another hdd

Started by 1377x, November 09, 2011, 08:20:55 PM

arkmaker †

Quote from: quickster47 on November 17, 2011, 01:23:26 PM
Rich did you ever get to do any serious testing with the one you made?  I have to admit, the resemblance is remarkable.  When did you make that one?

Carl

Yes, a bit of testing on the inventors end. I made them and sent them on to him. We were just about to make a couple of adjustments, shallower taper and v-cut the delrin ring so that it would be guided by the hammer pin and also open more as a result of his testing when all of my family started to fall apart. Family first, so it was just a matter of time before someone else would build a better mousetrap and I do believe that by using the o-ring, it may have been the crowning tweak.

The picture I have says May 28th. The one above had to be re-saved to fit the 200K limit here on the board, so that one is dated yesterday. But hey, I am not sorry for me, only the guy that had asked me to make it for him. Had I been able to continue without the interruption of the inevitable circle of life, he might be making 20 bucks a pop and not someone else. I do however wish him well as it was a good idea (at least I thought so) or I would have passed in the first place. I just hope it works for all of us.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Rich, I've read good things about it but we shall be seeing first hand tomorrow.  Like you, I also look for the gun being quieter since the hammer should not be bouncing all around and burping the valve.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

quickster47 †

Okay, took some time out of my overly busy day doing stuff that retired folks do and that would like my wife says, "What did you do today?" and I reply "Nothing."  She then says, "I thought that's what you were doing yesterday." I answer her by saying, "That's right but I didn't get finished."  ;D

Anyway I fitted one of the new HDDs to my basically box stock 2240.  And when I say box stock I'm talking about the internals because externally it has a long steel breech,  a complete 1701P/Marauder pistol trigger frame, a 2300S rear velocity adjuster I've been playing with, a brass muzzle brake and bolt handle from local CAPOF member arkmaker, and a red dot sighting device.

The gun is nothing special, just my workbench workhorse.  Right now it is shooting JSB Diabolo Exact Jumbo Express pellets weighing 14.30 grains and delivering 420 FPS average with 5.6 FPE.  As I said, nothing overly special.  In fact, it might be a little bit on the light side for 2240 guns.  But that's okay.

My HDD testing will be done over a couple of days and was started today.  First observation was what I expected and that is the gun is definitely quieter, and this is a good sign that the HDD is doing what it was designed to do.  Will report back later about the increase in shot count if there is any.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Brutuz

Would be nice if the powerlets would be weighed full and empty as their contents vary....

Happy testing Carl  :-* :-* :-*
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

quickster47 †

Quote from: Brutuz on November 18, 2011, 11:38:36 PM
Would be nice if the powerlets would be weighed full and empty as their contents vary....

Happy testing Carl  :-* :-* :-*

I think from some of your testing I saw that is what you did so the last time I bought five boxes of 25 powerlets I opened them all up and sorted them by weight.  I did this one night when I was totally bored out of my mind.  Doing this did not help.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

arkmaker †

Carl,
2 questions...

That muzzle brake looks heavy! Does it make the gun front heavy? I usually fire off a shot or two to see how it sounds. I never did with this one, just forgot before I sent it. How does it sound? Each one seems to sound a little different from the next and since I have still not made two alike, I'm curious.
Rich

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

grumpy

Since this device came with no instructions, it goes behind the bolt ? Thanks

Dave

arkmaker †

Yep, the hole fits onto the hammer pin and is pushed back by the bolt when cocking the pistol.

grumpy

Quote from: arkmaker on November 19, 2011, 02:59:54 PM
Yep, the hole fits onto the hammer pin and is pushed back by the bolt when cocking the pistol.

Thanks that what I thought.

Dave

quickster47 †

Dave, Make sure you get the o-ring facing toward the back of the gun otherwise the braking principle will not work.

Rich, this gun has a similar sound to the others with HDDs.  This one sounds like a pftttt.  You can definitely tell the HDD is working by the sound it makes.

Most interested in how it holds up and if my shot count goes up.

Yep, the muzzle brake is a little bit heavy for this gun but so far it hasn't effected my shooting.  This set of plastic grips has also been filled with liquid metal and that gives me a better balance.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

grumpy

Learned that if you cannot install this HDD with the heavier springs I have round here.

Dave

quickster47 †

Quote from: grumpy on November 20, 2011, 03:41:19 AM
Learned that if you cannot install this HDD with the heavier springs I have round here.

Dave

Dave, are you saying that if your hammer spring is not the OEM one you cannot install the HDD?  To me that does not make sense. Could you describe the problem you are having?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

grumpy

I had to remove the power adjuster and then tried 3 lighter, heavier non stock springs. Still could not cock the gun.

breakfastchef

Quote from: grumpy on November 20, 2011, 04:30:09 AM
I had to remove the power adjuster and then tried 3 lighter, heavier non stock springs. Still could not cock the gun.

Leave the end cap off the breech. It should cock.

The HDD is just long enough to require that you remove some of the end cap material. Not to the screw hole, but some amount.
Larry

grumpy

Quote from: breakfastchef on November 20, 2011, 04:39:09 AM
Leave the end cap off the breech. It should cock.

The HDD is just long enough to require that you remove some of the end cap material. Not to the screw hole, but some amount.

Will try it tomorrow and report back. Thanks

Dave