2240 to 2300 .177??

Started by RS-MN, June 01, 2021, 08:42:23 PM

RS-MN

Before I go down the rabbit hole of mods and money...i have a some questions.

I have a 2240 that is at least a decade or two old, but wasn't used much. I'm thinking of converting it to a 2300 style .177 for targets. I have done the trigger mods (sear, shims), but that's as far as I've go so far. The trigger is much improved. I do need to re-seal it and I have those now, but before I tear it down, I'd like to have all parts on hand for re-assembly.

What is the current opinion of these:

1. Breech - I would like to upgrade that to something with a dovetail for a red dot or better open rear sight. I see there are two different length steel breeches on the 2300T vs 2300S. Is one better than the other? Also there seems to be 2 styles depending on screw placement. My older 2240 has the screw forward near the front of the breech opening.

I see the long one available on Crosman's site and other places on the web, but I haven't seen the shorter one available. I'm also unsure where the breech screw is on the newer steel breeches that are available. Is there a link to Crosman's parts? Their website doesn't list much..unless I haven't found the right spot.

2. .177 Barrel - Is the Lothar-Walther 10" barrel on the 2300S a worth while improvement over the 10" Crosman barrel on the 2300T? Or is the Crosman barrel plenty accurate at target ranges?

3. I'll probably have to moderate it. Does the 2240XL 1/2-20 Barrel end part just press on to either 2300 barrel? (Lothar-Walther or Crosman). Not sure what an open front sight would be with a moderator. I suppose a moderator that uses grub screws is also an option.

4. Power adjuster? Worth it or not? I see it is on the 2300S but not the 2300T.

5. Will it need a new bolt for .177? I've seen some comments that the .22 bolt will work for .177. Is that correct or does .22 bolt 'work' but not work great?

6. What am I forgetting?

7. ...or Should I just get a new 2300P or T (or 1701P) because I'll be spending that much in mods anyway? :o

crossliner

I would get a 1701P.

I have not shot my pumpers and C02 guns in almost a year (?) since my custom PROD and 2260 PCP came into fruition--so easy to hand pump these guys  :-*

Right now, I am building a 1701P-1720T hybrid.

Oh, I am not fond of pistols, but I am of carbines.

The build that you want is actually this pistol:

https://www.crosman.com/product/crosman-2300s-silhouette-competition-co2-air-pistol-177-caliber

This one is $206 right now with FREE SHIPPING and by using AGNATION as discount code.

I would still go 1701P.

CraigH

I will only address the breech right now (busy!)

There are three Crosman steel breeches;

- 2300-047 - short, with rear location of the 4-48 machine screw (bare breech with one barrel set screw in the "wrong" location, IMO - drill and tap for a 2nd barrel set screw approximately above the TP location)

- AS2250-025 - long, with rear location of the 4-48 machine screw (bare breech with one barrel set screw in the middle of the breech - drill and tape for a 2nd and 3rd barrel set screw - JMO)

- The "Kit" breeches - long, with forward location of the 4-48 machine screw
   The kits (.177 & .22) are identical except for the bolt (probe) and probe seal (So yes, bolt change for caliber change)

I believe it may be safe to say most 2240's except for very early production, have both 4-48 screw locations punched into the gas tube, but only one taped for the screw.   (I am doing just that now on a 2240 tube, that I have lightened with several slots milled into it)

The correct 8-32 machine screw for the breeches is AS2250-015 (included in the kits)

Steel breeches are heavy compared to the plastic breech of 2240 - that may point you to the short breech especially if using shorter barrels.  (Or you may like the additional weight of the long breech)
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

RS-MN

Quote from: crossliner on June 02, 2021, 02:53:24 AM
I would get a 1701P.

The build that you want is actually this pistol:
https://www.crosman.com/product/crosman-2300s-silhouette-competition-co2-air-pistol-177-caliber

This one is $206 right now with FREE SHIPPING and by using AGNATION as discount code.

I would still go 1701P.
I think I will get a 1701P...whenever it gets back in stock.

But I've decided this 2240 needs to become very similar to the 2300s.

