Correct two hand hold?

Started by Hoosier Daddy, April 13, 2019, 03:27:19 PM

Hoosier Daddy

After acquiring my 1701P I am discovering I am not as good shooting pistol as I had thought. While not my first pistol, this gun is capable of one hole or at the very least touching holes, in 5 shot groups off a bag on the bench so I know it's me.
A little history. I am now 56 years old. I learned to shoot pistol at an early age from my Dad, a Korean War Vet. The grip he taught me was probably what he learned in the Marines for a 1911. Dad passed away when I was 18 so all his knowledge is lost.
I have a Ruger P-98 .45ACP and their 22/45 bull barrel and match sites, along with my Taurus 38 revolver. I have never had Official pistol training. I was in the Military, but the Air Force did not train its enlisted men on pistols, just the M16. So, I have just always used the hold I was taught many years ago. Sure, I could always hit "center mass" but nothing of target match quality.
Now in the last couple years I have air pistols and started with a PC77 (1377) I did the classic mods to it and can hit a coffee can at 20 yards, a 5" group at 10. I then got a 2300KT and built a 1740. I also had a Umarex "replica" blow-back but it was a joke.
I thought I was doing pretty good and the pistol was the limiting factor... But this 1701P proves I was wrong. It's more ME. This pistol is easily capable.
I am working on my breathing and muscle memory but without any real coaching I am going back to the basics and wondering if my hold is the issue.

Here is two photos of what I use.

I was taught this is more stable. Your off hand support giving a "base" and a triangulated arm placement on different planes.
Thing is, I never see anyone using this. Granted I shoot alone and have only seen photos and videos. Maybe I need to go to an official indoor range and seek training. But this being a pistol forum I thought I'd turn here first.

Thanks for reading and please chime in with your technique.
1377, 1740, H9A, 1701P, "2060" carbine.... plus a whole lot more ;)

Jimbo

That's the same way I hold my hand guns, by the way nice nails ;)

cherokeesteve

Same for me, too. As I get older, though, I notice my hands shaking more so even if I mutated and grew a third arm, I still wouldn't be very good at free hand. I don't think my sense of balance is what it once was, either. Probably why my wife is always telling me I'm unbalanced.
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

mr007s

Hoosier Daddy

Quoteby the way nice nails

Somehow I just KNEW that was comin'!  ;D

Jimbo

Oh I just couldn't help myself Scot, I just had to give my fellow Hoosier some grief ;)

Hoosier Daddy

Friggin Hoosiers.  ;)

mr007s, That is exactly why I asked. I have seen that hold in pics and videos much more common, almost prevalent.
Guess I can give it another try.... but it feels so "wrong" by instinct.

mr007s

Quote from: Hoosier Daddy on April 14, 2019, 04:00:41 AM
Friggin Hoosiers.  ;)

mr007s, That is exactly why I asked. I have seen that hold in pics and videos much more common, almost prevalent.
Guess I can give it another try.... but it feels so "wrong" by instinct.

It may feel wrong but put some time into practicing, before long your old grip style will feel wrong. Watch this video, several times if necessary. Have your pistol when ou watch and place your hands as he describes,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrA7wMXuuQ

Hoosier Daddy

Thanks for that, tomorrow is Sunday so I may get a chance to try.

BillK

You caused me to spend some hours watching "gun hold videos". 
From what I got that pertains to air guns is that the shooting hand hold should be with the thumb and the middle finger and lightly with the other two fingers.
That is with a One Hand Grip.
For a Two Hand Grip ... Do what ever works.  Main thing is being able to pull the trigger without the sights moving. 
Al it takes is shooting at least 30+ times a day.  Trying to do the same thing each shot and remembering what worked and what didn't if you make a change.
Practice---Practice---Practice---. :(     There is no magical grip or hold to shoot an air pistol.  Just got to keep doing it till you get it right.
Personally:  I use the TeaCup hold.(seeming same as you)

WHAT HOLD DO YOU OTHER GUYS USE????

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Hoosier Daddy

Thanks for sharing Bill, much appreciated.
Wish I could shoot 30+ every day that would be GREAT!

T191032

Hoosier Daddy,

That would be the old "Teacup" old you are using.  If it is working for you, continue to go with it.

Long, long, long ago (back in 2010) I made a post about Shooting Stances, so some of the links in it may be dead now, entitled "Some additional help with regard to Shooting Stance with Handguns." -
https://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,654.0.html

It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

Hoosier Daddy

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
Stance is another variable I had given little thought to. Turns out I have been using the "Weaver Stance" all these years.

T191032

Hoosier Daddy,

Glad it helped.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York