Washers for Crosman 2240 Steel Plastic Breech Screw?

Started by alanpo, September 27, 2021, 03:36:53 AM

alanpo

Seems I could use some very thin washers for the 2240 steel breech screw. Sometimes its finicky to load pellets without some small wiggling because the small hex screw is slightly recessed in the screw hole. There is someone in the UK selling a pack for $20 with shipping. Anyone know where to source these a bit more locally and economically? I've read about the candle wax trick but don't want to do that. I tried mucking with some tiny 2mm outer diameter washers to bring them up to 7/64" inner diameter but it was still too thick! Seems the hole is just 3/16 diameter and the small hex bolt is 7/64 diameter.

"Washers for Crosman 2240 2250 Steel Plastic Breech Screw" Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265257969903

UPDATE: Seems my standby electronics online store digikey.com might have what's needed. part RPC9899-ND: .21 each, 4.99 USPS shipping. 2500+ In-stock. Details: Nylon FLAT WASHER, .110 ID, .170 OD. .51mm thick (vs. .73mm for the metal washer that was too thick). 1 washer should do it...though there's some chance it will still be too high, but seems about right and it's compressible nylon and easily sand-able to make thinner

Brutuz

My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

mudduck48

Why don't you just take the metal washer and sand it down thinner? ???
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

alanpo

Quote from: mudduck48 on September 27, 2021, 02:36:25 PM
Why don't you just take the metal washer and sand it down thinner? ???

Thanks but the washers are TINY and hard steel. I don't have the tools to do sanding work on something that's the size of a wristwatch part. It was hard enough enlarging the hole 1/64" or so with a Dremel conical diamond grinding bit, they kept flying off and joining the socks that disappear in the dryer :).

mr007s

Many years ago, I bought a package of these screws.  They are slightly over sized, but it is easy to chuck them into a drill and use a file to fit them exactly to the breech.
Stranded in California.

Rezarf

I've gotten brass, nylon, and steel shim stock washers off of eBay over time, primarily to fix the trigger wobble on the Crosman 2240. Knowing the specs you want, you should probably continue your search - I get around 50 for $3 delivered of standard metric washer stock. Advertise sizes starting at M2 and going up.

alanpo

So I got the nylon washers from DigiKey. Great place for electronics parts, BTW.

Per my calipers they are .56mm thick. I had to reduce them to .40mm thick in order for the cocking bolt to be able to fully push back in. Since it is nylon, that was easy, just put the washer on a piece of sandpaper and used a finger to rub it back and forth.

However, it didn't help smooth pellet loading completely, since there's still a lot of extra 'lip' due to the curviness of the breech. Did it help? I like to think so. See pics. I do know that Crosman now sells steel breaches with a hidden breech screw, don't know why they put the screw in its original spot.

BEFORE, AFTER, and the breech Screw and washer pics are shown below.