Homade Pellet Trap

Started by Red Harris, March 23, 2012, 04:25:24 AM

OreoGaborio

Quote from: sandpiper on March 23, 2012, 06:56:32 PM
What are you indoor trap makers using as a buffer to keep pellets from bouncing out. I plan to angle some tin to deflect them but always looking for a better idea. Right now a have a towel that absorbs the impact.
I just use a cardboard box with a big catalog inside like a phone book or something.
-Pete

Red Harris

Thanks for the Praise. :),,,,but i Can't take the credit for this all by myself. Archer Airguns sells a smaller version in a KIT.  I swiped the general idea an Doubled the size. Its perfect for my Backyard range. I'm especially proud of the "Ghetto Camoflage" paint job, done with all the half empty paint cans I had cluttering my garage....Lol

To answer your questions.....The Blue stuff is a Heavy duty Polyurethane shipping foam. It stops my 1377 pellets at 10 pumps and is quiet. I think I will need  Duct seal if I shoot any Higher powered airguns......

The blue foam Captures all pellets and BB's. None have escaped so far.

The cut out Clipboard was also an Archer airgun Idea......

My next Project will be a Trap with some Knock Down  metal Targets with some kind of String mechanism to reset the targets so I dont have to get up and walk across the yard to reset em ;)

sandpiper

I liked the clip idea so much I made one for a friend who wanted to shoot indoors. It started with the cover from a VCR which I built a frame around. The buffer is made of egg crate foam backed by an old car floor mat and finally the VCR cover. Beings it would be used indoors I used cardboard instead of the cut out clipboard (great idea) for the paper target backer. I added a magnetic clip on the bottom and put a screw in to hold it. Dropping it off today, hope it works for him  :) 

arkmaker †

Look great. Only concern I would have is having the pellet bounce back off the foam during low powered shots. I would stuff it with duct seal. My trap had the clipboard cut out and I ended up using ducktape  in more than one area to fix the shots that hit it  ;D I do believe you have a great idea using the old VCR cabinet and  added clip to the bottom  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

sandpiper

When you mention duct seal are you referring to duct tape or are they two different materials?

NorthStaR

2 different materials.   :-*

Ones a tape the others non-setting putty (I think, I get something similar over the pond called Plumbers Mate).
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

sandpiper

Quote from: NorthStaR on March 26, 2012, 08:15:07 PM
2 different materials.   :-*

Ones a tape the others non-setting putty (I think, I get something similar over the pond called Plumbers Mate).

Gotcha, sounds like a good material to use but I wonder if there is any odor from the putty since it's being used indoors?

NorthStaR

Mine is sealed in freezer food bags. Plumbers putty is safe and odorless. It's used to seal a toilet pipe and to stay soft (watertight).

Not sure about duct seal, it may be the same stuff.
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

arkmaker †

Lowes or Home Depot has it. You would need about 10 bricks worth (guesstamate) to fill that trap. so around 20 bucks +/-

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

mcc1961

Át our lowes it is between $2.50 and $2.75 a pound.
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

NorthStaR

Looks pretty much the same as my stuff but a little easier to work with. Cheaper too (yours not mine!  :(  ).
Double-tap!

Red Harris

Quote from: mcc1961 on March 27, 2012, 12:09:43 AM
Át our lowes it is between $2.50 and $2.75 a pound.

I added a layer of Duct Seal to my Trap so I could safely shoot my Springer Rifle (HW 35).
The Foam didnt cut it for THAT job... :-X

I found the duct seal to be cheaper at Home Depot ($1.38 ) as opposed to $2.49 per package at Lowes.....
Same Stuff, same size package,,,,,,,it Pays to shop around.

arkmaker †

Quote from: Red Harris on March 27, 2012, 03:01:57 AM
I added a layer of Duct Seal to my Trap so I could safely shoot my Springer Rifle (HW 35).
The Foam didnt cut it for THAT job... :-X

I found the duct seal to be cheaper at Home Depot ($1.38 ) as opposed to $2.49 per package at Lowes.....
Same Stuff, same size package,,,,,,,it Pays to shop around.

Thanks for that! I need a new trap, so you just saved me 10-15 bucks!!
Rich

breakfastchef

Plumber's Putty and Duct Seal are two totally different compounds. The Plumber's Putty is soft and easy to work, Duct Seal (also called ballistic putty)is quite heavy/dense and much harder to shape. Plumber's Putty does not work very well for a target trap as you need many inches for it to be effective. I tried it and shot the back of my trap out. Duct seal is pretty expensive and you need several pounds to fill one small trap.

I opted for rubber mulch from the local big box store. It is cheap and light. One .3 c.f. bag filled both my traps and work very effectively.
Larry