What Crosman pellets to use? Are the Premieres worth it?

Started by 62Falcon, January 29, 2011, 04:38:50 AM

62Falcon

I've had my 1377C for about one month now. She is broken in and shooting very well. I mostly target shoot, but plan to do some plinking and occasional pest control. I have the Gamo 1000 assortment pack of pellets and some Beeman Coated Hollow Points which are troublesome to load. I shot up a 250 count tin of old Daisy pellets. I've shot about 100 of the Gamo wad cutters which I like very much. I'm looking for a general purpose pellet for everyday shooting. I see Crosman has regular pellets and their Premiere pellets. Are the Premieres worth the expense in my case? I leaning more towards the Crosman Destroyer pellets for my "all purpose" shooting. Anyone have any opinions on the Destroyers?

I've been looking at all the various pellet types on the web, but would like to stay with Crosman. What suggestions can you offer me in that regard. Do I go with the Destroyers? Premiere Match? Crosman standard Wad Cutters? Eventually I will settle on one favorite pellet as I gain experience.

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

1377x

imo yeah theyre worth it
many have recommended them for plinking or hunting
closed mouths dont get fed

arkmaker †

Seems like all of my guns shoot the Crosman Hollow Points very well, followed by the Crosman Wadcutters. I have used the Premiers in the tins and the standard wadcutters in the tins. Never sprung for the boxes of premiers from the Crosman website, but I sure have heard of a lot of people swearing by them. Someday, I'll give them a try.
   I have also had very, very good luck with the Daisy Wadcutters. Once you get over the fact that your fingers are gonna get black, they have shot straight and true, Hardly a flyer.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

packrat

Thankfully, my 2 Crosman 2250's are VERY accurate with the Crosman Premiers..I didn't notice any thing better about the boxed Premiers...weren't worth the extra $$$$ at least not in my 2 rifles..The Ultra-Mags in 14.3 shoot laser straight in the 2250B, the 10.5 Ultra-Mags shoot the same in the AS2250..
  In the end, the BEST pellet for each airgun is the one(s) that shoot most accurately..period, plain and simple.....I just wish my AA S410 would shoot the much less expensive Crosman pellets..but it only likes high-dollar stuff :( :(

AA S410,FAC,.22,Carbine- 1740,10", "hot" valve-BIG FUN !-.177 TalonSS in BLUE
"HEY !! This gettin' old thing is NOT for sissies !"  -Packrat, Georgia, USA.

quickster47 †

For all around general use and plinking, you just can't beat the Crosman pellet assortment.  And the best thing is they are usually available at Wally World if you got one close.  All my guns shoot well with them, maybe not the best but they do perform okay.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

buy 3 tins forth is free PA
               Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

arkmaker †

I got a heck of a deal on ebay for two boxes of .177 Avanti Diablo Match pellets. This they were 10 bucks shipped to my door. It's only 400 pellets total, so I guess that's still kinda expensive, but my finger just clicked away and wahhlaa, there they were. I still haven't had a chance to test them out properly.
Anyonoe else ever shoot them?  ???
Rich

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

62Falcon

I wound up getting a tin of Crosman Wad Cutters. The Big 5 Sporting Goods store did not have any of the Premiers. The Sears store had no airguns or pellets at all. The Wal-Mart near me does not stock any airguns or pellets. There are a couple more stores in my area I can check.

Anyone have any experience with the Crosman Destroyers? I've got my sights set on those if I can find them.

Thanks for all the replies.

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

arkmaker †

I have some in 177. PM me your address and I will send you some to try out if you want.
Rich

Nate

i love crosman premieres, i only buy them for my .22 guns, they give great groups when i am having a good day, i can get .75" groups at 15 yard standing

ray1377

I hate to sound cheap.
but I get excellent groups with Crosman Premiere Hollow Points that I get in the tins at
walmart.
I shoot dime size groups at 40 yds easy with them in my discovery.
And I've changed my 1377 to a 1322 and so far the .22 caliber CPHP's from walmart are doing just as good as the .177 calibers are.
Thanks
Ray
Ray Thomas

Master of the 1000 inch shot.

woody67

I like the crosman premier hollow points..they don't really expand or blow out, but the hollow part tends to absorb a bit before the rest of the impact, so you have 2 impacts, which results in less of a ricochet.

I had a Remington NPSS and the pellets wouldn't fit well in it. They were REALLY hard to push into the barrel.
And they don't shoot out of my Crosman .357 either. They just get stuck in the clip or barrel or both.

They shoot perfectly out of my 1377 though.
            Cheap enough at pyramyd air, and your 4th tin is always free. They are a horrible company in my opinion, and will never order from them again. They screwed me on a refund on a gun I never even took delivery of. I had to submit a complaint to the BBB....did that 2 days ago. Everything is pending. Airgundepot is better for service. They actually give a sh** about your order and personally look on things.

ChokingVictim

my favorite pellets to date are GAMO MAGNUM 15,43gr
they run the most consistent in all my guns even my benji trail.

but it seems gamo has changed them to 15,89gr
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Gamo_Magnum_22_Cal_15_89_Grains_Pointed_250ct/165

Here is the old tin.
"I'm gonna stay young until I die!" - 7 Seconds

1377x

i took a drill bit a size bigger than the hole in the pellet drill it out
fully expanded in home made ballistic gel.cant tell you what it does to the accuracy though
closed mouths dont get fed

gipper51

My 2250xt will shoot the .22 Crosman Ultra Magnums and the HPs very well.  They also both do good on my RWS 34.  I think the UM are a more consistent pellet, at least judging by the barrel fit in the RWS.  With the HPs, some are very loose and some fit quite snug, the UM are more consistent here.  I've tried several pellets in my 2250xt including Kodiaks, RWS Superdome, RWS Hobby and Crow Magnums.  Of those the Kodiaks shoot well also, but I can't see any difference in accuracy to justify 3x the price of Crosmans.  My thinking is go with the cheapest ammo that shoots good enough for your purposes.

Just got 3 tins of the Ultra Magnums so I guess that's my pellet of choice  :-*