My observation on the 2240

Started by Hoss, October 12, 2020, 03:01:14 AM

Hoss

After taking a close look at the workings of the 2240, l can see so many things that really reduce the efficiency of this pistol. I guess that's why they make so many preference parts. You would think that crosman would address these issues. I can see where you can greatly improve the fps just by addressing the problems associated within the barrel chamber alone, exhaust port, pellet seating depth within the chamber and so on.

BillK

The corrections/additions all cost $ & therefore reduce Crosmans profit.  We all have to keep them profitable so they stay in business & we can play with their products.  Not to mention the good guys that make the after market performance/upgraded parts who need a platform to improve & us Crosmanahloics to keep them in business.
I only wish I could spend more $.  ;) 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Oldgunner43

I would say that the majority of people who buy airguns at the low-priced end of the market aren't very concerned about the efficiency of the guns since the cost of shooting them is significantly cheaper than even rimfire guns.  As long as the gun is easy to operate and reasonably accurate at short ranges, there's a market for them.  Even the Daisy Red Rider BB gun is still on the market because it has an enduring  niche.  As mentioned earlier, the large number of after market components that are available from several sources make Crosman's low cost guns attractive to purely recreational shooters and hobbyists - like us.  Crosman has no need, from a business standpoint, to make any improvements under these circumstances.  However, it does offer Custom Shop models for those who don't want to do any "upgrading' themselves.  I see parallels to this in the firearms markets as well - Glock pistols are a prime example.
Addicted to handguns:
S&W revolvers (7), 1911 design semi-autos (9), and now Crosman air pistols!

Hoss

The things that I'm talking about should not add any cost to the gun. For example, the power valve retaining screw hole in the gas tube, it would be just as easy to drill the right size hole as compared to the over sized one. This would eliminate the value from sliding back and forth in the tube, and if drilled in the right place it would also keep the exhaust port in alignment with the tube and the Barrel.
But like you've said it is a relatively cheap gun to purchase, I've found out one thing though, you can spend a lot of money trying to make this gun into something it wasn't intended to be in the first place.

By the time you buy the gun and all of the preference parts, in my opinion, I think I would have been better off buying a better gun in the first place. But then, I guess I wouldn't have all of the fun working on it. :)

Brutuz

My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

Oldgunner43

It's kinda like reloading your own ammo.  You start doing it to save money and then it becomes a fascinating hobby in itself.   Why not?
Addicted to handguns:
S&W revolvers (7), 1911 design semi-autos (9), and now Crosman air pistols!

KevinP

In my option, for what it's worth  :D

The 2240 out of the box will hit a Squirrel in the head at 20 yds out of the box.

It will hit a spinning target out of the box

it is an intro to the more precise guns made

they hook you with the cheep .....  been going on for years

it's called marketing , they are good at it

just my 2 cents ....  Kp   :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

Swoab47

I'm new here, and don't even have my 2240XL yet, but I am chomping at the bit to get it in the mail very soon.

I really enjoy tinkering with air rifles so the 2240 was a very easy purchase for me.  I went with the XL because it already comes with a steel breech and the threaded barrel cap.

I agree with the statement that it would not take much to refine some of the less expensive air guns out there, but I totally understand why the manufacturers don't.

Happy plinking folks!

MrMike

My favorite air gun ever is the Crosman 22XX. My first air gun was a 2240 purchased from Amazon for $51.00. I just wanted something to play with in the backyard. I just finished up #16 yesterday to give as a gift to my stepson.

I agree that Crosman could do many things different with the basic 22xx gun but at the price point, they offer an excellent affordable accurate pistol that seems to draw people into the air gun hobby world. In my world changing the basic 2240 to a "better" gun would take away the reason why I enjoy owning so many. Every one of my guns are different. My workbench looks like I am a parts dealer. If it is sold I probably have bought and tried it. I admit to spending more that I probably should have and that I could have bought 2 or 3 match grade guns for what I have spent but I would be missing the enjoyment of modifying the guns to suit my personal tastes and meeting new friends. Since I started my 22xx addiction several of my friends and family members have brought me their 13xx and 22xx air pistols to have me bring them back to life, modifications, or for a tune-up. I have enough pistols and carbines to let them try out to see what they would like to change while still keeping their "original" gun. Sunday afternoons watching NASCAR or NFL in the garage with a brisket in the pit and shooting at targets with friends is hard to beat.

I believe that Crosman has been doing it right for a long time.
Mr Mike
San Antonio, TX
If you aren't the leader, the view never changes.

Brutuz

My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

Hoss

I'm working on two of them right now, can't wait to see how well they shoot.

Desertplinker

For years I lusted for a 2240. bought and sold dozens of air rifles and air pistols, but when I saw the 2240XL I had to have one. I never wanted more power. The whole object was a great garage shooter. So I installed a lighter hammer spring. An adjustable trigger spring. The big one for me was swapping out the barrel for a 10 inch. Never had a CO2 air pistol completely apart. Things went well and it has been holding gas for weeks, I am now ready to shoot a string across the Chronograph and see just how many full power shots I get.  I am expecting to get near the stock FPS with the longer barrel and a few more shots with the lighter hammer spring. If I get near 50 shots with one CO2 cart I would say that is awesome for the low price of the 2240XL.

BillK

A very good looking shooter you have there.   :-*
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II