Got my breech... Stripped the screw...

Started by Ddevil54r, February 11, 2011, 06:50:17 AM

Ddevil54r

Unbelievable! Simply unbelievable! I got my breech today from Crosman. It came with a new probe and handle and everything. I was really happy... Was. Then I tried to remove the stupid little screw from the breech and like the title to this thread says I promptly stripped it. Seriously Crosman... You guys sell the breeches so why in god's name would you out that stupid little screw in the stock breech?!? I'm bow in the process of tapping a tiny Philips head screw driver into the once hex hole and hoping that doesn't strip out on me. Talk about irritating. >:(
- Crosman 1377 stock... For now ;)

zenki213

yeah i hear ya, but in my situation it's the side plate trigger cover with 3 hex screws stripped on me, all 3 screws! I was planning to polish my trigger sears but i guess i won't be able to do that  :(

airguns100

Crosman has some serious problems erupting in Canada right now.

I just bought a (second 2289g) and the box shows a picture of a 2289g with a brass trigger and the original "metal" frame door, using two screws.
Plus it shows a picture of a tamper resistant plastic cross block for the trigger.

Upon opening the box the gun does NOT have the metal frame utilizing the two screws, plus it does NOT have the brass trigger, and NO cross block tamper resistant trigger guard. <-- that right there is a safety concern in Canada, even though it's just a crappy plastic trigger guard that anyone could break in milli second!
Crosman has falsely represented their product on the packaging. = false advertising. What their doing with the packaging is illegal.

Like others, i'm returning my 2289g for a full refund!  >:(

The OG gangster of the "bling"

arkmaker †

My 2240 came in that stupid clam package (I really hate clam packaging). There was no trigger guard installed at all, but there was a key for the trigger guard in with the paperwork......Go figure  ???
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Another option is if you have a Dremel and a cutoff tool is to cut a slot in the screw, and the plastic breech, and then use a slot screwdriver to get the bugger out.

And if you need a replacement plastic breech, let me know as I have a few spares.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

bdb12586

are you sure the scew stripped or is it the cheesy allenkey that came with the breech. i stripped the allen key, used a new one and got it out. it's in there pretty good and in most cases i think the wrench strips first.

eric

Quote from: quickster47 on February 11, 2011, 03:00:13 PM
Another option is if you have a Dremel and a cutoff tool is to cut a slot in the screw, and the plastic breech, and then use a slot screwdriver to get the bugger out.

And if you need a replacement plastic breech, let me know as I have a few spares.

Carl

if you're like me my cut off wheels shrink in size .i will save really small one .i had one small enough where i cut a slot in the oem breech screw in the steel breech with no harm done to the breech.
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Crosshairs

I used a small ez out to get mine out of the 1377 i just built.
                           Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Ddevil54r

First off, thanks guys for the help and offer of a plastic breech. I have a new steel breech i just got thats why i was taking it apart but thank you all the same. It was definitely the screw that stripped. I tried my own Allen wrench and it didn't help any. I did get it out though. Like I said I just tapped a small philips head screw driver down into it and then turned it out. Got the new breech and my new red dot all mounted up(temporarily without the breech screw until I find a replacement at work). I don't really like the bolt and probe they sent with it. I kind of like my stock brass ones better. I'm hoping I cam just unscrew the bolt handle from the probe and swap them around. While I'm at it I think I'm taking one or the other in to work today and drilling out the tip of the probe on one of them ;) thanks again everyone

Mike

quickster47 †

Mike, in case you don't know but need to know, the breech screw is a 4-48.  Hope you have some at work, and if you do, let us know as we are always looking for an alternate source.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mr007s

I have ordered 100 SS screws in flat and 100 in Phillips. They should arrive any time. I will post when they arrive . They will be available to forum members at a low cost.

Popadave

Let us know when you get them.  AC Custom parts also sells them for $1.00 each.  Ouch!  But that is better than having to order a 100 of them! :P

Ddevil54r

I found some Allen heads at work, lol where I'm posting this from currently :P but the heads might be a tad too tall. I'm taking a few home to try out. I was going to try and drill my probe but I guess the handle is permanently attached? I can't get it off anyway. It sure doesn't unscrew so I'm at a loss there. I'll let y'all know if these work. They're far stouter than the stock screw and I'd be hard pressed to strip one.

Papadave where in pa are you? I'm in Bellwood myself.

arkmaker †

Quote from: Ddevil54r on February 12, 2011, 02:20:39 AM
I was going to try and drill my probe but I guess the handle is permanently attached? I can't get it off anyway. It sure doesn't unscrew so I'm at a loss there.

You need to drill the bolt handle out. It is pressed in and then peened like a rivit. just need to drill enough to pop the head off, then it will slide out. at that point, you need to add thread with tap and die
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

airguns100

Quote from: arkmaker on February 11, 2011, 11:05:17 AM
My 2240 came in that stupid clam package (I really hate clam packaging). There was no trigger guard installed at all, but there was a key for the trigger guard in with the paperwork......Go figure  ???
Rich

;D

Rich.
You're not alone. It appears crosman is lowering their quality control (moving more production to china) to spread the hobby dollar so more people can get involved (can afford it). how ever, by lowering the quality and quality control of their products the opposite is happening. Who wants to by a cheaply made product? I sure don't.  :-X
Not trying to bash Crosman, but come on! What's next, a plastic trigger?  :(

I returned my (new version) 2289g to the gun store i bought it at, for a (older version) 2289g they still had sitting around on the shelves.  :-*

it even had a brass valve in it.  total score!!  8) 8) 8)

The OG gangster of the "bling"