My first step

Started by Garmic, March 06, 2019, 02:37:16 AM

Garmic

I'm thinking of a steel lefthand breech with a hollow probe as a starter and then a prod trigger set may follow. Ive polished the heck out of the trigger and sear and sqeezed the daylights out of the spring but not satisfied.

BillK

Mountain Air trigger spring & guide works very well with a polished sear/trigger.  It is so much better than just the compressed Crosman trigger/sear spring.  The 1701 / P rod trigger assy is the next step up, best; but a bit more $.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

farrlarr

Welcome to the group and to the obsession!! :)

Rest assured that this won't be your last step.
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

KevinP

Welcome to the forum  ...   :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

CraigH

A little more polishing perhaps?   :D   Try contouring and polishing the contact patch of the sear and polish the surface of a clevis pin.   A lighter spring - get a #6 (or #16, cannot recall which at the moment) from the local hardware store assortment boxes works well.   The trigger will be very light.   Also shim the side play of the trigger and sear with tiny washers.   The trigger will of course still be single stage, but quite nice.    :)
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

ss23

Jimbo

Listen to Bill K when he says the 1701 p trigger assembly is the best, HE IS RIGHT!   And welcome to Capof.

Garmic

Thanks for the welcomes and mentioning the spring guide. I actually have a small lathe so maybe I will hold off and if it ever warms up I can go to the garage and try making one. I have some delrin and some nylatronMD and a little brass to play with. I was thinking of trying to make a hollow probe but the breech comes with one at a reasonable price. I do have a suspicion that money may become an issue after looking at all the great upgrades that are for sale out there.

Hoosier Daddy

A spent .22 LR case makes a fine spring guide.
1377, 1740, H9A, 1701P, "2060" carbine.... plus a whole lot more ;)

Garmic

I was looking at my crosman shopping cart and I have that 1720 trigger set in it but Im going to give the spring guide a chance. I dont have access to spent .22LR casings, I do have some .22 blanks for a nail driver though so I will pop one in this weekend and see if its long enough. My girl friend is gone for the weekend so it will be safe to set up the basement shooting range.

Plastic dry wall anchors, trimmed to fit also work well.   :)
Stranded in California.

Garmic

Well just an update. I am happy with my new breech and hollow probe. This is the first left hand bolt Ive ever used and I love it.I could also feel the difference loading a pellet into the breech, all pellets loaded smoother and less flyers. I was actually able to try several different brands to see which were most consistent with some ragged one hole groups at 10 yds, I can hardly wait to get outside for longer ranges. Maybe tomorrow if the weather is better.
My.22 blanks didnt fit the spring so they are probably a little different from regular .22 ammo. I did find a plastic drywall plug that is made from a hard plastic so it should last a while. I had previously polished the ends of the spring so the difference isnt obvious but I'll give it a while. I have two 14" barrels one from a well used pistol setup which I bought first, this barrel was noticably harder to pass a pellet through and it seemed more accurate than the new one that came with the 2250B kit. The older barrel had also been polished silver by the previous owner and I didnt like the looks of it so I had the new barrel on when I got the one holers. I thought about trying my hand at adding some choke which I have had success with in the past but I will hold off till I try for longer range.