CO2 cartridges

Started by jkingrph, March 30, 2021, 08:58:54 PM

Cables

If the CO2 cartridges were stored at 88F, had a thermal sleeve, that would be something.

If bronze wool were used in the gas chamber, the thermal mass of the bronze wool may even out thermal variances in the cooling effect of repeated fast shooting operation.

Perhaps even bringing the gun mass to 88F with thermal breaks to isolate from ambient variations from 88F could be achieved.

I have been looking at many of the modifications discussed and see the opportunity for serious gains in operational temperature considerations.

Uncle Fester

I worked in the space industry for a few years. On one of my assignments, I had to assemble a battery bank board with thermal control. Basically, the batteries each had a heater wrapped around them and there was a centrally  located thermocouple to measure the overall temp of the board.
The battery cells were roughly the same size as a cart. So here is my idea:

Affix a heater to the tube exterior, a thermocouple to the endcap in contact with the cart, circuit board and battery in the grip/frame and go from there.

The circuit board will be quite small with today's components and utilize a micro-controller to regulate the temp.
Battery power will be the big issue here. A rechargeable cell is required for power to the mCU and heater. It will no doubt be larger than what may natively fit in the grip area. Some fitment (carving out) will be needed.
Next will be the wiring management. The heater will not be too bad but the thermocouple on the endcap will need a jack and removable plug to facilitate cart change outs. This will also means a small amount of wire will need to be exposed.

Overall, this is really not a complicated mod to build and incorporate. I suspect the project cost will be below the $50 for the DIY folks.

One point to focus on is the thermal exchange between the pistol tube and the cart. There isn't a solid bond and this will cause the heater to run a bit less efficient thus, extra battery drain.
A short term (very messy) solution would be to coat the cart with silicone heat sink compound.
I highly recommend NOT doing this.
KC5CQW since 1993
Maumelle, AR
RWS 75 t 01 (Made in W. Germany 1991)
Crosman 2300S "Lightly modified"

mudduck48

IMO, after you do all of that, you will need to read the thread on how to remove a stuck cart out of your tube. :(
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Cables

Quote from: Uncle Fester on May 25, 2021, 08:49:00 AM
I worked in the space industry for a few years. On one of my assignments, I had to assemble a battery bank board with thermal control. Basically, the batteries each had a heater wrapped around them and there was a centrally  located thermocouple to measure the overall temp of the board.
The battery cells were roughly the same size as a cart. So here is my idea:

Affix a heater to the tube exterior, a thermocouple to the endcap in contact with the cart, circuit board and battery in the grip/frame and go from there.

The circuit board will be quite small with today's components and utilize a micro-controller to regulate the temp.
Battery power will be the big issue here. A rechargeable cell is required for power to the mCU and heater. It will no doubt be larger than what may natively fit in the grip area. Some fitment (carving out) will be needed.
Next will be the wiring management. The heater will not be too bad but the thermocouple on the endcap will need a jack and removable plug to facilitate cart change outs. This will also means a small amount of wire will need to be exposed.

Overall, this is really not a complicated mod to build and incorporate. I suspect the project cost will be below the $50 for the DIY folks.

One point to focus on is the thermal exchange between the pistol tube and the cart. There isn't a solid bond and this will cause the heater to run a bit less efficient thus, extra battery drain.
A short term (very messy) solution would be to coat the cart with silicone heat sink compound.
I highly recommend NOT doing this.

Yes, I found inexpensive temperature controllers that run at 12VDC. Discrete (build from parts) may be the way to go for this design.

What do you think of a soft drink type insulated cooler with the capacity to hold cartridges at 88F in heating or cooling mode?

Use a thermal blanket to maintain temperature of the cartridge only while in the gun?

May also consider a thermal mass surrounding the cartridge to hold temperature only while in the gun.

There seems to be room in the cartridge area of guns in general and the extra area around the cartridge could be space used for either insulation or thermal mass.

It may be interesting to see what nano materials could perform in the stated conditions.

Shouldn't consideration also be given at this time to climate in area this is used. For example, here in Florida I would want heating and cooling. Maine, where it is cold everyday with the sometimes exception of July 4, heating would be more than adequate.

Cables

Quote from: mudduck48 on May 25, 2021, 03:18:15 PM
IMO, after you do all of that, you will need to read the thread on how to remove a stuck cart out of your tube. :(

Specify what type of gun(s) that would not have any clearance for a cartridge with a blanket or mass modification. Would there be room in the area of the cartridge mount to modify the tube?

Another thought for a rifle with tube location under the barrel, put a fore grip there, put cartridge in the grip, use a ninety degree adapter to make the connection from straight tube to grip.

mudduck48

I'm sorry, I should have made it more clear. I was thinking of wrapping the cart with silicone wrap. Probably get the cart stuck in the tube. :( 
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Cables

Quote from: mudduck48 on May 25, 2021, 06:31:44 PM
I'm sorry, I should have made it more clear. I was thinking of wrapping the cart with silicone wrap. Probably get the cart stuck in the tube. :(

Oh no, don't be sorry.

Speaking for myself your input and suggestions are worthy.

The more participation the better.

:-*

jkingrph

Quote from: mudduck48 on May 25, 2021, 03:18:15 PM

Which thread are you referring too?  I looked and the only suggestion I saw was to hot glue a rod to the end.  I cannot locate my hot glue gun so that was not an option.  I tried some very strong magnets and no go , the first one I tried drilling and that was a pain. the cart wanted to spin so holding it still  was a problem, then it was still stuck so hard on the piercing pin it took some force to get it off the pin.  I  am beginning to think I may have dry fired the gun with a spent cart in and don't know if that could be the problem, no pressure to force the pin back.

crossliner

Quote from: jkingrph on May 26, 2021, 12:58:40 AM
Which thread are you referring too?  I looked and the only suggestion I saw was to hot glue a rod to the end.  I cannot locate my hot glue gun so that was not an option.  I tried some very strong magnets and no go , the first one I tried drilling and that was a pain. the cart wanted to spin so holding it still  was a problem, then it was still stuck so hard on the piercing pin it took some force to get it off the pin.  I  am beginning to think I may have dry fired the gun with a spent cart in and don't know if that could be the problem, no pressure to force the pin back.

Disassemble it.

A Red Rock C02 user complained of some cartridges being too tight.

jkingrph

22Plinker

June 2021. Wally World, College Place, WA had 12 boxes of 40 for $15.46.
6 boxes of Crosman LHP22 for $6.47.
Website does not even show these as available anymore.
I bought 11 so someone else could have a are you kidding me moment?
$16 bucks for 40 12gm cartridges?  Life is good.

RS-MN

Quote from: jkingrph on March 30, 2021, 08:58:54 PM
I just wiped the local wal mart out of 40 pack of CO2 cartridges. They only had three packs  but at $15.46 could not pass up.  Pyramid Air wants about 25+almost 13 shipping.  I was also looking for some of the cheap .22 pellets, but all they had was .177. Will check another town Friday when I visit the VA clinic

I did the same thing. They only had one a week ago, but I also picked up a couple 15 packs they had for $6.97. Today I picked up 3 more 40 packs today. That will keep me going for long time. :)