2240 power adjuster

Started by Jaybo, February 03, 2019, 07:35:55 PM

Jaybo

I'm thinking about buying a power adjuster for my 2240.  Does it actually work?  What difference does adjusting the spring length make?

Hoosier Daddy

Not necessarily length as much as spring tension.
A power adjuster lets you change how hard the hammer strikes the valve.
Screw it in for more preload on the spring and a firm strike (more power) and out for less.
I find the benefit is a 2240 from the factory are gas hogs, I dial them down for normal targets /plinking to conserve CO2.
But when a critter is in the sights, crank her up and back to full factory power.
1377, 1740, H9A, 1701P, "2060" carbine.... plus a whole lot more ;)

Brutuz

Tip: if the co2 cartridge is empty do not dry fire w. the power adjuster turned in to up the power as the piercing pin can get stuck in the empty co2 cartridge. Guess how I know this.....
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

Hoosier Daddy

Jaybo

Thanks for the info!  Does more/less power change the accuracy?

Hoosier Daddy

Depends on your yardage... but essentially more power =higher and vice versa.
You need to think the pellet travels in an arch. If you re-zero after the mod to compensate. If you are close to the target, it may be low, and half way may be spot on, but far it may be high because the pellet is traveling farther before gravity takes effect on it's mass.

jebhoge

I've got a power adjuster on my 2300 (and a sleeved valve) with the idea being to dial back the power for increased shot count (it's a paper puncher, no big whoop) but honestly, without a chronograph, I can't tell much of a difference based on where the dial-a-pop is set to. I'm not putting one on my current project.

Jimbo

I've never heard of a sleeved valve, what's that all about?

jebhoge

Quote from: Jimbo on February 08, 2019, 09:53:12 PM
I've never heard of a sleeved valve, what's that all about?

It's basically just a brass cylinder with an outer diameter that matches the inner diameter of the valve. You open the valve cartridge, slide the sleeve in, and reassemble the valve, thereby decreasing the volume in the air chamber. You end up using less gas per shot, thus extending your shot count.

Hoosier Daddy

Quote from: Jaybo on February 03, 2019, 09:32:08 PM
Thanks for the info!  Does more/less power change the accuracy?

Now that I re-read your question I want to say "yes".
If you are not interested in "knock down power" but are an accuracy chaser like me, you will find most match grade guns shoot 500fps or less.
A pellet becomes unstable at the blistering speeds the current "lemmings" are after. Speed sells is what manufactures are catering to for the masses now days.
I punch paper with wadcutters for a rush. If I can stack 3 pellets (like my avatar) who cares how fast it gets there. ;)
A power adjuster will let you dial it DOWN to get where I want to be for ACCURACY. As a bonus you would be amazed at how many shots you can get out of a cart.

Jimbo

I have a power adjuster on my 2260 but I think for my 2240 I'm gonna get a 10" barrel and get as much as I can out of it. Yeah I want it accurate but I would rather have a few high power shots for the lousy tree rats then a lot of low power shots. I really am just gonna have it handy for when I need it so I probably won't be shooting it too much. I do want it to look kool  but it'll be much more sporting to get a few tree rats with the 2240 then the .25 marauder, that's just too friggin easy.

avator

The Challenger power adjuster is a drop in for the 2240 and can be bought from Crosman for around $12 last time I bought one.

T191032

Power Adjuster?

A good aftermarket one, YES. 
Give me 70 shots instead of 40 on a good day.
The Crosman one, No.  I wasn't as impressed.

And related springs mentioned in this thread -
https://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,2822.msg25369.html#msg25369
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.