Crosman 13xx annoying clacking sound fix

Started by Stinger177, March 31, 2019, 04:29:59 AM

Stinger177

I posted this in another forum but thought this might be the best place for it.

We are all familiar with that annoying clacking sound of pumping up our Crosman 13xx's, right?

After using some of those vinyl hose cut-off sleeves (that always get cut in half after a few cocks) I've come up with a good solution to eliminate that annoying sound when the pump arm hits the bottom of the tube.

Use a 1-1/8" diameter x 1/8" thick rubber washer from the hardware store. Cut it to size as I did in the pics below. It should stick up about 1/16 to 3/32" above the metal arm. Use the forearm pin (or screw) to hold it in place and you're done!

All it takes is a good sharp knife to make, and they're cheap.

Hope this helps some of you.

You can view my gun list [Here]

mudduck48

That is a great idea. Good to see that someone finally figured out how to stop the click,clack when pumping. 8)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Stinger177

Thanks. Should last a long time as well. Certainly longer than the 100 or so pumps that I got out of those vinyl hose clipping sleeves that are sold for the same purpose.

The rubber washer is the cheapest way to get the base material and the bonus is that the hole is already there!!   :)

Brutuz

My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

cherokeesteve

That is great thinking outside of the box!
These trimmed and properly placed work nicely (more in the box):
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

Stinger177

Variations on a theme. I'm sure those will work just as well. I bought the washer because it was a consistent thickness across its diameter.

Didn't really think about other options as the idea came to me while buying a washer for a faucet LOL!!

Besides that, if I bought a pack of 32, I'd have to buy 27 more 13xx's to put them on. That's how I am, and maybe why I have so darn many guns.

BillK

I have always used the "furry" side of Velcro. :)
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

TomR_here

Sounds like something a 760 Pumpmaster would benefit from also.
Really gets annoying listening to that clacking.

ped

I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

cherokeesteve

Quote from: Stinger177 on April 01, 2019, 06:06:43 AM

Besides that, if I bought a pack of 32, I'd have to buy 27 more 13xx's to put them on. That's how I am, and maybe why I have so darn many guns.
I never would suggest something that might be used to justify purchasing more pumpers. 😇

Quote from: TomR_here on April 01, 2019, 10:22:53 AM
Sounds like something a 760 Pumpmaster would benefit from also.
Really gets annoying listening to that clacking.
Especially if you're out hunting with your pumper. Nothing attracts small game like the "wack" of plastic against a steel tube! All solutions to that are good solutions.
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

Stinger177

It's actually not the plastic of the forearm that hits, it's the two "blades" of the metal cocking arm that hits the tube. If you look at the last pic I posted above, inside the yellow circle, you can see where my rubber insert rises a touch higher than the blade edge. It's those two edges that cut through anything slid over them (such as the vinyl tubing that some people use). I would imagine that those edges would eventually cut through fuzzy Velcro as well. My solution transfers all the pressure straight down to the bottom of the groove it's inserted into.

it doesn't completely eliminate any sound, but takes it from the "clack" to more of a soft thump.

My next project is how to make a rubber cover to go over the area at the rear frame screw so it doesn't cut into the web of your hand. Ideas on that are more than welcome.  :)

Tommy

Quote from: Stinger177 on April 01, 2019, 07:33:03 PM
My next project is how to make a rubber cover to go over the area at the rear frame screw so it doesn't cut into the web of your hand. Ideas on that are more than welcome.  :)

I filed the corner round then used a black Sharpie to color it black.

trebor44

Great idea on the use of rubber washers.  I had a rubber 'filler band' (bike handlebar devices) that was of the right thickness and height so it was easy to cut to length and poke a hole for the handle cross pin.  Not absolutely silent, but much quieter.  Any thing that softens the clacking noise will work but a rubber 'bumper' will work the best.  Now to fix the 'wobble' on the 13xx's pump arm for my next project.

Stinger177

Quote from: trebor44 on April 04, 2019, 02:16:49 AM
Great idea on the use of rubber washers.  I had a rubber 'filler band' (bike handlebar devices) that was of the right thickness and height so it was easy to cut to length and poke a hole for the handle cross pin.  Not absolutely silent, but much quieter.  Any thing that softens the clacking noise will work but a rubber 'bumper' will work the best.  Now to fix the 'wobble' on the 13xx's pump arm for my next project.

Great!! Happy that someone tried it and approves.  :)

Someone out there makes a pin with an extra bushing inside that supposedly lessens the wobble. If I find it, I'll post it up.