Dodgy DIY Pellet trap

Started by schnoo, March 07, 2021, 04:29:38 PM

schnoo

Fancied breaking out my seldom used Gamo Compact to practice and then enter one of the monthly CAPOF comps BUT... no pellet trap or target holder.

I could order one from Amazon for pennies that would arrive tomorrow but why do that when I can make one from some janky old scrap metal?  :-*

(It actually works quite well)

A29Adriver

JMJinNC

Nice!  Filled with rubber mulch?

JMJinNC
John

schnoo

Thanks guys  :)

Nah, I just leave the back metallic and the bottom open so the pellets drop into a tray for recasting into fishing weights.

Sub 12 ft lbs doesn't even make a dent at 10m!

And I like the 'ping' sound  8)

JMJinNC

Got it. I live in a wooded neighborhood, so I'm all about stealth; rubber mulch and duct seal in my traps, and muzzle brake on my squirrel gun.

JMJinNC
John

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

schnoo

Quote from: JMJinNC on March 08, 2021, 02:05:19 AM
Got it. I live in a wooded neighborhood, so I'm all about stealth; rubber mulch and duct seal in my traps, and muzzle brake on my squirrel gun.

JMJinNC

Makes sense... very considerate!

Fortunately my neighbours are far enough away that I don't have to worry

Thanks KevinP!

DHunter

A box of books works too, with old phone books, catalogs, unwanted books, etc..

KevinP

I have been using phone books, getting hard to find ....
Kevin
Albany, New York

schnoo

jkingrph

Looks like a good job, wish I had the welding skills and equipment.  Aren't you concerned about ricochets/ bounce backs with that straight back. 

schnoo

If you know someone with welding gear I highly reccomend just having a crack at it.

Its good fun and easy to make functional welds even if they're not pretty!

I did wonder if that might be an issue but haven't had any ricochet or bounce back yet, all pellets nicely flattened on the back wall and dropped into a catch tray below.

jkingrph

I was wondering about the bounce back.  I have a commercial model with the angled back and a trap and if too close I can at times detect some bounce back.  Be careful.

Rezarf

Interesting project. Do you know what gauge the metal was?

schnoo