1377 second mod - open sights.

Started by Sweller, September 07, 2020, 07:05:42 PM

Sweller

I've been plinking away with what I have, but the urge for a more finely adjustable sight is strong. Without changing to a steel breech, there doesn't seem to be many options. Even with a steel breech there doesn't seem to be many options. With the intermounts there aren't many options. The Crosman LPA MIM is intriguing if not pricey. There's a Crosman/Williams that looks nice but isn't yet available. And there's the "Industry Brand Rear Field Sight" that may or may not fit without modification. Which brings up another point. *ALL* these options still employ the plastic front blade. Which does its job, but it seems kind of cheesy when paired with a rear sight that costs as much or more than the gun.

In addition to the "Industry Brand Rear Field Sight", there's a different one on ePay that also says, "Front sight may need to be adjusted...". How often does it happen the the front sight *doesn't* need to be adjusted?

Is this it? Am I overlooking something?

P.S. I've noticed the barrel has a bit of wobble/looseness which is probably a good reason to get a steel breech - which also means replacing the rear sight. Or getting an after market barrel band which is made of unobtanium.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

arkmaker †

First mod should always be a steel breech or some kind of aftermarket breech with a dovetail or picatinney. Until you do that you are stuck with the sites you have now or get the adapters that clamp on the barrel. But then you still have to deal with the barrel moving. Sorry for the bad news, but it is the reality. I did see the steel breech somewhere for 35 bucks recently, but I've not found it. Even at 50 bucks, it is a good investment. You can get a bolt and handle from Mellon Air on the cheap to go along with it.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Sweller

Crosman's price is $35 complete. But their shipping seems a bit high at $12 for ground. It may be worth it since it *is* Crosman and if there are any issues, they should take care of it.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

mr007s

Blue fork design use to make a front sight for the 1377. They were sold by hpasports. Doing some digging I found that hpasports has closed shop.
I found Bluefork design on facebook and this was posted: So hpasports has decided to call it quits.  "Thank you Joe for offering my stuff at hpasports." I will continue to sell my products thou. Email me at gshooty@yahoo.com to order them. I'm also interested in finding somebody to sell them as well. Email me if your interested.

This may help with your problem. The sight is a fiber optic. I had one and paired i with a Williams rear.

You might want to compare prices for ordering a 1377 from Crosman shop.
It will come with a steel breech and other goodies of your choosing. Could be less costly and safe you the hassle of taking your pistol apart. Just a thought.

Sweller

Thanks for posting the pic. I just sent him an email asking for prices.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

mr007s

You are welcome. I think I gave around 50-55 bucks

Sweller

Ah, what the heck. I just put in my order with Crosman for a breech and an LPA MIM sight.

"It's only money."
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

BillK

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

BillK

Quote from: BillK on September 08, 2020, 02:45:18 AM

This is my most accurate 1377.  1701P trigger group, extended probe alum. barrel band w/set screw.  Plastic breech drilled for barrel set screw and for mounting a rear Discovery sight.  LW barrel & target grips.  Pump arm is a reversed & converted 760 pump arm.  Light & accurate & PIA & expensive. :-[

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Sweller

Please explain reversing the pump arm. Does it break open from the front? What does it get you?

Otherwise, nice investment!
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

BillK

The pump mechanism is not changed.  I reversed the pump arm and shaped it to my liking to fit the pistol.  It was just "klunkly looking" otherwise.  At least IMHO.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

arkmaker †

Bill.... You been holding out on that one. After all these years, I am still amazed at the ingenuity of you guys! That rear site is great 👍👍 Like the pump arm switch look too 👌

Sweller..... It you can live with a plastic front site and do ever get a longer barrel, you can pick one up from Mellon Air for a very low price. I've used them in the past and they work great.  Also, have you checked out Alchemy Air? Dave's a member here and is known to give us guys a break from time to time on his parts.

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

arkmaker †

Sweller

Thanks arkmaker. I saw that before I made up my mind. At least until I change my mind, I'm going with open sights. For me anyway, they're just more personally challenging. Also, among many others, I've got Alchemy bookmarked.

BillK: Where did you get that barrel band?
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

Sweller

This wasn't easy to get a decent pic, but what you're looking at is a map pin cut to length and super glued into a hole.002 over. I did this before I ordered the LPA MIN sight, thinking i was going to get the "Industry Standard" sight that required raising the front blade. This works well with the factory blade. So well that I'll probably keep it if it's not too tall for the LPA MIM. Does anyone know?

EDIT: So the answer is this is too tall for the LPA MIM sight. As nice of a piece of hardware as the LPA MIM is, it doesn't really have a lot of adjustment up *or* down.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.