USPS Mailing Air Pistols

Started by sandpiper, March 27, 2012, 01:01:58 PM

1377x

Quote from: Crosshairs on March 27, 2012, 01:25:05 PM
Well that is a funny thing many members will call a air gun a weapon i never do because it's not a weapon. A weapon is used to  protect yourself to kill, hunt ect.With all of my training with guns this is what i was told. Now firearms are another thing if you dont use a gun as a weapon meaning for target shooting it is a firearm. At the range i shoot at we all a trained not to call them weapons.
                                                   Mike
well airguns are not a toy it says so right on the tube
what do you classify it as then?
closed mouths dont get fed

NorthStaR

Quote from: Crosshairs on March 27, 2012, 01:25:05 PM
Well that is a funny thing many members will call a air gun a weapon i never do because it's not a weapon. A weapon is used to  protect yourself to kill, hunt ect.With all of my training with guns this is what i was told. Now firearms are another thing if you dont use a gun as a weapon meaning for target shooting it is a firearm. At the range i shoot at we all a trained not to call them weapons.
                                                   Mike

Oh, I think I've seen you kill a few birds with a couple of Crosman weapons;) Just messing!  :D ;D ;D ;D

But I do agree, they're firearms and should be treated as such. Even used in a malicious way, it is still a firearm.
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

1377x

my take on this is
if i can ship my firearm rifle to myself across state lines.perfectly legal using usps then im going to ship my airgun to whoever wants it
i have sold countless airguns all shipped usps priority mail not one problem yet

Mark5043

Here's a-little break down on shipping,and other legalities,pertaining to complete air guns,and"Controlled or prohibited items"as copied from the PA site...

Canadian residents:
Airguns
Black airsoft guns
Optics: Dot sights, lasers or scopes

California
Blowguns
Blowgun bolts & darts
Foregrips

Connecticut
Foregrips

Delaware

Dover
    Slingshots
    Slingshot ammo & slingshot accessories

Wilmington
    Slingshots

Florida

St. Augustine
    Slingshots

Illinois
Airguns over 700 fps and larger than .18 caliber

Aurora
    Foregrips

Chicago
    Airguns
    Airsoft guns
    Blank guns
    Blank gun ammo

Cook County
    Foregrips

Evergreen Park
    Slingshots

Massachusetts
Blowguns
Blowgun bolts & darts
Slingshots

Michigan
Residents may not purchase:

Pellet guns measuring 30 inches or less (overall length). Guns with rifled barrels that are 30" or less in overall length are regulated by the State and require a concealed gun permit or a state license to purchase a pistol.
    Guns that have muzzle brakes or baffles (either internal or external) that will silence, muffle or in any way reduce the report (sound) of an airgun.

Smoothbore air rifles and smoothbore air pistols of .177 caliber or less do not require a permit regardless of overall length. Also, all airsoft guns are exempt.

Michigan residents may purchase pellet guns that require state permits or licenses by following these steps:
1. Inform Pyramyd Air of the item you want to purchase.
2. Find a local participating dealer/retailer and let us know where to ship your gun. The item will be shipped to the designated dealer/retailer in your area.
3. Go to your local police department and get a permit to purchase the airgun. Each pellet gun purchase must have a separate permit.
4. After the permit is issued to you by the police, take it to the gun store where your gun was shipped.
5. After the permit is presented to the store and their fee is paid, they will give you the airgun.
6. Take the airgun back to the police department for a safety check and ballistics test.
7. After the tests are conducted and they determine that the airgun is safe, you can take the airgun home.

muzzle brakes or baffles

Minnesota

Duluth
    Slingshots

Missouri

St. Louis
    Slingshots

New Jersey
Pellet guns & BB guns: Residents can buy them from us through a designated local gun store after acquiring the appropriate firearm permit (airguns are considered firearms per NJ state law: Title 2C:39-1). Your local gun store must fax a copy of their FFL to Pyramyd Air in order for us to ship the gun you ordered. [Airsoft guns may be restricted by some local laws. It is up to you to determine if airsoft guns may be owned/possessed/used without special permits in their locale.]
Slingshots

New York
Foregrips
Wrist-braced slingshots

New York City & it's 5 boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens & Staten Island
    (incl. ZIP Codes 100xx-104xx, 111xx, 112xx-114xx & 116xx)
    Airguns
    Air rifles
    BB guns
    Blank guns
    Blank gun ammo
    Blowguns
    Blowgun bolts & darts
    Crossbows
    Lasers
    Locking folding knives with blades longer than 4 inches
    Longbows

North Carolina
Blank guns
Blank gun ammo

Pennsylvania

Philadelphia
    Air pistols
    Air rifles
    Airsoft guns
    BB guns
    Blowguns
    Blowgun bolts & darts
    Crossbows
    Longbows
    Slingshots
    Slingshot ammo
    Slingshot accessories

Puerto Rico
Blank guns
Blank gun ammo

Rhode Island
Blank guns
Blank gun ammo
Slingshots

South Carolina
Slingshots

Tennessee

Johnson City
    Airguns
    Air rifles
    Airsoft guns
    BB guns
    Slingshots

Knoxville
    Slingshots

Utah

Salt Lake County
    Slingshots

Virginia
Blank guns
Blank gun ammo

Falls Church
    Slingshots

Washington, D.C.
Airguns
Air rifles
Airsoft guns
BB guns

Wisconsin

Madison
    Foregrips
    Slingshots

NorthStaR

Quote from: Mark5043 on March 27, 2012, 09:12:26 PM
Michigan residents may purchase pellet guns that require state permits or licenses by following these steps:
1. Inform Pyramyd Air of the item you want to purchase.
2. Find a local participating dealer/retailer and let us know where to ship your gun. The item will be shipped to the designated dealer/retailer in your area.
3. Go to your local police department and get a permit to purchase the airgun. Each pellet gun purchase must have a separate permit.
4. After the permit is issued to you by the police, take it to the gun store where your gun was shipped.
5. After the permit is presented to the store and their fee is paid, they will give you the airgun.
6. