barrel length and caliber vs. shot loudness

Started by DBOdude, February 13, 2011, 07:21:27 AM

DBOdude

all else being equal ...........

im about to order a .22 crosman 2400kt from their custom shop , nothing fancy though .
just wanted to double check a few things before i order next month .

is a longer barrel typically quieter than a shorter barrel ? i see lots of comments around the web about how loud the 2240 is with its short barrel , but i see comments here about how quiet the 2300's are with the 18 and 24 inch barrels .

between .177 and .22 is either one given the same gun and barrel length noticeably louder than the other ?
im liking the .22 with the 24 inch barrel , but if a .177 /24 incher would be noticeably quieter (or different barrel length) id appreciate the heads up for consideration .

thanks , jeff
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

mr007s

In my limited experience, barrel length does affect the report. My 2300 is stock from the custom shop with a 14" barrel and Crosman sighted brake. To my old ears it is has a very low noise level. The 2240 has a enlarged capacity valve and a 7 inch barrel. When firing it, my wife can hear the report upstairs . I am sure that the bulk of the noise is unused  propellant escaping from the muzzle. If the excessive noise will be an issue I suggest the longer barrel and either the Crosman brake or one from Mellon, AC, or TKO.

Crosshairs

One of my 1377 has a 24" barrel and is not as loud as a stock barrel 1377.Also my 2250XE has a 18" barrel and is not as loud as my stock 2240.

Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

DBOdude

if i find the 18 or 24 inch barrel is still a bit to loud for my liking according to what i read on this forum the TKO muzzle will solve that problem . my next questions are ......

if i put a leapers 3-9x40AO scope on a 2400k with a 18 or 24 inch barrel will the TKO muzzle brake be seen through the scope ?

according to a few post i read here the power adjustment part of the 2300s can be added to a 2400k for $14 . im thinking that would be money well spent since it could allow me more slightly lower velocity shots for plinking/paper shooting and also lower the SPL too . i could also have a full power option if i wanted to do some 10-15 yard rabbit or squirrel hunting . i get the impression these un-modded guns arn't suitable for the average shooter wanting to hunt at 20 yards (or more) out of respect for a humane kill for the critter (in .22) .

do these customs have issues with crushed breech seals like the qb78's seem to have ?
do breech seals need to be replaced periodically ? if they do is there some sort of tubing or o-ring availabe at lowes or home depot that can be used effectively .

thanks

quickster47 †

You should not be able to see the muzzle brake through your scope at all.  No problem, nada...

The transfer port seal actually holds up pretty good as long as you do not damage them.  Couple of my guns have seals that are over a year old and no problems whatsoever.  However, like anything else, if you abuse them they will fail.

Power adjusters are good but make sure you use a good spring.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

DBOdude

thanks carl :)

i called crosman today and spoke with chuck . he said the 2300 series will do about 400fps in .22 with premiers with the stock 10 inch barrel . he could not give me a fps using the 18 or 24 9inch barrels , but hes going to try to find out and call be back . i read on this forum somewhere that co2 will give about 10fps more for each additional inch of barrel . if thats correct an additional 14 inches should give about 140fps more , so about 540 . im aware that fps will vary with temperatures , im also aware that if the barrel is longer than the expansion of the co2 can push that barrel drag can slow it down . is that something id have to worry about ?

quickster47 †

Quote from: Booty Monster on February 14, 2011, 10:53:07 PM
Is that something I'd have to worry about ?

I don't think you have to worry at all.

So far in all I've tried with longer barrels up to 24" I've never felt the barrel length was slowing down my pellets.  And I'm really not sure how long a barrel one would have to have before that phenomenon actually happened.

So go for it and get the barrel you want.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

ray1377

Longer barrels will "usually" be quieter than the shorter ones.
And "usually" .177 caliber is a little louder than .22 when speaking of shorter barrels.
.177's usually have a distinct pop. and the .22 has a more pow or open sound.
I changed from a 10 inch factory 1377 barrel and went with a 24 inch instead.
I actually thought the valve was messed up when I first shot it because it was so much quieter than the shorter barrel.
I ran it over the chrony and it was almost 100 fps faster, but it cut down on the noise alot.
Thanks
Ray
Ray Thomas

Master of the 1000 inch shot.