Crosman black widow

Started by KevinP, March 25, 2019, 07:32:33 PM

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

CraigH

I have not.   My first thought was a relabeling of the Destroyer pellet, but they are 0.3 grains heavier - 7.7 grain vs 7.4 grain.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

mr007s

I have not seen those before

cherokeesteve

Never seen them, either. Is there a purpose to the dark color, other than to justify the name?
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

KevinP

Quote from: cherokeesteve on March 26, 2019, 12:33:16 AM
Never seen them, either. Is there a purpose to the dark color, other than to justify the name?

Most likely has to do with the name ....
Kevin
Albany, New York

cherokeesteve

Quote from: KevinP on March 26, 2019, 01:12:48 AM
Most likely has to do with the name ....
Noticed they have Black Widow BB's as well. Same dark color. "Maximum expansion" and "reduced deformation" for the pellets. I'd be interested in seeing how accurate they are.

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

Jimbo

Years ago  a round came out called the black talon , I still have a few for my .44 magnum but they quit making them real quick and I never did hear why. ???

JMJinNC

Maybe they are just rebranding Destroyers EX (7.4grain) pellets as Destroyers, and the "old" Destroyers (7.9 grain) are now Black Widows, plus a bit of graphite?

https://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=2337.0

Maximum expansion" and "reduced deformation"... doesn't expansion = deformation???

Just a thought.

John
John

CraigH

Quote from: JMJinNC on March 26, 2019, 12:57:24 PM

Maximum expansion" and "reduced deformation"... doesn't expansion = deformation???

Just a thought.

John

Personel writing ad copy have been becoming more and more clueless.    Not just at Crosman.

I guess everyone needs a job, no matter how incompetent.   
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

cherokeesteve

Quote from: JMJinNC on March 26, 2019, 12:57:24 PM
Maybe they are just rebranding Destroyers EX (7.4grain) pellets as Destroyers, and the "old" Destroyers (7.9 grain) are now Black Widows, plus a bit of graphite?

https://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=2337.0

Just a thought.

John

Didn't make any sense to me, either. One seems to contradict the other.

KevinP

Quote from: Jimbo on March 26, 2019, 03:36:33 AM
Years ago  a round came out called the black talon , I still have a few for my .44 magnum but they quit making them real quick and I never did hear why. ???

When the talon's first came out, I had the company rep come into the range with them, wanted me to approve them
for carry on the department. I looked at him and said " who came up with that name ? "  After a discussion with him and a phone call from some company rep. Don't remember his name but I think he was VP of something. They changed the name to I forget what. ( old guy syndrome )
Was a excellent round.
Kevin
Albany, New York

BillK

Mabey they mean size is more consistent with the "reduced deformation" claim. ???  I don't get it either.
Or perhaps, they think if you throw enough sh-- stuff at the wall, some of it will stick. ;) 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Jimbo

So they changed the name (why) to what and are they still around? I seem to recall something about how devastating they were and I could be wrong but they were calling them cop killers?

Hoosier Daddy

QuoteI could be wrong but they were calling them cop killers?

That is what I remembered them being called as well... and assumed that's why they were removed from the market.
Not for the "name" but their implied use.
They were "cut Hollow points that opened up and fragmented inside the victim
Seems to me I remember Emergency Room Doctors were cutting their surgical gloves removing the sharp frag and exposing themselves to Aids which was a new big scare at the turn of the century
1377, 1740, H9A, 1701P, "2060" carbine.... plus a whole lot more ;)

Jimbo

Yeah, I think that you are right Scott. I know they sure did a number on  the deer that I shot.