Steel breech??

Started by Nightshade, November 06, 2011, 08:34:55 PM

Nightshade

I'm new to the Crosman pistol line so I'll ask the newbie question here.......

What advantages does the steel breech have for the 1377 pistol over the factory breech?  ??? ???

Is it worth the extra $30 for the casual plinker like me?  ??? ???

TIA.  8)

Bentong

Make your shooter's barrel more secured and shoot straighter and can put a scope or other sights. With OEM plastic breech, you can wiggle the barrel in all direction. :-*

JEBert

QuoteIs it worth the extra $30 for the casual plinker like me?
Nightshade,
Only you can decide that.  Most of us have gone that route because of the reason's Bentong stated.  Your Crosman pistol is pretty accurate for what it is but even though the rear sight is adjustable, it is not very fine-tuneable.
The reason for this forum is to help each other get the most out of their gun.  Anything from Mild to Wild!
Before you spend more than a few bucks at the hardware store, I would suggest doing two things.  2.  A little trigger work to get rid of excessive play, smooth, and lighten things in this area.  You should be able to get down to about a 2 lb trigger pull without any gritty feel and eliminate the play and over-travel.  2.  If you don't get acceptable groups, try polishing the muzzle crown or re-crowning the muzzle.
As for spend more money on it ask yourself this"
What sort of plinker are you?
Do you want your gun to be more accurate?
Do you want to mount a scope?  A red dot sight?  A $60 micro adjustable rear sight?
The main question for you to answer is: Do I want to and can I afford to spend $30 + shipping + another $20 to $50 or more for a scope or red dot sight on this hobby?
It has been worth it for me.  I enjoy my guns when I can but don't ask me how much I spent on the first gun I modified because I don't know and I am not going to add it up cause I don't want to know.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

1377x

Quote from: Bentong on November 06, 2011, 09:13:11 PM
Make your shooter's barrel more secured and shoot straighter and can put a scope or other sights. With OEM plastic breech, you can wiggle the barrel in all direction. :-*
x2
closed mouths dont get fed

breakfastchef

Refurbished 1377 plus a Crosman steel breech ($30 + S&H) and an inexpensive red dot sight ($20 + S&H) will put you back around $100. You will have a fine and accurate-shooting .177 pistol and the pride of putting the whole thing together yourself. It is a priceless journey!
Larry

Nightshade

Quote from: Bentong on November 06, 2011, 09:13:11 PM

Holy cow! The factory breech lets the barrel move around THAT much!  :o

Nightshade

Quote from: JEBert on November 06, 2011, 11:03:38 PM
Nightshade,
Only you can decide that.  Most of us have gone that route because of the reason's Bentong stated.  Your Crosman pistol is pretty accurate for what it is but even though the rear sight is adjustable, it is not very fine-tuneable.
The reason for this forum is to help each other get the most out of their gun.  Anything from Mild to Wild!
Before you spend more than a few bucks at the hardware store, I would suggest doing two things.  2.  A little trigger work to get rid of excessive play, smooth, and lighten things in this area.  You should be able to get down to about a 2 lb trigger pull without any gritty feel and eliminate the play and over-travel.  2.  If you don't get acceptable groups, try polishing the muzzle crown or re-crowning the muzzle.
As for spend more money on it ask yourself this"
What sort of plinker are you?
Do you want your gun to be more accurate?
Do you want to mount a scope?  A red dot sight?  A $60 micro adjustable rear sight?
The main question for you to answer is: Do I want to and can I afford to spend $30 + shipping + another $20 to $50 or more for a scope or red dot sight on this hobby?
It has been worth it for me.  I enjoy my guns when I can but don't ask me how much I spent on the first gun I modified because I don't know and I am not going to add it up cause I don't want to know.
Cheers,
Jerry

I suppose that the main reason I bought the 1377 was the opportunity to make the gun "mine" at a reasonable cost for a retiree. Then there is the fact that ,to a point, "I" control the power by using no more air pumps that I need to.

As it stands now, I plan to build my own indoor range in my 30 x 36 garage to stay legal which means I'll need the gun to be a bit better than average accurate to keep the pellets "between the lines" of the range not punching holes in the back garage wall !!

In time, I'll change the grips to wood ,a possible longer barrel with a muzzle brake.  Don't know that I can use a scope since my eye implants make the close focus for a scope a real challenge for me.

All in all for me this is about the fun and nothing more.

Please....keep your thoughts coming.

TIA  :-*

millipede

it is definitely worth every cent

quickster47 †

As mentioned, it is really all about making the gun YOUR gun.  It doesn't matter if you spend $1 or $100 just have fun doing it.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Serpents Den

Quote from: quickster47 on November 09, 2011, 05:00:49 AM
As mentioned, it is really all about making the gun YOUR gun.  It doesn't matter if you spend $1 or $100 just have fun doing it.

Carl

*Agreed*  :-*

Smaug

Quote from: Nightshade on November 06, 2011, 08:34:55 PM
Is it worth the extra $30 for the casual plinker like me?

I think so. The stock set-up is poor because it can't be zeroed. I forget which directly, but I could not adjust mine to shoot to point of aim.

That means you can either get the barrel-clamp style scope mount, or the more solid steel breech as a mounting point for (proper) sighting devices.

I haven't done any other mods to mine yet, aside from the shoulder stock and a 4x scope on the steel breech.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

dpricenator

In case you are still looking at this thread or come back to it.  You can not use the stock rear site on the crosman steel breech.  You need to buy a scope, red dot, or aftermarket open sights.  So factor that into cost.

option 2  crooked barn has an aluminum rplica of the crosman steel breech that does allow for the use of your stock rear sights and can be ordered left or right handed.  $42 shiped but you need to buy a bolt and handle....$21 from croed, better handle from mellon air and cost less still free shipping.

joe k

so what breech would you guys recomend i have been thinking about changing
my breech .
thanks
joe

dpricenator

you from GTA? 

You know what I have and that being said, read my post above.  If you want to upgrade to a scope at the same time then buy the long Crosman Steel breech ($30 not sure on shipping).  You have to get the scope or new aftermarket sights, as you can not use the stock rear sights with the crosman steel breech.  it does come with a standard bolt, WITHOUT an elongated probe. the long probe pushes the pellet past the air port and make sure all the air is pushing the pellet not around it.

There are several aftermarket breechs available. 

Most do not come with a bolt, but they will be available form who ever you get you breech from. 

The Crooked Barn Breech ($42 shipped) is a replica of the crosman steel breech, but can be ordered left or right handed, and allows for the stock rear sights to be utilized.  You will want to or need to buy a bolt and bolt handle.  Crooked Barn's handle in funtional but less than pretty, and is $21.  For my money Mellon air has a flow though bolt for $18 shipped and an long probe blot for $12 both include a nice handle. 

This still puts you at $60, but no need for a scope and mount which couls easily run more than the $30 difference from the crosman option.  From here it's up to you and your wallet

joe k

yeah dp from gta signed up here for more info and fun the more the better.
joe