Noise Level Question...

Started by woody67, February 11, 2011, 08:39:47 PM

woody67

How loud is a fully modified 1377 in .22 cal with a 14" barrel?

quickster47 †

Hate to say it but that is a very subjective question cause one man's quiet is another man's loud and vice versa.  And loud is a very relative term.  Inside, something that is quiet in the great outdoors could be deafening.

Without any device on the end of the barrel the gun will not be neighbor friendly as it will have a definite crack when the pellet exits the barrel.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

ChokingVictim

My 1377 is converted to .22 , fully upgraded internals and a heavier hammer spring.
it is still quieter than any of my co2 22xx variants .
"I'm gonna stay young until I die!" - 7 Seconds

mr007s

2300KT CO2 .22 cal. with 14 inch barrel,stock valve and stock brake= quiet to me
2240 CO2  .22 cal. with 7 inch barrel in and no brake = loud to me
2 different 1377 fully modified= very quite to me
x-WIFE,needs valve job=wear ear plugs

woody67

Hmm...
So should I get a full barrel shroud to quiet it down?
Or a muzzle brake?

I'm not exactly sure how they are installed, or how they work exactly..but do they reduce power or fps?

quickster47 †

No power or FPS loss.  Good choice would be one from TKO.  Talk to Mike and he will help set you up on the right path to quiet.

http://www.tko22.com/

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Crosshairs

May i ask why you need to know that ? just want to know if you are a back yard shooter.if so Its loud, i would say med to loud.
                           Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

steveo1989

My modded 1377 is louder than silent, but not as loud as a ruger 10/22.  Mine has a 14 inch barrel with power mods and a factory Crosman muzzlebrake.  In the basement, it makes quite a little noise, which gets a bit louder with every pump.  Out back, not so bad...My neighbors don't care, but I live in a small country town in Ohio.

Another noise thing that I don't really like is the slap of the pump when closing the handle pumping it up - so I stuck some felt to the bottom of the pump tube and the inside of the pump handle, and it is a LOT more quiet.
Avid rimfire and extreme long range shooter.  Newly re-introduced to airguns, and find it quite interesting to get trigger time in my basement every day.

woody67

The reason I asked the question is because I saw a video of someone shooting a bottle full of water with a modified 1377, 14" barrel...exactly how mine will be when finished next week... and the shot was SUPER LOUD!
Louder than I would want it to be if I was shooting at paper targets and there was not a single person around for miles even...
So, whether I am just shooting targets or shooting at something creeping around my yard, I'd like it to be as quiet as it can be, as accurate as it can be, and as Powerful as it can be.

I'm considering a muzzle brake or a shroud. Which do you all prefer? And why...

Nate

thats another thing. all video camera are diferent when it comes to how loud a noise actualy is, my video camera makes my guns sound relitevly loud, but my buddys camera makes them sound quite quiet. it is realy hard to tell by a video how loud a gun will be, but usualy they are louder than the video makes it look, but not always, if it souds realy loud in the video it is probably not much louder than real life

quickster47 †

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, talk to Mike and he will help set you up on the right path to quiet.

http://www.tko22.com/

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

1377x

my 1377 with 14" .22 barrel is (loud)around 80-90 db im guessing
it can be heard from around a city block away
closed mouths dont get fed

packrat

The sooner you follow Carl's advice, and contact  http://www.tko22.com/    the sooner your decibel level problems will go away..I 've put one on the last 3-4 rifles I had , and I'm telling you they are FIRST CLASS..and at like $44.00 a real bargain  seriously.
   Or dol ike I did, and order an MB from C.Mellon and build your own...if ya like tinkering, that is.

AA S410,FAC,.22,Carbine- 1740,10", "hot" valve-BIG FUN !-.177 TalonSS in BLUE
"HEY !! This gettin' old thing is NOT for sissies !"  -Packrat, Georgia, USA.

woody67

Ok...so a shroud is what I'm going to go with.

TKO looks great, but I don't like the black portion on the end of their shrouds. AC has all aluminum shrouds with no black at all. Would you recommend one of his equally to TKO's?

-Gary

I borrowed the decibel meter that we have at work to get you some numbers. The meter's sensor was set even with the muzzle and 2 feet to the right. Background noise was negligible as I was in my basement.

Here is what I recorded:
1377 had a 75 dB reading (stock .177 pistol with 8 pumps)

2240 had a 79 dB reading (new co2 cartridge, 14" barrel with homemade muzzle brake)

Both were quieter than I would have guessed.

1377/1322 SideLever
2240 SideLever with M-rod Rotary Magazine