barrel cleaning

Started by 1377x, March 10, 2011, 05:57:56 PM

1377x

i use weed eater wire its plastic ,doesn't seem to damage the bore
i will know if somethings amiss when i get to shoot my freshly cleaned barrel
hopefully today ill get some time to get her back together 
closed mouths dont get fed

zoned

Be careful using weed eater line. It has an abrasive impregnated in it. That's why it cuts weeds so well.

arkmaker †

Quote from: zoned on March 11, 2011, 09:19:40 PM
Be careful using weed eater line. It has an abrasive impregnated in it. That's why it cuts weeds so well.

Nah, Really? That's what I use. Just hold a flame to the end for a second and make a ball, then you can pierce a patch or to on it and pull it through. I never felt any roughness on the plastic, but sure will take another looksie under the scope!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

eric

kinda like tri-flow ,it has teflon (a solid) in it but it feels smooth. edit to say they are less than $10.00 and come in 2 different lengths.2 and 3 feet of pull
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

SmilinKev

For quite a while now, I've been using a crown saver and a patch saturated with Goo Gone (followed by untreated patches until they come out clean and dry) for cleaning all my air guns.  I give each new gun a thorough cleaning, then leave it alone until I notice an accuracy problem.  After these follow-up cleaning, all I notice is a return to previous accuracy levels.  However, it's important for me to disclose that I am NOT highly skilled with either a rifle or pistol.  I'm just a decent military-trained marksman and a dedicated plinker and hunter.  My hat's off to those of you who are more highly skilled, trained, and able to notice very subtle shifts in accuracy levels due to cleaning . . .

Keep shootin' and keep smilin',
Kev
"Every guy has a plan . . . until he gets hit." Mike Tyson, Pugilist and Philosopher

zoned

Quote from: arkmaker on March 12, 2011, 02:55:59 AM
Nah, Really? That's what I use. Just hold a flame to the end for a second and make a ball, then you can pierce a patch or to on it and pull it through. I never felt any roughness on the plastic, but sure will take another looksie under the scope!
Rich
Yeah, apparently they put it in the line to make it more durable and make it cut easier. I was in disbelief when I first heard it too. It can damage the crown if you aren't careful.

1377x

Quote from: zoned on March 11, 2011, 09:19:40 PM
that's good to know

zuke

Or you can use the plastic used to string tennis racket's.
Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!

arkmaker †

Quote from: eric on March 12, 2011, 03:20:06 AM
kinda like tri-flow ,it has teflon (a solid) in it but it feels smooth. edit to say they are less than $10.00 and come in 2 different lengths.2 and 3 feet of pull

If it is teflon, it will not hurt a steel barrel ,unless you run it in and out a few thousand times at high speed and even then....well I'd have to see it to believe it ;D
seriously, I really don't see the harm that plastic can do to a steel barrel for the dozen or so run throughs that I do every now and again. They sell kits that contain brass and aluminum rods for cleaning and I would bet that those would present a bigger potential for damage than the weedwhacker string. Heck, for that matter, some of the cleaning solutions are worse for steel corrosion. Nope, not gonna worry about plastic line.
Rich

EDIT::: Just did a search on trimmer string and found that there are all kinds of stuff I did not know about. Seems these lawn guys take this stuff seriously. Some of it is braided and some has titanium added. All of that stuff costs quite a bit more than the average stuff you find at Ace. I'm talking about the elcheap stuff. All natual nylon...no fillers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

eric

Quote from: arkmaker on March 12, 2011, 02:00:33 PM
If it is teflon, it will not hurt a steel barrel ,unless you run it in and out a few thousand times at hiigh speed and even then....well I'd have to see it to believe it ;D
seriously, I really don't see the harm that plastic can do to a steel barrel for the dozen or so run throughs that I do every now and again. They sell kits that contain brass and aluminum rods for cleaning and I would bet that those would present a bigger potential for damage than the weedwhacker string. Heck, for that matter, some of the cleaning solutions are worse for steel corrosion. Nope, not gonna worry about plastic line.
Rich
no it's not teflon in weed wacker line,could be i suppose.teflon is a solid they use in tri-flow.tri-flow feels smooth and slickerly as does weed wacker line .kinda like diamond dust in water.i think the thinking with the ww line is it could be considered something like a abrasive and if not pulled completely straight out you can/will damage the crown.rods are straight so pulling them out without touching the crown is much easier and you're not as likely to damage the crown.  yeah,myths abound .folks have been using metal cleaning rods for how long and have no ill effects. i use both a crown saver and a brass rod.pick your poison  ;) :)

1377x

thanks for the info
since i don't clean my barrels that often,the weed eater line will work me.it hasn't given me any problems yet(the whole 2x i used it :P ;D ;D ;D)

arkmaker †

Heck, next time I am at Academy, I'll pick up a Crown Saver. I think they were under 10 bucks and that is a cheap price for peice of mind  :-*
Better safe than sorry in this case.
Rich

1377x

Quote from: arkmaker on March 12, 2011, 04:27:45 PM
Heck, next time I am at Academy, I'll pick up a Crown Saver. I think they were under 10 bucks and that is a cheap price for peice of mind  :-*
Better safe than sorry in this case.
Rich
for 10.00 i can get a whole new barrel. i guess thats why im being cheap

zuke

Quote from: 1377x on March 12, 2011, 06:25:25 PM

I like your thinking!  :)
Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!

eric

Quote from: 1377x on March 12, 2011, 06:25:25 PM
pray it shoots well  or it might be more than a crown saver  ;) :)