2300S vs 2289 breech..

Started by Simplemann, November 26, 2022, 08:39:16 PM

Simplemann

Hello all, I have a Crosman 2300S and 2289 both great air pistols  :) when loading the 2289 (plastic breech) its a simple process, however when the 2300S lets say its not as smooth. Im assuming that's due to the steel breech? Maybe the J&B paste job would help??

RetatCDude

The difficult loading you are encountering with the 2300s has to do with the pellet touching the top of the screw just inside the breech that connects the breech to the air chamber(Part #5).
Some people polish this screw.
Some people put some wax on it.
Me?
When chambering a round I lift the muzzle vertically and the pellet chambers effortlessly.
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Simplemann

Hello Frank and thank you for your input :). The screw is under the probe so I don't see how that's possible to be interfering with the movement of the pellet  ??? Its not that big of a deal I just have to give it a little more push to get the pellet into the barrel. I'll experiment with different pellets to see what happens, again thank you for your input  :-*

CraigH

The 2300S and 2300T have the rearward located 4-48 screw steel breeches, although one is the short breech and the other is the long breech.

In my experience, the plastic breech on the 2240/50/60, 1377/22, 362 guns, even with its limitations, does operate a bit smoother than the steel breeches because of its softer surfaces.

Check for burrs in the port of the barrel - the pellet head may be catching there.  Try feeding the pellet with the barrel pointed up and see what this feels like.

Polishing and/or  careful fitting of the barrel-to-breech diameter can help.

See attached image of a 1322 with polished barrel and the long steel breech with forward located 4-48 screw.  Please ignore the embarrassing amount of dust on the camera lens!   :-[     Note that the breech has additional barrel retention grub screws, the third of which is directly above the TP.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Brutuz

I point the muzzle to the floor and drop the pellet in  :-*
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

RetatCDude

Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Simplemann

Quote from: CraigH on November 27, 2022, 04:16:39 PM
The 2300S and 2300T have the rearward located 4-48 screw steel breeches, although one is the short breech and the other is the long breech.

In my experience, the plastic breech on the 2240/50/60, 1377/22, 362 guns, even with its limitations, does operate a bit smoother than the steel breeches because of its softer surfaces.

Check for burrs in the port of the barrel - the pellet head may be catching there.  Try feeding the pellet with the barrel pointed up and see what this feels like.

Polishing and/or  careful fitting of the barrel-to-breech diameter can help.

See attached image of a 1322 with polished barrel and the long steel breech with forward located 4-48 screw.  Please ignore the embarrassing amount of dust on the camera lens!   :-[     Note that the breech has additional barrel retention grub screws, the third of which is directly above the TP.

Ok thanks for the reply and input :-*

Simplemann

Quote from: Brutuz on November 27, 2022, 10:33:05 PM
I point the muzzle to the floor and drop the pellet in  :-*

Thanks for your input also  :-*

Simplemann

Quote from: RetatCDude on November 28, 2022, 12:39:06 AM
16 posts and he is an expert.

I don't know what your talking about?? Who's an expert??  ???

ped

i do like Bert and point the muzzle down
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

KevinP

I also do the muzzle down technique.  :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

Simplemann

Shot the 2300S today and tried the muzzle down and it did help a bit but still not as smooth loading as the 2289. Again thanks to all that gave suggestions  :-*.

rangerfredbob

Polishing the transition on the end of the barrel should help, just be careful not to take too much off since that's where the breech O ring seals...

I usually load with the barrel up method, that way I can get the skirt on the tip of the probe before pushing it forward, too easy to get the pellet sideways or backward with barrel down, but I haven't shot a lot in a while...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Simplemann

Quote from: rangerfredbob on December 04, 2022, 07:53:46 AM
Polishing the transition on the end of the barrel should help, just be careful not to take too much off since that's where the breech O ring seals...

I usually load with the barrel up method, that way I can get the skirt on the tip of the probe before pushing it forward, too easy to get the pellet sideways or backward with barrel down, but I haven't shot a lot in a while...

Ok, thanks for your input  :-* and lets get out there and do some shooting  ;)

cjtamu

About a 45 degree angle up works best with mine.