The 357 Jigsaw Puzzle!

Started by arkmaker †, February 26, 2012, 06:53:21 PM

Rualert

Nice to find this thread, I have an older Phase I I believe that I need a valve seal, and the left grip for. Valve seal leaks with every new cart until it empties it, and the left grip was missing the clip when I got it in a box of old pistols I picked up on one of the auction sites. Did manage to get a decent older Crosman pump pistol, don't remember the model right now, but a couple drops of Pelgun oil and it cleared itself up. I am tempted to pick up at least one 357 what ever the newest flavor is for the 4-H kids to use in the modified Camp Perry shoot since the other alternative a Rolhm (spelling may not be correct) are difficult if not impossible to find, and if you do very expensive. Sorry for the off topic ramble, I just need to get mine working and a spare for the plain fun of it.  I think someone mentioned Pacific Pellet Guns, I remember they used to offer I think it was a 20 cal conversion. I think a 22 would be a better move these days since the 20's are a bit limited in choice nowadays.

Casey

mudduck48

With what I know now, about the 357, IMO, if I were you, I would not waist time and money trying to get the old one working. You will spend aprox. $14 for the new style valve then $1.15 for the new hammer spring, new end plate, new end gasket, new screen, new piercing pin, new paul, etc. + $4 shipping. You will spend at least $25 or more trying to get your $35 gun fixed. And when you fix it, it will be worth about $20. If you have never had one of these things apart, DON'T! Not only are they a royal pain to put back together, they are real hard to get to seal up. Buy a new one or get a referb, you will be much happier, believe me. ;)
http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-vigilante-revolver.html
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

mudduck48

I just learned some more info. about the Crosman 357W/3576. "They" quit making it. After telling you to go buy a new one, I tried to find one. Out of stock, Not available. They are not on Crosmans web site. Here is another gun Crosman quit selling. You can find the Vigilante, but not the 357/6.  ???

KevinP

DON'T! Not only are they a royal pain to put back together

I remember getting a refurb 357. It came loose in the box. Broken rear sight.
The broken part not in the box.

Crosman sent me a rear sight. I had my camera ready to take a
photo when I took the side plate off. ...
the parts came off/out  with it ....  :-X
took me a while to figure it out .... ;D
Kevin
Albany, New York

arkmaker †

Yep, the insides are a little tricky and the different years vary slightly, but it is doable.
That, and they just became a collectable is more than enough reason to go ahead with a rebuild  :-*
PS: love mine in single action. Very accurate.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

KevinP

They are very accurate. At some point I would
like to find someone to convert it to .22  ....  :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

mudduck48

You are right Kevin. It would be nice to see someone convert a 357 to .22.  ;)

quickster47 †

Quote from: mudduck48 on April 11, 2016, 04:14:55 PM
You are right Kevin. It would be nice to see someone convert a 357 to .22.  ;)

mudduck that would certainly give you something to do so why not take it on as a challenge.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mudduck48

Carl, I have plenty to do. That was a hint, hint to Arkmaker. 3 years ago, I sent him a 6 rd clip so he could make a .22 cal 357. We still ain't seen it. And besides, I can't even get a 357 resealed, I don't have a lath or another 6rd mag.  :P

quickster47 †

Quote from: mudduck48 on April 11, 2016, 05:38:50 PM
Carl, I have plenty to do. That was a hint, hint to Arkmaker. 3 years ago, I sent him a 6 rd clip so he could make a .22 cal 357. We still ain't seen it. And besides, I can't even get a 357 resealed, I don't have a lath or another 6rd mag.  :P

Did they ever make the 357 in a .22 caliber or has it always been .177?  Was the mag you sent him .22 or an extra .177 so that he could turn it into a .22?

Just curious cause I was looking on Ebay and thinking about acquiring one to futz around with and a .22 caliber is lots more appealing.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

mudduck48

Crosman only made it in .177. The 6rd mag was to be bored out to .22. Now, with the Vigilante, you can get a 6rd mag that is used to shoot BB's. Don't know if you could use it to make a .22 out of it.
Go here and look at the last picture, it will show the BB mag. Just buy the whole gun and go for it.
http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-vigilante-revolver.html

mudduck48

Here is the parts diagram for the Vigilante. It does not show the 6rd BB mag in the parts list. I guess the only way you can get it is buy the gun. ???
https://support.crosman.com/hc/en-us/articles/204123504-CCP8B2-Owner-s-Manual-EVP-2014-

quickster47 †

Thanks mudduck, guess I might just go ahead and bite the bullet/pellet/bb so to speak.  :D

Might give me something interesting to do when I get through with the other 33 Crosman items on my plate.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

KevinP

Quote from: quickster47 on April 11, 2016, 07:59:11 PM
Thanks mudduck, guess I might just go ahead and bite the bullet/pellet/bb so to speak.  :D

Might give me something interesting to do when I get through with the other 33 Crosman items on my plate.

Carl

I picked up 3, 6rd mags on ebay for $10 for the  Vigilante. I think they will also fit the 357  ....
Kevin
Albany, New York

mudduck48

Quote from: KevinP on April 13, 2016, 04:31:46 PM
I picked up 3, 6rd mags on ebay for $10 for the  Vigilante. I think they will also fit the 357  ....
The BB mags?