Old Crosman 150, 2 variant

Started by Nvreloader, September 09, 2019, 05:29:22 AM

Nvreloader

Well guys
I hope, I done good..........
I just got my hot grubbies on a Crosman Model 150, Co2 pistol, that is better than 90% OEM finish.
I have been checking all the posts for this model, not much here...that I can find so far.

There is a number "54" stamped into the end of the bbl tube cap,
and there is a plastic tag, "14.3 grs" stamped into it, that is on the loading gate,
which is loose and can be lifted up/down when in the locked forward position,
none of the screws appear to have been removed or touched.

There is, what I believe a double set of numbers, stamped into the pressure tube, very faint and HARD to read,
in front of the trigger guard, I have to get my big pair of cheaters out to see what's there.

The grips are solid 1 pc, and have the extended rear end, and are a Brownish color,
and slide down off the grip frame, after removing both side screws, there is a slide type, adjustable rear sight.

It had a smaller type of Co2 cartridge, that slide around inside the pressure tube, which was used.
"Does not work" was wrote on the tag along with the price etc.
On the rear end of the pressure tube, there is a small 1/8" hole on the end piece, that just spins around,
attempting to figure out how to cock it etc.

I found this Ser #? on the loading gate cover 96382, any guess on the yr?
I can see now, that I'll have to scope it somehow, as I can't see the front/rear sights, any more..........

Well, I got the Mag V-3 chrono attached, and shot these readings, first 2 shots were from the pistol lying in the hot sun,
I could barely stand to hold the pistol, it was so hot, so I'll discard them from the average,

514=514= Hot Gun / 456=445=448=451=452=449=449=452 = 448 fps average for 8 shots,

I didn't count the total of number of shots, but a SWAG would be 30+, then the cylinder was graveyard dead,
the first click/pull (1/2 power) does not work, no Co2 sounds being shot, would not shoot a pellet.
Shot everything on the high setting.......Do these reading sound normal for 14.3 gr pellets?

The end of a Coke can was group size at 25 yds, was the best I could do.............
a whole lot of shaking going on out there with the iron sights.....I am going to use a scope, I got to do better than that.

Also just found something surprising about my 150, it has 3 clicks for the hammer power settings....
I was fondling it,  after I mounted the scope mounts, on the bbl, (waiting on new pistol scope),
and when pulling the hammer cocking knob back, a heard 3 distinct clicks, no way I thought, so I tried it again.

And there is 3 distinct clicks, here is the approx measurements, from the end of the tube to the inside of the knob,
1= .175"  (this click sounds VERY weak, doesn't pierce Co2 cylinder and did not shoot a pellet, after cylinder was pierced),
2= .375"  (2nd click pierced Co2 cylinder),
3= .525"

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but this 150 has a 1/8" dia hole drilled in the cocking knob and thru tube block etc. So far, I have found, no info on the reason for this hole or it's operation etc.

So the information I posted, on the velocity readings, may have been wrong info,
(456=445=448=451=452=449=449=452 = 448 fps average for 8 shots),
the 2- 516 fps readings may have been from the 3rd (last) click, as I wasn't paying attention etc?

Your thoughts or suggestions.............

Tia,
Don
Hammerli 850 Air Mag -17 cal x 2, & 22 cal
QB-79- 22 cal / Guantlet- 22 cal / Crosman 150- 22 cal,  Second Variant Model
AF Recon Condor 22 cal- pending
CF 4500 45 min SCBA tanks x 3, w/SB F-10 compressor
-------------------------------
"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions"
Ronald Regan

Wayne52 †

Don you know how much I like my Crosman 150's, they're a really nice old gun for sure.

Modified Prod, 2300T, 2240 & 38T, bunch of Crosman 150's including a Ted Williams and a S&W78G

Nvreloader

Thanks Wayne,

That is a sharp looking shoulder holster, I see that you have the 1st variation,
does yours have the hole in the cocking knob?

I am looking for one also, right handed, for my scoped 150....
maybe my scoped 22 Jet holster will fit the 150, or the holsters for the scoped Ruger 22 auto's?
Will be checking them...

It is kinda hard (at least for me) to find much info on the 150,
I gave it a good dose of Pell Oil and it has been holding Co2 for the last couple of days,
just checked it and still works OK.

Would at least like to find the operators manual, I am attempting to find out the options for the hole in the cocking knob,
I have rotated it around to all the clock positions and don't see any difference or results.
This one LOUD puppy on the last click back.....

Tia,
Don

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions"
Ronald Regan

BillK

https://support.crosman.com/hc/en-us/articles/203542870-157-Owner-s-Manual-EVP-1958-1968-

No mention of a hole.  Might be someone's mod.  Could probably get a new knob ect. from JGairguns.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Nvreloader

Thanks Bill

Added that to my info page,

I have seen several photo's of these Crosman's pistols, that have a hole in the cocking knob,
but no one has commented on it's use etc.

