another hdd

Started by 1377x, November 09, 2011, 08:20:55 PM

breakfastchef

I ran through a powerlet on my 2300KT this afternoon with the new HDD. I saw a slight decrease in pellet velocity (-12 fps), but very minimal change in shot count (+4). So far, this device is neutral on my gun as the numbers were much like the 2300KT without the HDD. I still have a few things I want to try before I make a final statement, though.
Larry

breakfastchef

Just for sake of perspective, Below is a photo of S. McCann's HDD device next to a .177 pellet. Some forum members might be curious about how small these things are.

Larry

arkmaker †

And here is a pic of the Crosman steel breech end cap that has been ground back to the thru-hole. Grinding seems to be the easiest, because it would be hard to hold in a lathe because of the flange. If you wanted to use a lathe, you could always make a split arbor, but since it is a 3 minute job at the grinder vs making the arbor, I chose to grind. If I had 20+ to do, I would make the arbor. Anyway, grind back until you are close to the hole and you will have enough room for the HDD.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Great way to do it.  I used a drill bit through the screw hole to hold the thing so I would quit burning my fingers trying to hold it.  It also worked out as a good heatsink.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Smaug

I just put mone in my 2300T yesterday, and I have a hell of a time cocking it now.

I guess I'll take it down and grind the plug down.

If it only gets four more shots per powerlet, it is not a worthwhile upgrade, IMO.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56

quickster47 †

Quote from: Smaug on November 25, 2011, 04:10:35 PM
I just put mone in my 2300T yesterday, and I have a hell of a time cocking it now.

I guess I'll take it down and grind the plug down.

If it only gets four more shots per powerlet, it is not a worthwhile upgrade, IMO.

You can also just leave the plug out for your testing because it is only cosmetic and serves no functional purpose except to plug the hole.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

arkmaker †

So, normal shot count with a FPS range of +/- .5-10, per powerlet on a stock 2240 is around 35-40. So, if a HDD gets you 50 flat shots, then every 6th powerlet is free. (of course, that's after recouping the cost of the HDD). Add to that the benefit of less noise and fewer physical powerlet changes and I see it as a win....

Does that sound right?

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Quote from: arkmaker on November 25, 2011, 04:32:45 PM
So, normal shot count with a FPS range of +/- .005, per powerlet on a stock 2240 is around 35-40. So, if a HDD gets you 50 flat shots, then every 6th powerlet is free. (of course, that's after recouping the cost of the HDD). Add to that the benefit of less noise and fewer physical powerlet changes and I see it as a win....

Does that sound right?

I also don't remember using a HDD that I got any kind of FPS increase, nor did I expect one.  That is not one of the things the HDD is supposed to help/improve.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

arkmaker †

No, sorry for the confusion. That was not what I meant. I was talking about having the shots stay at a consistent FPS until the cart went phooey and the FPS dropped off the face of the earth. Point was that even if you only pick up 10 good shots per cart with a HDD installed, you're doing good. Should have just said that to start with. Sometimes (usually) I use to many words.

Apologies for the confusion.  :-X

Rich

quickster47 †

Quote from: arkmaker on November 25, 2011, 06:28:21 PM
No, sorry for the confusion. That was not what I meant. I was talking about having the shots stay at a consistent FPS until the cart went phooey and the FPS dropped off the face of the earth. Point was that even if you only pick up 10 good shots per cart with a HDD installed, you're doing good. Should have just said that to start with. Sometimes (usually) I use to many words.

Apologies for the confusion.  :-X

Rich

Actually my post was not directed toward you but more to the general public that might be expecting a FPS increase from using the HDD.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

millipede

i just got one of these things yesterday from Smaug here. i can barely fit the pellets into the loading spot with the hollow probe bolt im using. anybody else noticed this?

im thinking of passing it on to someone else who wants it.

1377x

Quote from: millipede on November 29, 2011, 06:58:12 PM
i just got one of these things yesterday from Smaug here. i can barely fit the pellets into the loading spot with the hollow probe bolt im using. anybody else noticed this?

you could shorten the rear of the bolt if really wanted to keep it!
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Who made the probe you are using?  I have not seen a problem with them if they are made correctly.  And it should not make a difference as to the type of HDD.

Do you have a long steel breech with the rear end cap plug in it?  If so, that could be the problem.  It needs to be shortened or removed.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

dpricenator

You snagged it before I could, If you want to pass it along, I'll be glad to mess with it and see if i can make it work.

Smaug

I'll probably take the 2300T apart again and grind down the rear plug a bit.

If millipede does the same thing, that will create more room.

I've yet to run a CO2 by the chrono and check for improved efficiency. Maybe tonight.
-Jeremy
"If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing."
Crosman 66, 1377, 2300T, 1701P / Daisy 1200, 953, & 747 / Stoeger X20 / .177 Marauder / Archer AR2078 / Weihrauch HW30s / RWS 56