muzzle brake?

Started by Speakersrulemyworld, March 21, 2012, 12:56:54 AM

1377x

Quote from: cheewee on March 24, 2012, 03:31:53 AM
very interesting read. i am sure any device can be made to fit a firearm its just if it makes any difference when it is on there.
i was always under the impression baffles had to be used to constitute an illegal device
its a big old grey area
closed mouths dont get fed

Plekto

Basically what it boils down to is that you must purchase the airgun is question with the brake installed or from a dealer who has gone through the process of making sure it complies properly.   Or buy one that uses a shroud like the Marauder/comes from the factory that way (Air Force/etc).

- That it has taken people who do this for living several attempts to even get it right should tell you that you are guaranteed to be non-compliant if you DIY.
- Everything that you buy online can potentially be tracked.  Ordering through the mail?  Same answer - Sorry, you're taking a 15 year in jail risk here. 
- It's just not mail here that's the problem.  Myself, I wouldn't touch any of this with a ten foot pole.  No, seriously.  They can subpoena the dealer's records if they want and absolutely will have nothing better to do than track down every last buyer.  That they haven't already is frankly a bit amazing.

Just don't do it.

Get the proper permit or buy it from the factory.  Those are your only two options.

arkmaker †

But let cooler, more common sensed heads prevail........you would think the BATF has much bigger fish to fry these days, than to chase down a law abiding citizen who's only goal is to peacefully shoot an airgun in their own backyard without disturbing the neighbors. Not everyone has 5-100 acres around their home. Who's side do you think the neighbor will be on? It is ridicules  to think that the tax payers money would be spent on such a ******* thing as this when the drug problem has grown to epic proportions, violent crime is up because of the economy and ya want to bust a guy (or gal) for quieting down an airgun? An airgun????  ??? Firearms are another story, but let's face it, the LDC's we are talking about for the most part, with the exception of the Paris guy's, would blow apart on the first shot when used on a PB.

So my take is not to worry about it to awful much when used as a backyard friendly device. This country has bigger fish to fry right now.  On the other hand, taking it out on federal land while hunting or brandishing it it public would just open you up to a world of crap.

Like I said, cooler heads and a little common sense go a long way.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

arkmaker
what you say is true for the most.the atf doesnt regulate airguns so really airgunners have very little to worry about
its the overzealous neighbor, law enforcement officer or postal worker that can cause you problems.
scenerio
you have your m147 with muzzle brake attached the neighbor you have had issues with see's you shooting it in your backyard.iirc someone here just had something like this happen,they call the police saying you have a m16 with shushy thing shooting around,next thing you know the law is there looking your gun over maybe he is cool or he could be a
d :-X :-X k and arrest you have your your muzzlebrake tested you know they will mod it to fit a firearm
it drops the db by 1db and explodes you are in trouble.now your laywer has to explain they they had to mod it not you to make it a firearm.
now you are out laywer fees probably have to put the house up for bail and whatever time you spent in jail,just to be aquitted because they modded it and it wasnt your intent to put it on a firearm.
you cant say that about a paris d muzzle brake right in his ad he says it will work on a firearm

1377x

cheewee

i always get a bit nervous when buying a bottle of soda because you just never know :)
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

1377x

Quote from: cheewee on March 26, 2012, 05:41:37 AM
i always get a bit nervous when buying a bottle of soda because you just never know :)
as long as you dont attach it to your firearm and get caught!
take a deep breath and relax!!

KevinP

Quote from: cheewee on March 26, 2012, 05:41:37 AM

Would diet soda be louder ?    ???
Kevin
Albany, New York

arkmaker †

My 2240 with LDC is still a bit louder than opening up a can of soda. Doesn't taste as good either  ;)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x