1377 first mod - trigger.

Started by Sweller, August 30, 2020, 10:28:30 PM

Sweller

Opinions, advice, suggestions, please.

I'm actually doing this mod for my 11 year old grandson. I tried to introduce him to my vintage 2100 classic, but with a trigger pull comparable to towing a utility trailer, I just don't see that happening soon. So this is going to be something of a balancing act. I'm looking for (pardon the expression) the most bang for my buck. That is, I want to understand what's the most cost - effective mod I can do that will yield the best results. Obviously, he won't be competing in 10m with this pistol, but I want to do what I can to ensure he'll have a positive and rewarding experience.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

mr007s

Sweller

Ah, thank you kindly. That was a great suggestion and will keep me reading for quite a while. I had done some searches, just not with those terms.  :-*
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

CraigH

There are a number of ways to improve the base Crosman pistol trigger.   Generally lightening the trigger/sear spring and polishing contact points.

Here is another arrangement with the spring guide on top, and re-contouring and polishing the sear to slide smoothly on the guide.

The guide is a shortened clevis pin.   The spring is a shortened spring from the hardware store assortment.

It is a very light pull.   Select and modify spring with care when used by younger shooters.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Sweller

Thanks Craig. Point VERY well taken. I've read about compressing the stock spring to lighten the pull. Might that be more prudent than a hardware store swap?
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

ped

the springs i use in my light spring guide kit is from wb jones in Kentucky and i had a load shipped over to the UK as at the time no where in the UK had what i needed
they do need the guide though for stability
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

CraigH

I should have mentioned the impetus for the re-contoured sear was observing the action of the spring and sear.

Recall the stock sear is flat.   When, during operating, that flat contacts the flat top of the guide (top of spring mounted) the spring is distorted and bent toward the front of the grip frame.   Not the end of the world, but I wanted to correct that.   And, so the re-contoured sear.

I have a video of the bending of the spring, but expect it will fail to post due to size.
No surprise - it did not load.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

Sweller

Thanks for pointing that out. It's subtle unless you know to look for it.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

CraigH

Quote from: Sweller on August 31, 2020, 06:59:56 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. It's subtle unless you know to look for it.

With a light spring and guide on top it becomes "unsubtle".     :)

The guide makes a portion of the spring ridge and the spring bends at the unsupported point.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

rangerfredbob

I've been happy with putting a spent .22LR case on the top of the spring then over compressing the stock spring to the pint where it has about 1/8" of preload .

I'd start there and see how you like it, of course some polishing won't hurt while you're in there, but doing the above only involves taking out one screw...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

ped

to counter the sring deflecting i tried cupping the tot of the guide and found no real benefit
i also tried adding a brass outer tube and again no real noticable difference
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

1377x

Quote from: mr007s on August 30, 2020, 10:40:01 PM
I searched for "improve trigger" and had many post show up.
Start with this one: https://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,9044.msg120143.html#msg120143
don't know if the tko trigger kit is still available I had one in a 1377 and it is a good mod. the best mod imo is adding a 1701p (p-rod) trigger group is adjustable. I don't know what it costs these days probably as much as a 1377 but worth it again imho.
closed mouths dont get fed

Sweller

Quote from: 1377x on September 01, 2020, 06:09:21 PM
don't know if the tko trigger kit is still available I had one in a 1377 and it is a good mod. the best mod imo is adding a 1701p (p-rod) trigger group is adjustable. I don't know what it costs these days probably as much as a 1377 but worth it again imho.

Ooh. That's the Crosman Silhouette trigger group? Looks to be as scarce as it is pricey. But it also looks like a one-step drop-in upgrade to a match grade trigger?

(Am I drooling?)
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

1377x

I hve some parts laying around if only I could remember where I put them but if I find them ill list them here. I used to get the trigger group for $25 from a local shop if I had ordered from crosman they were around $50. I moved and cant shoot outdoors anymore, ill find the parts one day when I have time and list them here
closed mouths dont get fed

CraigH

The last P-Rod trigger assembly (2220-103) I bought from Crosman was $36.51.   That was 1-2 years ago.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado