any tips for indoor target/pellet trap A4 size?

Started by John 22xx UK, December 20, 2011, 11:33:37 AM

John 22xx UK

Found one price for duct seal £16 a lb shipped to the UK  :o

arkmaker †

Ask an electrician for Dinosaur $hit (or poop). They tend to call it by different names and that is one it is called here. You should be able to find it locally for a lot less than that!!!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

arkmaker †

Quote from: JEBert on December 21, 2011, 01:42:30 AM
Rich,
Quiet huh?  That is something I don't think I have read about before but maybe I just missed it.  Do you use any backing for the target?  I use cardboard to make the pellet cut a nice round hole but it makes a good smack when the pellet hits it.  So, I am assuming that mine makes the noise as the pellet hits the paper and cardboard backing rather than the layers of cardboard behind it, which us pretty torn up, and yours doesn't have any backing except for the duct seal.  Is that correct?  If so, I might have to try some duct seal.
Merry Christmas,
Jerry

Very quiet compared to the cardboard box stuffed with newspaper and cardboard that I was using before the duct-seal.

I do use a very thin peice of cardboard (like what comes on the back of a notepad) as a backup to my target paper. If it wasn't for that it would be really really quiet. The duct seal just take away the noise pretty well.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Crosshairs

I guess you better go with the news papers you just need to change the front now and then with new cardboard. As you can see i still use them.
                               Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

OreoGaborio

I went the ghetto route....

Stuck a thick phone book in a cardboard box.  Done.  Works   :-*
-Pete

Crosshairs

Quote from: OreoGaborio on December 22, 2011, 03:10:24 AM
I went the ghetto route....

Stuck a thick phone book in a cardboard box.  Done.  Works   :-*
There you go i use old phone books too they work just fine.
                                                          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

John 22xx UK

Quote from: Crosshairs on December 22, 2011, 07:06:19 PM
There you go i use old phone books too they work just fine.
                                                          Mike

Ah now those I can get,thanks guys

I'll still search for Sparky poop but for now phone books it will be  :)

NorthStaR

Quote from: John 22xx UK on December 21, 2011, 08:56:34 AM
Found one price for duct seal £16 a lb shipped to the UK  :o

I'm in the Uk. I use plumbers putty. The type used to seal around the waste pipe from a toilet.
About £5 a tub which is enough for a 1 inch thick layer inside a square steel target pellet trap.

A 1 inch thick layer is more than enough to silence a 12 FPE rifle at 5m!  8)

I scoop the putty into freezer bags, make them square and even, then tape them in place with duct tape.
The bag stops the putty from escaping and makes it easy to replace or take out to empty pellets.
Over time it very slowly sags downwards so now and again I just push the putty up into position and
its good for a few months at a time.

You could get 3 tubs for the price of importing the Dino poop over the pond.  ;)

It does work better than phonebooks but the phonebooks make a great addition to your backstop.  :)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

scott400f

I got a old solid wood desk drawer the one used for holding file folders. Spray painted it black packed the top half with 12 pounds of duct seal in the top half the other half is filled with layers of sheets of foil covered foam there is also a layer under the duct seal. Stapled heavy heavy card board on the front so I can replace it as needed. I have maybe $40. in the whole thing. It really silences the impact. I use big boxes packed with heavy shipping paper for his BB guns. Covered the wall behind them for the oops shots. Haven't figured out posting pictures yet but pm me and I'll email them. Need to find some place to host my pictures.

John 22xx UK

Quick update whist out with the dog one morning I found this steel box,it appeared to be from a home safe someone discarded...I thought how thoughtful I know what I can do with that,its 300mm x 200mm x 200mm 2mm thick plate just perfect for what I was looking for.

NorthStaR

Good find.  :)

I always eye up the things people chuck out like TV cabinets from the old TFT screens.
But rarely does it go any further - it's normally the wrong time like on the way to work ....!
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

John 22xx UK

Quote from: NorthStaR on February 14, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
Good find.  :)

I always eye up the things people chuck out like TV cabinets from the old TFT screens.
But rarely does it go any further - it's normally the wrong time like on the way to work ....!

I was lucky and it was only a few yards away from home,I do need to straighten the side but other than that it will serve its purpose...now the hunt for a decent rear open sight and I can start enjoying my 2240 a little more

JEBert

Love the playing card for a target.  The 1 through 10 of Diamonds make the best bullseyes.
All of the men and ladies make good practice silhouettes too.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

sandpiper

Something you don't want to hit. Apparently I should have put more stopping material in the target box   :o

She didn't see it yet but we are going on vacation soon ... heh heh.

sandpiper

Quote from: sandpiper on February 15, 2012, 01:24:51 AM
Something you don't want to hit. Apparently I should have put more stopping material in the target box   :o

She didn't see it yet but we are going on vacation soon ... heh heh.

Just looking through some old posts and remembered the hole I put in my wife luggage. We went to Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago. She opened that bag a dozen times and never noticed the hole  :-* Safe til' our next vacation!