How loud is the 2240 with 14.6" barrel and muzzle brake from Custom Shop?

Started by SmilinKev, February 23, 2011, 01:44:14 AM

SmilinKev

I tried a search for this, but didn't find much information.  Since I'm a "newbie" to this forum, please accept my apologies if I've asked something that's already been answered - and just didn't use the right search keywords to find the answer.

I'm thinking of getting a 2240 with (among other options) the 14.6" Crosman steel barrel and Crosman muzzle brake . . . as soon as I figure out how to get a Custom Shop order fulfilled for an Illinois resident.  Crosman customer service (and their legal department) are working with me on that right now.  If all else fails, I've got a friend who lives across the river in Missouri who will be glad to accept delivery on it . . . as long as he gets to shoot it, too!  ;)

I've currently got several air rifles (all springers) and one single-stroke pneumatic air pistol (an IZH-46M), but it has been decades since I had anything powered by CO2.  Can y'all give me an idea about how loud the long-barreled and muzzle-breaked 2240 will be?  I have tolerant (and gun-owning) neighbors 70 yards away on either side of me, but I don't want to impose on them - and I also want to be able to use the pistol comfortable on my indoor 10-meter range when it's just too cold or too hot to shoot outdoors.

Thanks for your help!

Keep shootin' and keep smilin',
Kev
"Every guy has a plan . . . until he gets hit." Mike Tyson, Pugilist and Philosopher

quickster47 †

It is loud and probably not considered neighbor friendly if you live in town or even the suburbs.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

turbonoma

Don't bother with the Crosman brake and get a TKO one from Mike. I have one and it's "mouse fart quite". :-X

T191032

Well, let's consider it this way :

A cruise over to Pyramyd's site shows that the regular 2240 w/ 7.5" barrel rates "4-Medium-High" while the 2250XT and 2250XE Outdoorsman which have the same length barrel shows "3-Medium".  Now, the 24" barreled 2260 shows "2-Low-Medium".

I can't give you a true statement of sound.  I have diminished hearing in one ear, so testimony to sound is, well, complicated.  Yes, it is fairly noisy, perhaps a bit more so than my new 1740 with the 10.1" barrel, but this is a .177 caliber model.  I haven't shot the 18" carbine yet.  For sure, in the basement, slip on a pair of ear muffs, or use ear plugs, and you'll be saving your ears from noise, even outside.  For outdoors, if they are 70 yards away, and used to you shooting a .22 LR std vel or hi-vel, they probably won't really notice a .22 caliber 2240 w/ 14.6" barrel.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

SmilinKev

I really appreciate your input, guys.  I've sent an e-mail to Mike at TKO and I'm awaiting his suggestions about my best option for noise reduction.  His work looks outstanding!

I also appreciate the reminder about ear plugs.  I use them regularly to preserve the hearing I have left!  I was concerned about the indoor noise level of the 2240 from the standpoint of having the gun's sound leak out of our detached garage.  That's not a concern with the low and medium power springers that I normally shoot, but I figured the 2240 would be quite a bit louder.

I also wear safety/shooting glasses, since (a) I'm recovering from a detached retina that will leave me with severely limited vision in my left eye and (b) just like Ralphie, it's absolutely certain that I'll "shoot my eye out" if I don't wear 'em.

Thanks again!  Keep shootin' and keep smilin',
Kev
"Every guy has a plan . . . until he gets hit." Mike Tyson, Pugilist and Philosopher