2240 numbers

Started by Jimbo, February 17, 2019, 11:24:04 PM

Jimbo

After putting in a boss valve, boss buddy transfer port, aluminum breech, and a 10' barrel it averaged 475 for 18 shots with the Crosman 14.3 pellets. I kept a hand warmer around the tube and waited a little between shots. It was probably about 65 degrees in the shop. I guess that's pretty good.

mr007s

Are you noticing any hammer bounce?

cherokeesteve

Has the barrel port been opened up to match the inner diameter of the transfer port? (I'm assuming the boss buddy transfer port I.D. is larger than the stock one)
Looks like a good velocity number to me.
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

Jimbo

I don't think that there is any hammer bounce but how do I tell if there is and no I haven't made the hole in the barrel any bigger, should I?

CraigH

The barrel port must be enlarged.    All parts of the path, valve, TP, and barrel should be the same size.   Ensure no burr is left on the inside of the barrel (the leade) after drilling to size.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Jimbo

Is it as simple as finding a drill bit that will fit inside of the boss buddy and then drill the barrel with it? How would I clean out any burrs on the inside of the barrel?

mr007s

Quote from: Jimbo on February 18, 2019, 04:12:17 AM
I don't think that there is any hammer bounce but how do I tell if there is and no I haven't made the hole in the barrel any bigger, should I?

This explains it pretty well. https://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,15198.msg198938.html#msg198938

Jimbo

Wow now I don't know what to think, should I try and find one for my gun or not? Apparently Arkmaker doesn't think it's worth it tho.

mr007s

I cant say for sure but 18 shots seems low, suggesting wasted air some where. That led me to the hammer bounce post. I suggest searching for "the B-stanley mod (I think that is what its called). Involves some o-rings placed over the valve stem, reducing the hammer strike and the resulting bounce effect. The air saved will improve shot count.

Jimbo

I have heard of that when I was doing things to my marauder, I will definitely check it out thank you.

CraigH

First gently break off any large burr with a pick, then fine grit wet-or-dry sandpaper rolled with a very small taper on a drill bit of the appropriate size - also accomplishes the task of polishing the leade.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

ped

look at enlarging your valves volume along with flowing the exhaust port in .22 a tp of around .165" is about max you can port the barrel and not have pellets fall into the port
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

cherokeesteve

Quote from: Jimbo on February 18, 2019, 02:23:21 PM
Is it as simple as finding a drill bit that will fit inside of the boss buddy and then drill the barrel with it? How would I clean out any burrs on the inside of the barrel?

I was looking at Alchemy's web site and see that the Boss Buddy transfer port has an I.D. of .160. I can lend you a carbide 4mm end mill (.1575) that has a small radius on the cutting edges, helps cut down on burrs and will stay nicely centered to the chamfer on barrel port. PM me and we can work it out if you'd like. When I just used it on my 2289 project I just chucked it up in my cordless drill and inserted a small wooden dowel (Q-tip handle will work) in barrel to keep it from hitting back side after going through.
With the boss valve you've got the storage area for more air. With the boss transfer port you've got the larger pathway to get the additional air to your barrel. The last step is to make that pathway through the point of entry into the barrel the same as the transfer port to allow all that same air volume to the pellet.
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

Jimbo

After drilling out the barrel (courtesy of cherokeesteve) I shot it thru the chrony and the numbers are definitely higher but I'm gonna do it again and then I will post the results.

Jimbo

Now I'm getting an average real close to 500fps for 20 shots with the crosman 14.3 grain pellet. I'm fine with that, I'd rather have a few high power shots than a lot of shots at low power. I might get a power adjuster so that if I'm just target shooting I can adjust it down and if the nasty tree rats get annoying I can adjust up to full power. I think I'm where I wanna be :)