any tips for indoor target/pellet trap A4 size?

Started by John 22xx UK, December 20, 2011, 11:33:37 AM

John 22xx UK

Hi guys once I get my 2240 set with some decent sights(I have none ATM) I want to join the fun in the monthly contests.

I could even try a entry without sights but that's not the problem,the problem is having a decent A4 target holder/ammo trap.

I would appreciate any advice,thanks guys.

John

eric

i use duct seal in a wooden box .you can get duct seal from places like lowes or home depot .should be under 2 dollars a brick --- 1 pound. anything solid to hold the weight of the duct seal should work as a trap .
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Crosshairs

Here is a portable pellet catcher i made with a cordless drill box and duct seal it works great i also use old news papers stacked about 4 inches thick in a cardboard box.
                                                     Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

breakfastchef

There are a couple of options. First, a cardboard box of any dimension you like filled with newspaper, magazines, old blankets and towels is the cheapest DIY project. These are effective target holders.

Second, you can build your own trap. You can use electrical panel boxes, tool boxes (like Crosshairs), or build a simple box out of wood. Duct seal putty is a popular and expensive material to press into the back of the trap. The putty stops the pellets and greatly reduces the sound of pellet impact; two very important qualities.

My traps are made from wood and filled with rubber mulch (cheap!). They work very well. Periodically, I have to change the cardboard that retains the mulch.

Larry

quickster47 †

Larry, couldn't hep but noticing your trap is starting to look a lot like mine with a few extra dimples in the supporting wood structure.  :D

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

JMJinNC

I've got 2 homemade traps, 1 a bit larger and deeper than the other. I cut a slot in mine to hold the letter-sized targets, which I print onto cardstock. Construction is 1x4 pine with a plywood backer.

If you go with an electrical box, try to find one at an agricultural supply place, as agricultural stuff does not need to meet the same safety standards as residential or commercial equipment. The equivalent electrical box will be a lot cheaper (or so I've read). I've also read that others have used portable metal cash-boxes as effective traps. Also, old desk drawers, ammo boxes, etc.

Lastly, Gardner-Bender duct seal works great!

John

John 22xx UK

Thanks guys some great ideas to consider I tried looking for duct seal in the UK and its hard to find prices, my guess is they don't wont to shock so don't advertise prices  lol

joe k

breakfastchef
what holds the cardboard in place on your target.
thanks
joe

breakfastchef

Quote from: joe k on December 20, 2011, 07:12:44 PM
breakfastchef
what holds the cardboard in place on your target.
thanks
joe

I used wire insulation hangers, but any stiff wire-like material would work. I drilled holes on either side of the box around the level of the carboard insert and pushed the wires through one side and out the other.

Larry

Serpents Den

nice tips....i've seen a few peeps using that duct seal in youtube vids and didn't know what the stuff was......approx. what does the stuff sell for?

joe k

thank you never saw the wire in first picture.
joe

JMJinNC

Quote from: Serpents Den on December 20, 2011, 08:29:53 PM
nice tips....i've seen a few peeps using that duct seal in youtube vids and didn't know what the stuff was......approx. what does the stuff sell for?
About $2.00 to $2.50 per 1lb brick.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/274092/gardner_bender_ds110_lb_pug_duct_seal

FYI - usually the package is white.

JMJ
John

JEBert

I used what I had on hand.  I had a lot of cardboard boxes.  I used one of them that was about 10" thick, 24" long and a little over a foot high.  I stuffed it with the other boxes that I had cut into pieces that would just fit and duct taped it shut.  Another one was about 2 feet tall, 3 feet wide and about 14" thick (I had a lot of cabinetry shipping boxes that were big enough to cut the layers 2' X 3').  So what I ended up with is a couple of traps about a foot thick with somewhere between 15 and 30 layers of cardboard (I didn't count, just stuffed them full).  I always put a new piece of cardboard on the front of the box with a couple of drywall screws to tape the target to.
Merry Christmas,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

arkmaker †

I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

JEBert

Rich,
Quiet huh?  That is something I don't think I have read about before but maybe I just missed it.  Do you use any backing for the target?  I use cardboard to make the pellet cut a nice round hole but it makes a good smack when the pellet hits it.  So, I am assuming that mine makes the noise as the pellet hits the paper and cardboard backing rather than the layers of cardboard behind it, which us pretty torn up, and yours doesn't have any backing except for the duct seal.  Is that correct?  If so, I might have to try some duct seal.
Merry Christmas,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)