barrel cleaning

Started by 1377x, March 10, 2011, 05:57:56 PM

zoned

Quote from: eric on March 12, 2011, 07:32:20 PM
pray it shoots well  or it might be more than a crown saver  ;) :)
Yep, it's a crapshoot with barrels. Some shoot great groups, others like a shotgun. LOL

I do agree though, that as little as most people would clean their airgun barrels, that weed whacker line would probably be ok to use. It's just good to have all the info first.

1377x

Quote from: eric on March 12, 2011, 07:32:20 PM
pray it shoots well  or it might be more than a crown saver  ;) :)
since i get my barrels locally,i get to give them a good look over + the airgun smith knows what hes looking at,i havent had a barrel problem yet
fingers crossed
closed mouths dont get fed

eric

Quote from: 1377x on March 12, 2011, 10:06:52 PM
since i get my barrels locally,i get to give them a good look over + the airgun smith knows what hes looking at,i havent had a barrel problem yet
fingers crossed
nice
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

62Falcon

OK. It is time to clean my 1377C. I've never done it before and I don't want to take the barrel off if posssible. How do I do it on the cheap? I don't have a lot of cash. I got it new for Xmas and have put about 600 pellets through it. Thanks guys.

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

quickster47 †

Unless your accuracy is really suffering, why bother to clean it.  Just leave well enough alone.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

I used to use a 1/8" wood dowel. Hmmm... why aren't I still using it?
Got them from the hobby store. Inexpensive. No. you do not have to remove the barrel. Just make sure you don't bind up the clothe or it gets a bit much for the wood. If it happens, back it off a little  and try again. Or cut the heads off of Q-tips. Pretty cheap to clean. A small bottle of Hopps will last forever.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

62Falcon

Quote from: quickster47 on March 16, 2011, 02:15:18 AM
Unless your accuracy is really suffering, why bother to clean it.  Just leave well enough alone.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Carl

The gun shoots great. So, I should not clean it unless I notice a problem? OK. That woiks for me! I was just trying to stay ahead of any problems. I'll reevaluate when I get about 1000 pells through her. Thank you sir! Umm...do they make .177 cleaner pellets?

~Falcon

Crosshairs

Quote from: zoned on March 12, 2011, 09:33:20 PM
Yep, it's a crapshoot with barrels. Some shoot great groups, others like a shotgun. LOL

I do agree though, that as little as most people would clean their airgun barrels, that weed whacker line would probably be ok to use. It's just good to have all the info first.
For sure i agree a crapshoot, i had a 1377 with a 14" barrel that did not shoot as good as i wanted,well i cut 3/4" off recrowned and bam it shot much better.is this luck of just science of airguns lol  ???
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

chiefs50

Quote from: zoned on March 11, 2011, 09:19:40 PM
Be careful using weed eater line. It has an abrasive impregnated in it. That's why it cuts weeds so well.

I use weed eater line to clean my airgun and Contender match .22 rimfire barrels.  I use the plain old cheap stuff.  I have done a little research and I can find no mention of any abrasive being impregnated in it or any of the higher priced versions.  It would certainly seem that manufacturers would mention this in their advertising if it indeed contained an abrasive.  What is the source of your information?  In any event, I usually clean these barrels only when new and then again whenever accuracy falls off so I doubt the line would harm the barrel even if it did contain abrasive. 

Mike

62Falcon

So, if I understand this whole barrel cleaning scenario, don't clean it until the accuracy is off? Once cleaned it must be releaded with your favorite pellet? That makes sense to me, but I'm new to this.

~Falcon

eric

cleaning your barrel might be a wise thing to do with a new gun.sometimes there is a lot of oils and such  that will affect accuracy .my custom  shop .22 shot crosman hps like a shot gun pattern(at 8 yards :(  ) before cleaning the barrel and after the accucary was better but nothing to boost about.doesn't help that they are crappy pellets in my guns .my CR160 hates them even with a clean barrel :(  . RWS hobbys aren't so bad though :)
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

mr007s

I have read where some folks swab their barrel with JB Bore Paste. I haven't done it but wonder if anyone here has and the results.

quickster47 †

I've also heard good things about JB Bore Paste and tried to order some from PA but it was never delivered, supposedly on backorder so I gave up.  Wanted to try it but haven't yet.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Gunhippie

I, too, use the weed-whacker line, el cheepo stuff from Ace. After reading this post, I conducted some experiments with it to see if it's abrasive. I was unable to produce a scratch on polished aluminum--which is much softer than the mild steel of an airgun barrel. I was able to produce some hazing on a piece of Plexiglas--so be careful if you have a plastic barrel! I'm very well convinced there's not a chance in heck of damaging my barrel with this stuff.

But, most importantly, I never touch the muzzle of the gun. The main reason for using a flexible cleaning rod is so I can push a patch through the bore from the breech end. As soon as the patch clears the muzzle, I pull the plastic back out--no chance of crown damage unless I use an abrasive patch--which I tend to avoid.

I clean my .177 pellet guns every 1,000 rounds or so, or after a day in dusty environs. My .22 powder burners get a swabbing after every 500 rounds, depending on the ammo I'm using (Fiocci sure shoots dirty--and stinks), and a detail about once a season. I use Hoppe's #9 on the powder burners, and Pellgun oil on the airguns. I run swabs through after the wet swab until they're perfectly clean to the eye.