CO2 cartridges

Started by jkingrph, March 30, 2021, 08:58:54 PM

jkingrph

I just wiped the local wal mart out of 40 pack of CO2 cartridges. They only had three packs  but at $15.46 could not pass up.  Pyramid Air wants about 25+almost 13 shipping.  I was also looking for some of the cheap .22 pellets, but all they had was .177. Will check another town Friday when I visit the VA clinic

mudduck48

Red Rock has CO2 at the best price, and free shipping. Check them out.
http://www.redrockminnesota.com/12-gram-unthreaded/
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

jkingrph

Quote from: mudduck48 on March 31, 2021, 05:52:42 PM
Red Rock has CO2 at the best price, and free shipping. Check them out.
http://www.redrockminnesota.com/12-gram-unthreaded/

Thanks, I will have to look at that.I see you have to buy 180 to get free shipping, but that is good.  Now if they do not charge sales tax it is really a good deal.   How do they compare to the crosman powerlets.  I just went ahead and ordered 300, no tax, saved about 7 cents per cart, considering the tax rate here saved me about $21,

mudduck48

I bought 200 a while back and IMO they work great. They also have a safety seal on them. If you leave them on the dash of your car in really hot weather, they will not explode. You bought 300? That is .35 ea, can't beat that. ;)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

jkingrph

Yes that many plus what I have will probably last me a lifetime at my age.  I do plan on giving the grandson some along with a pistol to start learning to use.

mr007s

I did a test of the two brands years ago. I weighed a dozen carts of both brands both full and empty. There were very little difference. I then cut several of each brand open and the crosman had a thin black film where as the redrock did not. You cant go wrong with the redrock. If you dont want the expense of 300 maybe find a buddy to go halfs with yoy

PaPa K

Seems Redrock might be temporarily out of cartridges. Given the current situation is that typical? I would like to order 300 pack, not sure how often this occurs. Thanks.
2240..1377..1322...RWS 48...Beeman 19

KevinP

I have been using the Red rock and have had no problems ... I have about 800 of them ( I don't think I'll outlive them )
I gave a big pile of crosman to  my grandson , he is a happy camper  :-* :)

also gave him a few guns .....   ;)
Kevin
Albany, New York

PaPa K

Red Rock has the 12 gr cartridges back in stock (for now)...Just ordered 300, should keep me going for a little while >:(

Cables

Speaking of these

I didn't know they lost pressure in cold weather

Has anyone used a thermal blanket with temperature controller wired for rechargeable lithium batteries to maintain peak performance?

PaPa K

Many folks keep their spares in an inside jacket pocket, large quantity you might have to have a small insulated bag or similar.

Cables

Quote from: PaPa K on May 18, 2021, 03:12:08 AM
Many folks keep their spares in an inside jacket pocket, large quantity you might have to have a small insulated bag or similar.

Exactly my point

So a cartridge at 70F has a static pressure of 850-900psi

At 60F and lower, the pressure drops to a level at or below the limit of airgun operational stability

There's a whole lot of opportunities for modifications

More investigation required

Rezarf

In the days of C02 paintball, I understood there was a lot of effort in exploring expansion chambers and heated chambers (although I have been unable to find anything on the Web). The desire in the paintball world to fire rapidly accelerated the conversion to HPA, since the cooling-on-expansion problems essentially could not be overcome economically. C02 is convenient here in Florida, since we have more consistent warm temperatures, and I'm not into rapid or timed shooting with the pistols. I do have a Crosman 1077 hooked up to bulk C02 (lotta fun! 😁) and I can freeze the valve on that puppy if I have enough loaded magazines on hand!

Cables

I was looking at maximum temperatures allowed for the 12g size and then a quick check is chemical hand warmers and their maximum temperatures. The two are very close.

I am curious if the hand warmers could be incorporated into trips for pistols or chamber sleeves for rifles.

Rezarf

I often wondered if there was an easy way to get the best performance out of a CO2 cart, so @Cables quest piqued my curiosity. I found this page: http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/gasses/co2dynamics.shtml  that discusses the nature of CO2, again with paintballers as its focus. From the explanations, it sounds like the ideal temperature to keep the gun (and all 'gas channel' parts) at would be 88 degrees F to allow for full vaporization of the CO2 liquid, and still keep the pressures safe. If I understand the tables, heating the cylinder beyond that will begin to cause squirrelly things with the pressures. Of course, if you could "flash" the valve with heat at the time of the hammer strike, you could increase the firing pressures to whatever, but then you might be getting into some safety concerns. I think that temperature control to the degree that you would get consistent pressures would be overly complicated... and much easier to just go to HPA. However, in my working with airguns, I have often found complexity and cost are often ignored for the sheer pleasure of tinkering. 😉