Buncha noobie questions

Started by Trust1984, January 08, 2021, 02:03:52 AM

Trust1984

Hello all.

I so little prior experience with pneumatic launcher that I might as well be starting from zero.  I was able to talk to a couple of local air gunners and they gave me a few points and suggested I look here also.

I intend to pick up a 1720T when they are back in stock.

I want to pick up a little variety of projectiles to start with to see what it likes best and how I perform.  Looking online I am seeing over a hundred different designs, weights, etc.  Any recommendations for a few options to try first?

Are the L-W barrels stainless or standard steel?  I live in a high humidity area and am often fighting rust on my tools and tooling.  Would like to know if I will have to be oiling the bore to prevent rust.

Any recommendations on scope rings for it?

I would like to put a stock on it for much of the paper punching I will do with it.  I see the Crosman stock that replaces the grip is rather cheap.  Seems like a good price.  There is another stock design that attaches to the rear of the receiver.  Often I see those using AR style telescoping stocks.  How do the stocks that attach to the back of the receiver stay attached?

Gippeto

Lots of guys using Crosman hollowpoints, would also get a tin of JSB Exacts to try out...I find that they shoot very well in LW barrels. The softer lead deforms more easily in the choke as well...my 1701P shot faster with the heavier JSB's than the harder (but lighter) Crosmans.

LW barrels are steel.

For scope rings, you get pretty much what you pay for. No need to break the budget on them for a pcp though, middle of the road price wise will be fine.

Al

BillK

I am sold on the BKL rings.  Local Co. and an excellent product.
The JSB pellets are usually a "one hole" pellet with the 1720.  1720 is a sweet shooter. :-*
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BKL_30mm_Rings_3_8_or_11mm_Dovetail_Matte_Black/2905
OOPS!  I highlighted the 30MM rings instead of the 1" rings.  I use the one inch type scopes on a lighter type carbine as the 1720.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Trust1984

Thank you.  Much appreciated.

Now just gotta wait for Crosman to have these in stock again.

A29Adriver

The Straight Shooters sample pack is priced OK, but the shipping is around $20 so I will wait until I have a couple of items to purchase in order to justify the shipping cost.

BurgermeisterMeisterburgr

Richard Meyer | Louisville, KY
1322 - 1377 - 1740 - PSM45 - 454(2) - 2250 - 2260
Shiloh 1861(2) - SNR357 - 2100 - Benjamin Prowler
Sig Sauer P226 - P365
Umarex Mauser M712 - P08(Backorder)

Sweller

Howdy. Sorry I'm late.

I suggest you first try to determine what kind of shooter you are and pick your pellets based on that. I'm strictly a paper - poker so I'm always looking for the ideal wadcutter. Before my 1377 evolved into a 1740, it seemed to favor a medium weight pellet. After upgrading the barrel, it now prefers lighter pellets, but will sometimes surprise me worth a tight group from a heavyweight pellet.

As already stated, LW barrels are steel. Very mild steel. Keep it lightly coated with PelGun Oil and it will be fine.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

Trust1984

Finally they got back in stock.  Got my 1720T in the mail today.

Now I just need to get everything else I need for it.

I really appreciate the advise.  Thanks.