my elbows are killin' me!

Started by millipede, December 28, 2010, 10:46:30 PM

millipede

i may have to get a co2 gun. all of a sudden my elbows started hurting REAL bad after pumping my gun only a few times...  i cant shoot anymore because the pain lasts for hours after shooting my 1377 only a few times. anybody else get this problem? im only 27 and im falling apart!  :-X

Nate

i cant say that i have that problem, maybe because i use alot of mechanical advantage when shooting my pumpers, i start to close the pump arm, and once i am close enough i take all 4 of my fingers and clamp them on top of the barrel and then clench my fist to finish the stroke

dan d

I'm 20 years older (48) and I shot my 1322 for a good hour today, feeling good as of right now, this is the longest period of time I have shot it since I got it. Did you have a previous elbow injury ?  Maybe it's the way your holding it ? I'm not a pro on that, I hold it upside down with the barrel resting on my leg and pump away. Each shot I made 10 pumps.

Maybe that's why there are so many CO2 guys out there, I was a CO2 guy in my former (younger) days, but the lack of power in the winter for squirrel hunting using CO2 caused me to sell the gun.

Dan

millipede

im not sure what the problem is. ive never had any injury. it just started a couple days ago. i dont even shoot much, just whenever i let my dog out to poop i shoot a few pellets at a tree stump in the backyard. or if its not raining i might sit out there for about 20 minutes until i get annoyed at not being able to hit anything  ???

im pretty bummed about it because i really wanted to get a benjamin 392 or 397, and i hear those are hard to pump

eric

i have a C9 and it gives me problems with my elbows and shoulders but i wouldn't get rid of it because of that though.she's a keeper  :)
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

arkmaker †

Keep the pumper, but eat a couple of advil before you go shooting. Then go buy yourself a few Co2 guns and maybe a couple of HPA or mod the Co2's into HPA.  ;D
Seriously I hope you feel better! I ache all the time, but it's been since I was a kid, so I've learned to push it in the back and go on. Co2 or HPA may be the way to go....your gonna get them anyway at some point, right?  Might as well be now!
RIch
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

millipede

i would just die to have a HPA gun! someday im gonna get around to converting my 760 to bulk co2

btw i think i have bursitis in both elbows...  uhg....  :-X   itll go away though. i put my gun in the cupboard so its out of sight for now and im not gonna shoot it til this goes away.  :(

Plasticman

If you are pumoing it right up try 5 or 6 pumps only until you build up a bit of endurance. If you have some arthritis a bit of exercise will help. I,m 67 and have no trouble with ny pumpers.

62Falcon

I'm 57 and I fired about 250 pellets in two days of sighting-in and target practice with my new 1377C. I pinched my thumb twice and palm once while pumping up 10 strokes for each shot; roughly 2500 strokes! My left arm was a little stiff and it ached a bit along with my palm where is hits the trigger guard. It only lasted for one day and I was fine. I feel for you brother, but at 27 you should recover quickly and effortlessly; lest there is something going on with your arm. That or they just don't make 'em like they used to.  :P Kids have it so rough these days! I hope you recover soon and get back to shooting and having fun.

~62
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

Bentong

I used to have that problem before I modded my 1377. Got her flat top and new pump arm and do arm stretches before shooting and I can shoot a lot. The light spring in the valve with enlarge inlet sure makes pumping a pleasure. 10 pumps modded is like 4-5 pump resistance un-modded shooting at 707fps with 7.9 cpl. My CO2 shooters are on break for the winter. When plinking I just pump her 6x for 600fps and those are light pumpings.

62Falcon

I've had my 1377 for two months now and my right elbow has a large lump on it from pumping so much. I'm probably going to get a 2240 to shoot while my elbow recovers. It sux getting old!

~Falcon

millipede

i put more padding in the pump arm and that helped a lot. i think the impact from snapping it shut was what the problem was. the padding lessens the shockwave to my elbow :)

62Falcon

Millipede, are you right handed? I notice some dull pain at the tip of my right elbow a couple of weeks ago. It would ache a little if I put pressure on it. I shot quite a bit last week and the pain got worse and I noticed some swelling. Now I have a nice fleshy lump on the tip of my elbow. Funny thing is, it does not hurt anymore; but it worries me and I am not shooting until the conditions improves. It was not readily apparent to me that pumping my air gun was the cause of the pain until a couple days ago. Now I'm considering a 2240 to shoot while my elbow recovers. Your condition sounds a bit different from mine.

~Falcon

T191032

Well, millipede, coming from a self-proclaimed "lazy" (sometimes I guess I'm just too honest) 41-yr old who's got a 1377 he's shot the CAPOF Monthly comps with, let me ask you this:  You used to working your arms much?  That's one thing about using pneumatics, it does give you a workout, especially if you get into the bigger Benjamin's and Sheridan's. 
If you are used to working your arms much, well, then yea it might be something else.  As for "falling apart" you have a ways to go unless you were a "pieces and parts" baby like me (as I sarcastically refer to myself).
Might have to consider finding some weights and trying some curls.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

millipede

well its not like i do push ups everyday, but ive been blowing glass in front of a torch for almost 8 years which requires using all the muscles in your arms constantly for hours at a time. try holding a liter of water in front of you at arms length for 6-8 hours and you'll know what i mean. i am not "weak" and even if i wasnt strong enough to consistly pump a pellet gun more than a few times; dont you think it would be my muscles that hurt instead of getting painfully aching joints for at least a day after shooting the gun just a couple times? 

like i said, the problem went away after i put padding in the pump arm.