painting white dot to williams notched sight

Started by with657, February 26, 2021, 04:46:18 AM

with657

I like the Williams notched sight, but I wish it has dots just like LPA MIM. 
I have plan to change the front sight with fiber optics. Then aiming will be easy for me by aligning 3 dots.

Any idea put the dot?
Thanks, Chan
Enjoying the world of air gun..
now two 2300S.

BillK

The thing I have done:  Clean with alcohol swabs, apply paint with the pointed end of a toothpick.  You should practice this a few times on a scrap piece so you know how much paint to have on the tip.  If you are doing colors other than white, do white first.  Let it dry and then do your color.  Colors don't show up at all on a black background.  Remember, all you need is a small drop of paint.  I have used TruGlow and have been happy. 

https://brightsights.com/coatings.php
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

RetatCDude

I take the blade out and with a drill and bit the size dot you want, I carefully create a small crater to hold the drop of paint.
Don't go to deep.
Maybe 1/64th"...
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Sweller

Are you doing it for the looks or because you believe it will improve your aim?

In the case of the latter, I have the LPA, and at the moment I've got mine covered with electrical tape. Since I keep focus on the front pin, I found the white dots distracting. Otherwise, these guys have it right. So just to refine and combine...

Use a center punch or sharp nail to mark the locations where you want the dots. I can't tell you how many times I've goofed up a simple project by not marking the location before drilling, allowing the bit to wander. And then, I can still goof it up.

Drill gently and carefully to the size you want the dots. If the material is plastic, this is best done by hand.

Thoroughly clean the locations with alcohol.

Use a toothpick to carefully fill the locations with paint. My Mrs. has a paint called Ceramacoat. It's an acrylic and is very durable once dry. AND if you goof, it'll will come off with alcohol so you can try again.

P.S. Before doing anything permanent, you might try adding a couple of temporary marks with masking tape just to see if you really like it.  ;)
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

A29Adriver

Nail polish will work, but you can't make mistakes because it is not forgiving.  Only hard rubbing with acetone will remove it and any plastic parts that come into contact with acetone will be affected in some way, from a small amount of glazing to complete melt down.

with657

Thank you so much, advices. I need to get toothpick first. :)
Enjoying the world of air gun..
now two 2300S.

Sweller

A straight pin will work. Or a broom straw. Almost anything you can either clean or you don't mind getting paint on.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

RetatCDude

Quote from: Sweller on February 26, 2021, 07:57:37 PM
A straight pin will work. Or a broom straw. Almost anything you can either clean or you don't mind getting paint on.

Or, spaghetti! ;D
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Sweller

Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.