By any chance do you know what type of valve this pistol takes/uses,
I would like to have a back up valve, just in case.
Any place to buy/get this valve? 
I'll check the bay, once I find the correct type needed...............

Thanks again,
Don

Ronald Regan

Nvreloader

Guys

I have been playing around with the 150, and found this info out,

I can load a OEM CMHP 14 gr pellet, close and lock the loading gate,
then open the loading gate and the pellet will fall out when the bbl is pointed up?   :o

This chamber dimension must be very loose, as the pellet does not stay put,
I wonder how much psi/fps is be lost slipping by the pellet, just laying there?

I am going to pull the rear sight/screw, and see if I can get any measurements etc.
I may need a better bbl and set up with a proper chamber dimensions etc.............
I am curious now.

Your thoughts.............

Tia,
Don

Ronald Regan

Multigunner

Try it with a Ruger pointed pellet, they weigh more and may be a RCH larger in diameter. I sighted my S&W 78g (modified with MAC 1 "hot valve") for this pellet and velocity is less but energy greater. It hits with authority and very good accuracy at well over 440 FPS, CHP give 465 FPS.

I would not consider replacing the barrel just because the chamber seems loose. if you think it affects accuracy or velocity first try spreading the skirt of a few pellets with the end of a large center punch and chrono them compared to un altered pellets.
Older Crosman pellets were generally of softer near pure lead, and expanded more easily.

My SSP 250 is supposed to have the three click settings but only has two clicks. The first click is simply to hold the hammer back off the valve stem when carrying loaded and on safe. To avoid accidental discharge if dropped.
The other two are for inside and outside shooting. The low velocity setting for indoor ranges.

Sounds like you are getting very good velocity. I'd be satisfied with that.

Nvreloader

MG

Thanks
I was greatly surprized that this happened, this is the first time ever, out of all my air rifles I have owned or shot.
I'll dig around in my stock pile to find a longer pellet, got some that were cast, they are longer/larger in skirt size etc.

I'll do some testing to see the results etc, as I need to know the bore size anyway, for casting pellets.

Tia,
Don

Ronald Regan

Nvreloader

Well Guys

I got the scope mount and mounted a 3x9 rifle scope on my 150,
have been playing around getting use to it, and the best group (5 shots) is around silver dollar size,
at 25 yds with CMHP 14.3 pellets.

Once I figure out how to hold this scope, very short eye relief, I am sure I can do better etc.
I got a 2x Lippy scope, but don't like it as well as the 3x9 ..........

Tia,
Don

Ronald Regan

Multigunner

Try Meister Kuglein wadcutters. They are the most accurate in all my .22 pistols.

Wayne52 †

I recently bought a wadcutter mold from NOE and my Crosman 150 absolutely loves them.
Modified Prod, 2300T, 2240 & 38T, bunch of Crosman 150's including a Ted Williams and a S&W78G

mudduck48

NOE? Where is that? Post a link please. Need more input. :)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Wayne52 †

Quote from: Nvreloader on September 09, 2019, 07:32:09 PM
Thanks Wayne,

That is a sharp looking shoulder holster, I see that you have the 1st variation,
does yours have the hole in the cocking knob?

I am looking for one also, right handed, for my scoped 150....
maybe my scoped 22 Jet holster will fit the 150, or the holsters for the scoped Ruger 22 auto's?
Will be checking them...

It is kinda hard (at least for me) to find much info on the 150,
I gave it a good dose of Pell Oil and it has been holding Co2 for the last couple of days,
just checked it and still works OK.

Would at least like to find the operators manual, I am attempting to find out the options for the hole in the cocking knob,
I have rotated it around to all the clock positions and don't see any difference or results.
This one LOUD puppy on the last click back.....

Tia,
Don
The only one that I have that's got the hole in the cocking knob is my Ted Williams, it's odd but I think the variations of this gun are probably very extensive and I'd be willing to bet that some of the Ted Williams models didn't have it as well. You can actually see the hole on this pic.

Wayne52 †

Quote from: mudduck48 on October 25, 2019, 04:00:19 PM
NOE? Where is that? Post a link please. Need more input. :)
NOE is in Utah, they're about the only place I know of in the US that makes airgun molds and the majority of the molds were designed by Bob Sterne, they have airgun molds from .22 cal on up,   One of my real favorites is a 27.5 grain hollow point slug I've been casting from pure lead.  Even those shoot remarkably well from the 150, I managed to get a chipmunk this past summer with one out of it.  I practiced a lot with my favorite 150, the pistol is nice in my opinion, you'll never replace this gun with anything on the market these days.

Here's a link to the store https://noebulletmolds.com/NV/login.php

Here's a link to their forum http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php

here's a video I did a few hours ago shooting the cast wad cutters, I call them 16.4 grainers because they're all really close.

https://youtu.be/3rWRfjnk54g