Scoping a 1377: What's it's useful range?

Started by tookiebrookie, May 11, 2011, 01:24:49 AM

pirouge

arkmaker, I never assume a scope or any sights are factory "set", I start at 10'  to get on paper then move back to what ever distance I need to be, most scopes focus start at around 10yds, the Leapers bug buster being the exception, it starts at 3yds.   personally, after much trial & error, red dots, 3x9 scopes etc. believe it or not, I found the crosman targetfinder (@$9.95) to be all I need at a measured 35', my bird feeder range. I shoot a modified. 1389T carbine in .177 and can hit a dime at 10meters from a rest. I don't need any more than that. Starlings beware!! the 1377c is a true "feather duster", let us know where your zero'd at.

millipede

Quote from: tookiebrookie on May 12, 2011, 05:19:24 AM

So many variables!  I want to go up to the camp cottage and nail some of those chippies and red tree rats without having to resight for every distance.  I guess one lesson I've learned is to sight in at 10 pumps if 10 pumps is what I will be shooting with.  I'll learn with practice about how much lower it will shoot with those lazy 5-pump plinking shots.

i just got a new 3-9x42 scope with a sniper reticule and im going through the same process of learning that you are. i use the max number of pumps to sight it in also and it really kinda sucks cuz i have to pump it like 20 times each shot. so far i feel like im an absolute worst marksman on the planet. the shots are all over the target. but when i change the scope back to the cheap 8 dollar crosman scope it can get it zeroed in within ten shots. wtf? i should probably read the manual!!

catapult

zero the scope at the range and pwoer that you will be using it at

demarisl

I'm surprised no one has pointed you to download ChairGunPro from Hawke Optical.  When the graph is displayed there is a tool to optimize zero range for best point blank range.  You can spend hours changing the variables and seeing the resultant changes graphically.  Seeing is believing.

Larry

catapult

that looks like it would be useful, but not within say 50 yards and the relatively flat trajectory of .177