Crosman 600

Started by slothart, November 25, 2011, 11:20:38 PM

slothart

Howdy all and hope the USA folks had a good Turkey Day.

I'm up north visiting my in-laws since we split holidays between the grandparents and my father-in-law gave me an early Christmas present... a Crosman 600 in the original box (it's been well used, but seems to be complete)

He owns a jewelry store and came across this 600 while dealing with an estate sale and figured I might like it.  It surprised the hell out of me.

My wife was nice enough to take a detour this afternoon so I could get some CO2 and pellets to test her out.  Unfortunately, the 600 is not holding air.  I pulled up the parts diagram and owners manual off crosman's site and I'm on the fence about taking it apart. 
Anyone with experience working on a 600 have some sage advice and/or recommendations?
Recommendation on who might have parts? 

Alrighty, back to behaving myself on the family holiday and not staring at the internet. :P
Crosman: 1377carbine / Beeman: Tempest / Benjamin: P-Rod, 310 & 342 / Sheridan: Blue Streak & Blue Streak Steroid (both rockers) / AA TX200HC

quickster47 †

This guys Blog will prove invaluable to your dealings with the Crosman 600.  There are four parts to this series on the 600.

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/crosman-model-600-disassembly-part-1.html

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

slothart

Crosman: 1377carbine / Beeman: Tempest / Benjamin: P-Rod, 310 & 342 / Sheridan: Blue Streak & Blue Streak Steroid (both rockers) / AA TX200HC

quickster47 †

Quote from: slothart on November 25, 2011, 11:30:05 PM
THANKS CARL!

You're welcome.  You will find that once you get is shooting you will go through lots of CO2 and lots of pellets.  The 600 just eats them up and spits em out.  :)

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

slothart

Got home yesterday from our turkey day excursion and had a chance to read through those blog posts more carefully, look up some more info on other sites/forums, and I think it may be more of a project then I am looking for.

I don't want to take it apart and not be able to get it back together.

I'm going to do some minor tinkering on it this week, but I may wind up offering it for sale or trade "as is" on the classifieds.

slothart

Well, she works (I think)... couple drops of Pelgun Oil on the pin that punctures the cartridge and let it sit (this one loads the cartridges with the neck towards the trigger guard like a 2240) and a another drop on the tip of the CO2 cartridge before I loaded it in and she started holding air.  Still needs to be resealed and cleaned, but the oil gave enough of a seal so that I could cycle the 600 and everything seems to be working.

Only problem being, I don't have a single .22 pellet that she can shoot.  No wadcutters and the round nose pellets I have are all too long or hollow points.  LOL
I loaded 2 CPHP in the feeder because they are the only ones I have that are the right length... they fed into the loading arm, but would not feed into the barrel.  I had to use a toothpick to push the on in the loading arm back out into the feeder tube so I could remove it.

I've got a fresh CO2 cartridge loaded in her now and I've uncocked her.  Going to see if she holds air over night.

It's kind of cool to watch her cycle

slothart

quickster47 †

That's a mighty fine looking 600 example. It is pretty amazing to watch them cycle through a shot and then through a whole series.  It was one well designed gun for its time period.  Even by today's standards it is magnificent.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Noah

Right on to the 600!

As a few of you know, I have spent a small fortune on a cherry 600 that I have not shot a single string from despite two trips back to the repair shop (for me that is 5000 miles or so via USPS). From what I gather, once you get 'er going it is a mighty fine and fun shooter. Good luck and let us know how she shoots?
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

slothart

I did a bit more tinkering and picked up some H&N and RWS wadcutters.  It will hold pressure and cycle, but it will not launch either of the two wadcutters I bought.  The pellet loads into the arm but does not get pushed into the barrel and if I manually load a pellet into the barrel, there is not enough pressure getting to it to force it out the barrel.

Since it was more of an unexpected novelty to me and there are other airguns out there I am interested in, I think I am going to offer it for sale or trade "as is", but I'm not sure what the value should be.  After a couple searches of the Green and Yellow forum classifieds, I was thinking $200 might be fair.  I was seeing non-functioning parts guns going for $150-175 and pristine NIB guns for $300-400.

To those out there who are fans of the 600, does that sound fair for gun (holding pressure & cycling, but needs cleaning and POSSIBLY a reseal), original box, and ramrod?

NorthStaR

Quote from: slothart on November 27, 2011, 04:41:45 PM
I don't want to take it apart and not be able to get it back together.

I too thought it would be a pain in the A to open one of these and put it back together. I followed the Blog mentioned and
it is the Holy Grail for this gun. I made the mistake of letting it sit for about 3 months or so before putting it back together.

My mind was blank! Nada... (Quite common for me!)

Anywho. It's actually very straight forward. The parts can only go one way and there's no duplicate parts to get confused over.
The order they come out is the order they go back and it's a "one way only" down this street! It takes me about 10 mins to do it now.

But if you don't fancy it. Well I'll gladly take it off your hands if your willing to ship to the UK (at my cost of course).

$200 for a semi-runner sounds fair to me.  ???  Let me know and we can go from there!

If you change your mind, I'll try and help you through the rebuild if I can.  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

slothart

Sending you a PM NorthStaR.

NorthStaR

Got it! PM back at you.

a message within a message!  :D ;D ;)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

NorthStaR

Double-tap!

Crosshairs

Thats a fine looking 600 a very fun gun to shoot good luck with it  :-*
                                                         mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!