Got my breech... Stripped the screw...

Started by Ddevil54r, February 11, 2011, 06:50:17 AM

eric

i think most of us here and on other airgun forums only make up a small percentage of the general public that are more aware of what we're buying.sure crosman maybe be slipping but how much of the general public knows that.not saying it's good business practice, as more folks get involved it could hurt them fer shur.they are trying to more people involved and without these forums and the amount of knowledge within these ,what would we know if one variant is better or worse than the next or which gun might be better suited for our needs.maybe a bit off tangent ---- look at the big box stores that sell airguns.someone buys a springer and a super sweet scope and mount/rings only to have their scope eaten because they or pos(point of sale/sale clerk) didnt know about the springers recoil and how it affects scopes .
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Ddevil54r

Quote from: arkmaker on February 12, 2011, 02:33:54 AM
You need to drill the bolt handle out. It is pressed in and then peened like a rivit. just need to drill enough to pop the head off, then it will slide out. at that point, you need to add thread with tap and die

Cool thanks. I kind of thought that's what I would need to do but was hoping to get some insight. But let me ask this. If I thread the hole then I'm going to need a bigger bolt handle. Or is it tapered enough after the part that's in the hole that I could possibly cut it off right there and thread the bigger part of the handle and just have a short bolt handle? If that makes sense lol. Sorry its 4am :P
- Crosman 1377 stock... For now ;)

arkmaker †

Yeah the bolt handle will be shorter for sure. And before you can run a die over it, you will need to get the diameter to the right size. I usally would do that on a lathe, but I just did it not to long ago by holding the bolt in my drill press and used a file to bring down the diameter. Nothing fancy, but it worked. Here is a pic of the one I just took apart and a newer bolt and handle from MellonAir (I think). I have not done the threads on the brass one yet, but you can see that it will end up much shorter. I would spring for a new one from Charlie if you can afford it, but the stock brass one will work and if you can add a pin to the front, you end up with an extended bolt probe for basically just your time and effort!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Crosshairs

I think everything is on the cheap these days sad but true.Things just a arent the same any more.My mark 1 a is all metal only the grips are plastic.But that was 1973 pride.
       Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

eric

on the 1320 i had, it had short bolt(probably a little shorter than the width of my thumb,shorter than the crosman bolts fer shur) which i really liked .more so than anything that i had.just thought i would through that out there  :) kinda sad i sold that breech now  :( :-[ :)
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

arkmaker †

Eric,
   With that big knob, it looks like it would work just fine. The problem I had using the stock handle is that the knob is so small and so close to the breech that it created a pressure point on my finger that was unacceptable to me. Others may feel different, but with a large knob like that, that would not even be an issue. Think I'll have to add a short bolt handle with a large knob to the ever growing list! Somewhere is that short stock knob I made and if I ever find it, I'll post a pic.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

I had a particular brass bolt knob that I really, really liked.  Unfortunately one day when I was doing some hammer spring testing, it broke.  Man I hated that I would do such a dumb thing, but I did.  So like any good Crosman aficionado, who never ever throws good stuff out, I put it aside.

Then I saw this thread about bolts and handles and knobs and decided to do the 'Phoenix' thing with it.  Where the bolt had snapped at the threads I trimmed off the broken edges and smoothed it out.  Next I took one of my extended probe bolts and drilled out the end to match the bolt handle, .187" was what mine measured.  I then put the bolt in my lathe and drilled a centered hole .089" (#43 bit) so I could tap the hole for a 4-40 grub screw.  I also drilled a .112" (#33 bit) recess hole in the end of the bolt handle to make sure everything stayed aligned when I tightened the grub screw and started using the new bolt and handle.

Now that I've done this successfully my next step is going to be a curved bolt handle.  It won't be curved that much, just enough that you can tell it's curved.  But I believe it will give my Crosman carbines a much cooler look.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Ddevil54r

Do all of you guys own lathes or what?!? Lol, lucky to say the least. I have two but they're both at work. Better than no access to any at all though I reckon.

Carl, that's a great idea I haven't even thought of drilling through the back and putting in a set screw. I have tons of them at work too :P

bdb12586

wish i had a lathe, even one at work would be better than nothin :(

mr007s

I like Carl's fix and will be copying it. As a note, not all breeches have a hole in the back and that will need to be taken care of to use this mod.

quickster47 †

Quote from: mr007s on February 13, 2011, 04:11:22 AM
As a note, not all breeches have a hole in the back and that will need to be taken care of to use this mod.

That is a good catch.  Even though I was using a plastic breech when I was working on this I did not think about that little sticky point.  ???

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Ddevil54r

Quote from: mr007s on February 13, 2011, 04:11:22 AMAs a note, not all breeches have a hole in the back and that will need to be taken care of to use this mod.

I'm not sure I follow? I mean I have the hole in the back of my new steel breech and not the stock plastic one but... Ooooohhhh.... I just got it :P to tighten the set screw!!! Lol nevermind haha

Ddevil54r

The bad news: the hex heads screws I have access to are indeed too tall. I'm still looking and hopefully I can find some flat heads or something. The good news is I just saved a ton switching insurance... Nah just kidding, I did however get my stock brass bolt drilled out and also flattened the tip and drilled a little hole in which I put a small extra Allen wrench I had laying around(actually it's probably the same size as the generic one that came with my breech. So there's another use for that thing instead of just a bolt head stripper :\ ) haven't had a chance to do much testing yet but I'm going to take some pics and whatnot when I get a chance ;)

Mr. 007 in the meantime if you get those screws any time soon please let me know as vie yet to find something small enough to work. Thanks all.

quickster47 †

Do you need me to send you a couple screws till you get a few and replace mine?  Let me know this morning as I could get it out in today's mail.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Ddevil54r

Well as it stands(sorry Carl I just got this btw) I'm shooting my pellet gun with no breech screw at all. I'm not real sure if I can replace any you send me unless mr. 007 get the hookup then I would gladly get a couple back to you. I just don't know his situ and if he would be able to sell me any or what he's got going on. Maybe he could be a dear and chime in here lol.