1701p LPA Rear and front sights

Started by Rezarf, March 06, 2021, 09:58:22 PM

Rezarf

Purchased a 1701P since I wanted a 0.177 PCP target pistol. Got the Crosman LPA rear sight, since the group I shoot with uses iron sights as a requirement. I had the 'can't adjust the rear sight high enough' syndrome since the front sight was too tall. Not sure where I read it, but folks are replacing the stock blade front sight with a pin of appropriate height to get on center with some adjustment left in the rear sight. Curiously, I took some measurements, and found the pin on the front sight was 0.122", just under a 1/8" shaft (which would not fit). I found the original blade sight height to be about 0.570" (base of pin to top of blade). So I've obtained 1/8" rod stock from the hardware store, cut off a 2 inch piece and chucked it in my drill press. Using a file and successive sanding grits I 'turned' the rod down to approximately 0.122", and then cut off different lengths of the rod to insert as a front sight, starting with 0.500", then 0.525" and 0.550". Blued the rods with some cold blue just to keep off any rust. I'm thinking the 0.550 inch rod would work well, since the original sight gave POI at about 1-1/2" high, and the 0.500 rod bottomed the rear sight out just about on target. Using white nail polish put a base coat on the tip of the rod and then recoated with orange polish. I'm old, and I need some color! We'll see how it works out.
Any others solved the problem differently?
I'm kinda thinking of finding some 1/8" id bushings that I could put over the front post to get more width to the sight picture. Anyone got dimensions for something like this?

RetatCDude

I thought the front sight was designed so you could loosen a screw and then turn the front sight to make it wider.....
you can remove the front sight and file it some to make it shorter..
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Rezarf

Yes, there is a set screw, but there is no screw thread on the shaft of the sight blade. You can raise it slightly, but you can't lower it. The collar on the front sight makes it so you can't lower it by filing off the base rod. When you turn it, it simply gives you a "fatter" front sight to give you a different view from the rear sight. Works real well, but the LPA sight won't go up far enough to hit the target center. I could have filed off the top of the front sight, but I like to keep my stock components stock. I want a defined sight picture that puts me on center. So I had to cut shorter rods to get the sight picture I needed. The 0.550 rod worked great - dead on with plenty of adjustment left on the rear sight. Now I want to get the wider front sight!

RetatCDude

You already have the wider sight blade.
Loosen the screw and turn the sight.
It will get wider.
If you don't want to file (it won't take much. An RCH should do it.) then order another blade.
Maybe $3.00...

Before shaving the front, "I" would lower the rear, all the way...

Yes I had a 1701P..
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Rezarf

You make an excellent point - I'll put the front sight post on the list for the next Crosman order -- have to make that shipping charge worth the parts!

RetatCDude

Keep an eye on the gauge.
When I bought mine it had to go back after three weeks.
Fill port leaking and while they had it, THEY replaced the gauge...
Might just as well order a valve poppet too..
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Rezarf

Yep, I've got a BSA R10 that has a leaking problem - I've managed to source most of the seals to the USA, just have to get them into the regulator! Thanks for the advice!