Crosman 22xx/17xx - why bolt is on the right?

Started by alanpo, August 15, 2021, 06:06:13 PM

alanpo

Maybe it's just me, but why does Crosman 22xx/17xx have a right side breech bolt when most shoot right-handed? Is it just because bolt action rifles have a right side bolt? For the pistols, not the same thing. Would be quicker, simpler, less awkward for me to have it on the left side when shooting right-handed. But maybe Crosman 'marketing' requires it on the right side. Yeah I can buy a left-handed breech but then I have to make sure it can fit my LP MIM sight too, plus I already have a steel breech.

Sweller

Hmm... I had to think about it because it's so fluid and intuitive, but here's how it works for me...

After I fire (right-handed), I transfer the pistol to my left hand, placing my left index finger through the trigger guard at the same time my left thumb depresses the safety. Then I cock the pistol with my right hand, pick up a pellet between my right thumb and index finger and place it on the end of the probe, and close the breech, ready for the next shot.

That's what works for me. I left out the part where I drop the pellet in the dirt, but that's also why I do it the way I do it. I'm a world-class klutz. But so far (knock wood), I haven't dropped the pistol yet. Same method works with my carbine.

I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, but the majority of the populace (and hence their target market) are righties. However I have seen a couple of ambidextrous breeches.
Stephen Weller
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.

Jimbo

Yeah Sweller, I do it the same way you do, to me it would be awkward to have the bolt on the left side.

alanpo

That's pretty much how I load it now too. But would prefer to keep holding the pistol with the right hand and cock and load with the left hand like I do with other air pistols, quicker and no switching hands for every shot.

CraigH

Inertia - inertia of style and appearance.    All right-hand bolt-action rifles have the bolt on the right hand side so an air pistol would have to be the same.   Right?
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Multigunner

If you are right handed its far more natural to load the pellet using the right hand. If the gun were magazine fed a left hand bolt would work fine, but these are single shot guns.

Since you will be pumping up the guns that aren't CO2 powered you'd have to transfer the gun to your left hand anyway while using the right hand to do the pumping.

Might as well wonder why they don't use a straight pull bolt like my 78g.

Surely some one makes after market left hand versions.

Rezarf

Once I have my right hand grip, I drop my left hand after the shot and tilt the gun to the left, reach over and drive the bolt with the left hand, load with the left hand, and close with the left hand. Reseat the pistol by pushing the breech down into my right hand, and regrip for the shot. Seems natural to me, but much easier with a left handed bolt.

alanpo

Quote from: Rezarf on August 16, 2021, 04:01:29 PM
Once I have my right hand grip, I drop my left hand after the shot and tilt the gun to the left, reach over and drive the bolt with the left hand, load with the left hand, and close with the left hand. Reseat the pistol by pushing the breech down into my right hand, and regrip for the shot. Seems natural to me, but much easier with a left handed bolt.

This is what I feel I should be doing, but I always just switch hands. Hence the original question about the left handed bolt.

So after all seems like they did it because that's how it's done on rifles.