Is there a way to adapt the 1701 Silhouette single shot breech for a magazine?

Started by Washbush, September 16, 2021, 05:55:14 AM

Washbush

I bet someone has tried ... does anyone know of a way to adapt the 1701 Silhouette breech, which is single shot, so it will take a magazine?

RetatCDude

Sell the pistol and buy a Benjamin Marauder Pistol.
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Rualert

I know this is old but I would guess that the P-Rod mag might work once you remove the single shot tray it comes with. I have also wondered the same thing just haven't tried it yet. May very well have a P-Rod coming my way and I will be happy to at least try and let you know.

Casey

RetatCDude

The PRod is .22.
You might try a .177 Marauder Rifle magazine.
I do not think it will work.
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Rezarf

interesting - I just went the other way, put a single shot tray (3d printed) onto the Marauder! I like to place the pellets into the breech.  :)

RetatCDude

The first PRod I bought, the previous owner also installed a single shot tray...for FT purposes.
He also had the pistol tuned to 12fpe.
I had the 1701p and my 1720T that I bought for FT.
I enjoyed them both but when I finally discovered I could not shoot pistol FT, the 1720T was sold.
I traded the 1701p to Motörhead for some tuneup work on my FT Marauder.
I recently bought a like new PRod and I like it a lot.
In pistol and carbine configurations.
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

TomR_here

Rezarf

The breech loading port on my Prod is 0.635 inch; the same dimension on my 1701P is 0.765 inch, so there would definitely be some shimming involved to adapt an existing Marauder magazine to the 1701P. At least on my guns.

Rualert

Since Crosman does make a PRod in 177 named the FT model, I would guess with a little work, or maybe a breech swap that it can either be converted or maybe as noted above shimmed so the mag will fit. The barrel would need to stick out enough to catch and hold the mag also.

Casey

P.S. I'll measure both of mine (1701 and new PRod) to see what I have as a difference too.

RetatCDude

Nope.
The 1720T if also a single shot.
Could change the receiver.
Just sell the 1701 and get a PRod..
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Rualert

After measuring my Silhouette PCP I also got the same dimensions as Rezarf, however, the bolt holes for mounting the breech, and the length of the beach are exactly the same. So rather than buying an entire PRod, you could purchase just the breech and swap it out to have the ability to use both your single shot tray and magazines.

Casey

P.S. There's a reason we refer to most of the Crosman pistols especially as the Lego's of airguns because you can build anything you want from them. In this case, Crosman chose wisely to use the same dimensions for both their single-shot breech, as well as the PRod breech. Thus saving cost on their end and giving us the options when we look a bit closer to once again take a part from one and simply use it elsewhere.

Rezarf

Y'know, I was thinking of rotary magazines adapted to the 1701P. But there are stick magazines that would work and would be easily 3d printable. I'm thinking similar to the Avanti 853C or the old Crosman Powermaster 66. Only five/six shots, and have to be manually indexed. But less fumbling for a pellet. Indexing would have to be thought about, since the Powermaster has a built in 'hump' in the receiver that the magazine rides on and uses to index the pellet.