Winter blues what to do !!!

Started by Crosshairs, February 15, 2011, 01:51:14 PM

Nate

in the summer and in the winter i use my repeater pistols do do IPSC style shooting, i realy enjiy that, you get a little faster every time  ;) you ca use a BB or pellet pistol for this, if you want it as realistic as possible you could use a blowback bb pistol because of the way the magazines go in, i use a GSG 92 and a Sig sauer X five b pistol, both blowback and semi automatic

Crosshairs

I have done some plate shooting with small steel plates in shape of rats,birds and other pest.in the back yard,and i also get faster with lots of practice.i use to shoot the real pistols IPSC style. also shot the bowling pin matches,lots of fun Nate.
                                   Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

ohplnkr

I've been practicing different grips and sighting. Using both eyes, wrapping left hand in front of pistol hand instead of under, holding in middle of shoulders instead of sighting along right arm, etc. It's been a petty cool winter for the ol' learning curve. :-*

62Falcon

The old lady is gonna be out for a couple of hours tonight. I plan to test out the 4th generation target trap I made the other day, the indoor version of course. It is cold and rainy out today and tonight.

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

Crosshairs

Cool make a Vid !! We wanna see shooting  :-*
                      Mike

62Falcon

Here is a pic of the new outdoor target trap setup. I used 4 gallon pulp pots and some old clothes for the circular target traps, the block in the middle is my 2nd generation target trap. I will take a pic of my 4th generation trap tonight when I set it up for a shooting session. The range is about 33 feet indoors and out.

~Falcon

Crosshairs

62Falcon

Thanks Mike. I have to keep it sectional and portable so I can take it down and move it easily between sessions. I'm still looking at the duct seal design, but old tee shirts are much cheaper! LOL! Of course I'm only shooting .177's at 10 pumps. I don't have the space for a permanent range. I can assemble it in a couple minutes though and it works for now.

~Falcon

PS - Paper plates keep the old tee shirts in place. They are behind the targets. Pots cost $2.63 each and are compressed paper. Targets were printed in economy mode on PC. Backstop is a discarded carpet sample display board. Targets are fastened with standard push pins. Cheep cheep cheep! Very safe so far.

crazyhorse

I've been shooting pedals off of yellow Dandeloin flowers..takes awhile...but sure sharpens up the aim..

Crosshairs

Quote from: quickster47 on February 15, 2011, 04:43:46 PM
Might be boring but I just do target shooting.  Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.  Probably go through about 700 pellets a week when I shoot every night.  Thank goodness that the Crosman Premier Domed and Hollow Points shoot okay in my guns and that Wally World always has them in their local store.

Carl

700 pellets a week you must be some shot ! ;D
                       Mike

Darth

I seem to find myself working on something gun related ... either changing a configuration or making something (theoretically) better or just repairing something. Just trying different stuff.

Dis-assembled and cleaned up a RWS 6G. Thats a neat pistol

Dis-assembled and cleaned up a Beeman Tempest ... shot it a lot in the garage.

Right now I'm working on a pre 1953 Benjamin Sheridan of a buddy's. I had to mold a leather cup, first time I've ever done that. It's not back together yet.

Can't wait until spring so I can check out my 2 new pistols a longer ranges.

Darth
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php

Crosshairs

Im with you Darth,love to take that long shot in the great outdoors.And even better when you hit what your aiming at.  :-*
                         Mike

Mebits

Not to creep anyone out but winter-time in the US is when we should be thinning out the starlings and English house sparrows. Both are invasives which have devastated indigenous bird populations. When my father was young, FLOCKS of blue birds were common in our area. I'm a (new) birder and outdoorsman and I haven't seen any around here, EVER. I do see a lot of house sparrows, though.

I look forward to winter when I can set up a bait station and back stop and snipe at the starlings from inside. Lots of action on cold snowy days.

Darth

Quote from: Mebits on March 01, 2011, 04:49:46 PM
When my father was young, FLOCKS of blue birds were common in our area.

Now that you mention it ... I don't recall seeing any Blue Birds around here anymore either. I'm in NE Ohio.
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php

Mebits

Yup. Almost entirely due to house sparrows.

This site is great for identification (you don't want to shoot the wrong thing), and for background on the problem and what you can do.

http://www.sialis.org/otherbrownbirds.htm

The starlings are harder on other larger cavity-nesters, though they'll kill a bluebird for their nest if the hole is large enough.