2240 safty spring/indent ball hint

Started by mikld, May 15, 2021, 08:26:26 PM

mikld

I've watched a few videos about working on a Crosman 2240 and every one gives dire warnings about losing the tiny safety spring and detent ball when removing the grip assy. Luckily I didn't lose mine but I had a hard time inserting them and keeping the ball/spring in place when reassembling (life long machinist mechanic with fat, sausage fingers that have great difficulty picking up holding small parts.). So I got some of my Lucas Red-N-Tacky grease. I put a little dab on the ball and I could pick it up with tweezers. Same with the spring. The small amount of sticky grease will keep the ball/spring in place even when inverted. Not enough grease to get anywhere it's not wanted and the parts will stay in place quite well...

Jes an old mechanic's sharing...

Rezarf

I kinda liked the recommendation to superglue the ball to the spring...but then I bought a 100 pack of ball bearings. I should probably run over the floor of the workshop with a magnet - I think I could probably double the ball stock!   

49Panhead

jkingrph

Quote from: Rezarf on May 15, 2021, 09:24:40 PM
I kinda liked the recommendation to superglue the ball to the spring...but then I bought a 100 pack of ball bearings. I should probably run over the floor of the workshop with a magnet - I think I could probably double the ball stock!

Never thought of that, will have to try next time I work on one. and also get some of the sticky grease, my synthetic grease is not tacky enough.

mikld

The super glue is a good idea, but I'd probably lose them together! The grease will keep them, as one piece or two, in place in the grip assy. even when inverted. Old mechanic's trick, often used to keep screws on a screwdriver, or keep a nut on your finger when you can't get your whole hand in a tight place to install a nut...

crossliner

Grease has been the staple for so long a time, but some have migrated to glue.

I think the grease and glue topic have been discussed in this forum more than 10 years ago, IIRIC.

crossliner

A machinist made me safeties in brass and ss that were slightly tapered—or it could be that they are slightly over in size?

Never did measure them though, but I have them in Asia.

They work very well without those infernal ball and spring.

I dunno how he did it exactly or if he was even aware of the anomaly, but when I mounted them I was pleasantly surprised of the interference fit when I engaged them, so I removed the ball and spring to test my theory, and they did function w/o those funky parts.

mikld

Quote from: crossliner on May 16, 2021, 09:08:01 PM
Grease has been the staple for so long a time, but some have migrated to glue.

I think the grease and glue topic have been discussed in this forum more than 10 years ago, IIRIC.
Yep, just thought I'd share something that worked for me. New airgunner here, but long time gun nut. Started shooting 60+ years ago and taking guns apart for maybe 55 years. The grease trick which I've used often holding tiny gun screws, was taught to me when I was about 12 by my mechanic father, and for some reason not a lot of folks know about it...

22Plinker

My opinion only. I removed the safety post, spring & ball from my 2300KT.
I consider a single shot pellet pistol or rifle as safe as my Ruger single six 22WMR pistol & it does not come with a safety.

BillK

About the only reason I keep the safety's on my Crosmans is to teach my grandchildren gun safety.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

I do not believe the safety is needed, but it is easier than filling in the holes.
Stranded in California.

crossliner

Quote from: 7624452 on June 09, 2021, 05:58:09 AM
I do not believe the safety is needed, but it is easier than filling in the holes.

Mine have stainless Don Cothran safeties, but there are no springs nor balls in the crevice--just for show  :)

ped

i remember Chongman making safety inserts so that the safety could be removed
i keep meaning to make a few brass ones like i do for the qb78's
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

Multigunner

Something I'd read about and tried once to see if it works is to take a small ball headed pin and cut the shaft to length then slide it into the spring.
The heads of these pins are not all the same size, some are glass while others are plastic.
It works but I'm not sure for how long. At least the shaft of the pin prevents it popping out easily to be lost.

PS
Vaseline AKA White Mineral Jelly is a good enough grease for anything that doesn't move very fast. Axle grease is just another grade of Mineral Jelly, either Red or Brown.