Finishing a frame polish

Started by ThatFella, July 31, 2021, 04:54:54 PM

ThatFella

Good Morning all!  So the thought of polishing the frame and band on my 2240 has 'crosed' my mind.  Realizing I'm far from the first to have this idea I got curious as to what some have done about the trigger group cover plate.  Currently I'm chewing on two solutions- A, try to find a paint that is a good color match for polished aluminum, but this still leaves me with the unpolished texture and the possibility of the paint flaking/scratching etc.  B, cutting a new plate out of sheet aluminum, counter sinking/dapping the screw holes, and adding a small tubular rivet for the raised collar around the safety before polishing that up.  Pretty sure I'd be more satisfied with the results of 'B' but that's significantly more work for a part that doesn't really show much once the gripsare on, especially with some custom grips.  What do you cats have for experiences/thoughts on the matter?
Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You may pick two..

JMJinNC

I've seen machined aluminum cover plates on eBay.

As for painted plastic, maybe go for something that matches or complements your grips?

JMJinNC
John

ThatFella

Hmmmm, musta missed those while I was window shopping...🤔  Just throwing $ at it sure would cut down the work..😜

crossliner

Polishing ZAMAK material is not worth it—-I have done it.

You have to wear gloves if you don't want it stained.

One itty bitty touch from bare skin is all it takes.

It is like litmus paper, believe me.

And don't believe that "you have to wax it" BS.

Moreover, blowholes, some larger than pinholes, will be visible.

Have it powdercoated or Cerakoted (Cerakote will stick on plastic) if you want it to look great.

BillK

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

jkingrph

Quote from: BillK on August 05, 2021, 07:08:17 AM
https://onlinestore.magnumairpower.com/products/custom-pistol-trigger-cover-aluminum
Magnum Air has an alum side plate.

Nice, I got the last of the one's on e bay a month or so ago.  They are currently out of stock.  I am hoping they get some more made.

ThatFella

Cool! Thanks guys, lots to consider before I take the leap.. :-*

Multigunner

Quote from: crossliner on July 31, 2021, 05:23:29 PM
Polishing ZAMAK material is not worth it—-I have done it.

You have to wear gloves if you don't want it stained.

One itty bitty touch from bare skin is all it takes.

It is like litmus paper, believe me.

And don't believe that "you have to wax it" BS.

Moreover, blowholes, some larger than pinholes, will be visible.

Have it powdercoated or Cerakoted (Cerakote will stick on plastic) if you want it to look great.

I've had the same poor results with 38C and 38T frames, ending up repainting with several coats of baked on enamel. Matt black polished back to a semi gloss finish is pretty close to original look.

I've thought about trying a clear coat on a high polished frame, but never got around to it.

BillK

I have Clear Coated a couple of polished frames.  That is about the only way to keep a polished frame from tarnishing.  After polishing, use gloves and wipe down with alcohol and paint.   Worked for me. 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II