Thr third grip frame hole

Started by antithesis, September 04, 2018, 11:38:59 PM

antithesis

I'll smack myself when you tell me,  but what's that second unthreaded rear hole for on the 22xx/17xx/prod grip frame?

It's for a pin to make a quick-detachable stock.  I have only seen it used on the 1389 backpacker.  I did not care for it because the pin hit my hand and the stock was too loose.    :)
Stranded in California.

antithesis

I figured as much haha.. I'll find a nifty use for it,  tho my current 2250 build does need a stock of some kind.. How stable was the 1389 stock for you?

antithesis

Oh damn.. Nevermind.  Stock loose,  gotcha.  Wonder if any of the craftier Folk here found a way to tighten it up?

nervoustrigger

The way I've dealt with slop in the stock is to drill a hole through the bottom of the plastic up into the trigger frame casting, then tap the hole for a #6-32 machine screw.

thestarlingassassin

ive found that #60 orings from lowes placed on the tiny pins that guide the stock onto the frame make it rock solid
will test airguns for free :)

The stock is not super loose, and would probably be all right for actual use in a back pack, but the main problem I had with it was that the protruding pin irritates the web of my hand. The o ring fix looks good.  :)
Stranded in California.

Noah

Quote from: thestarlingassassin on September 05, 2018, 04:42:05 PM
ive found that #60 orings from lowes placed on the tiny pins that guide the stock onto the frame make it rock solid

Can you share a pic of that?
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

BillK

The pin has been an irritant on all my pumpers.  Doesn't bother all folks though.

I use some blue painters masking tape on the bottom of the grip frame and a bit on the back  of the frame.  Usually  doesn't take much to get rid of the "wiggle".
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

thestarlingassassin

Quote from: Noah on September 06, 2018, 12:55:31 AM
Can you share a pic of that?

sure thing......

i circled the pins on each side of the grip frame that you add the orings to,
they slide into slots on the shoulder stock as you install it.

i use a total of 4 #60 orings,oil or grease them lightly for best results.

and as you slide the stock on (SLOWLY) squeeze the first set of orings tight to the stock with your thumb and index finger,
until they are fully inside the stock,
repeat for the second set, then install the grip screws.

makes for a rock solid stock.

Noah

Quote from: thestarlingassassin on September 07, 2018, 01:17:40 AM
sure thing......

i circled the pins on each side of the grip frame that you add the orings to,
they slide into slots on the shoulder stock as you install it.

i use a total of 4 #60 orings,oil or grease them lightly for best results.

and as you slide the stock on (SLOWLY) squeeze the first set of orings tight to the stock with your thumb and index finger,
until they are fully inside the stock,
repeat for the second set, then install the grip screws.

makes for a rock solid stock.

Now THAT is awesome - I wouldn't have ever thought of that. Well done, thank you for sharing.

In the past I used a piece of leather/felt to secure the stock but I like your tip much better. Thanks once again.  :-*
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

thestarlingassassin

Quote from: Noah on September 07, 2018, 06:12:42 AM
Now THAT is awesome - I wouldn't have ever thought of that. Well done, thank you for sharing.

In the past I used a piece of leather/felt to secure the stock but I like your tip much better. Thanks once again.  :-*

youre most welcome  :-*  glad to be of some help

Crosshairs

Great idea i used electrical tape cut to shape of the grip frame to thicken it up and help grips from sliding have had good success but will  definitely  try this.
         Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

thestarlingassassin

Quote from: Crosshairs on September 08, 2018, 02:14:56 PM
Great idea i used electrical tape cut to shape of the grip frame to thicken it up and help grips from sliding have had good success but will  definitely  try this.
         Mike

welcome sir  :-* always glad to be of assistance