RS-MN

Quote from: CraigH on June 02, 2021, 04:28:27 AM
I will only address the breech right now (busy!)

There are three Crosman steel breeches;

- 2300-047 - short, with rear location of the 4-48 machine screw (bare breech with one barrel set screw in the "wrong" location, IMO - drill and tap for a 2nd barrel set screw approximately above the TP location)

- AS2250-025 - long, with rear location of the 4-48 machine screw (bare breech with one barrel set screw in the middle of the breech - drill and tape for a 2nd and 3rd barrel set screw - JMO)

- The "Kit" breeches - long, with forward location of the 4-48 machine screw
   The kits (.177 & .22) are identical except for the bolt (probe) and probe seal (So yes, bolt change for caliber change)

I believe it may be safe to say most 2240's except for very early production, have both 4-48 screw locations punched into the gas tube, but only one taped for the screw.   (I am doing just that now on a 2240 tube, that I have lightened with several slots milled into it)

The correct 8-32 machine screw for the breeches is AS2250-015 (included in the kits)

Steel breeches are heavy compared to the plastic breech of 2240 - that may point you to the short breech especially if using shorter barrels.  (Or you may like the additional weight of the long breech)
I'm wondering if the aluminum breeches I see online are the way to go (with the .177 pin assembly)? better than plastic and not a heavy as steel.

I'm kind of leaning that way and also adding the 10" .177 barrel (not the L-W version) with a threaded adapter on the front for a moderator.

I'll probably mount a red dot on it for sights.

crossliner

They are OK.

I gave mine away though 'cuz I did not like the finish nor the way the cocking handle sat on the slot.

RS-MN

Quote from: crossliner on June 04, 2021, 01:06:22 AM
They are OK.

I gave mine away though 'cuz I did not like the finish nor the way the cocking handle sat on the slot.

Good to know. I'll go with steel.
i think the long breech will be better for mounting a red dot/scope.

RS-MN

I ordered most of the 2300S upper parts direct from Crosman today - Breech, Long Nose Bolt, LW .177 Barrel. They didn't have the power adjuster in stock so I ordered that off of Ebay.

I'm still under what a new 2300S would cost - even with a popular discount code...if they had one in stock. You don't have to mod much before you appreciate the fact a new pistol isn't that far off.  :o

Now to find a good set of target grips. Looking at options from these places.
https://alliancehobby.com/wood.grips.htm
Steve Corcoran Grips https://www.scstocksandgrips.com/crosman-grip-design (I really like these grips!)
https://store.dbwebbinc.com/Crosman
Interesting custom 3D printed grips - https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/store/p3/Sized_Grips_-_XXS_to_XL_-_All_Air_and_Standard_Pistols.html

Or maybe just get a set of 1701-P grips. I'm liking those too.

PaPa K

I just received a set of Steve's grips for my 1322, and they are beautiful. Waiting for a few more parts so I can put it all together. His stuff is nice.
2240..1377..1322...RWS 48...Beeman 19

RS-MN

It's all together and shooting well. I learned a couple of things along the way.
Since i had an older 2240 I needed to do a bit of machining - drill and tap a #4-48 hole for rear breech screw location and then grind the hammer for screw clearance. That was the extent of the modifications. Everything else was bolt on assembly work.
All new seals were installed.
Another barrel grub screw was added to the breech 1" forward of the existing one. (those are #8-32).

RS-MN

I also designed and 3D printed a barrel muffler for it. It's very effective. Let's me shoot in my basement range without any complaints.  :-*

Using an older BSA red dot.

Initial FPS was 570 with Gamo Match wadcutter pellets with the adjuster turned most of the way in. I turned the adjuster all the way out and got it to be about 510-515 for most shots. I'll have to record a full string with a new CO2 cartridge.

I have a Super Sear installed, but I think a bit more trigger work is needed. I'd like to get the release a little easier.
I don't have a trigger scale, but maybe adding the adjustable spring or a lighter spring? I'm open to suggestions.

RS-MN

I'd like to find a different sight with a smaller red dot. Any suggestions would be helpful. I haven't shopped them for a while. I think this BSA is has a 5 MOA dot size?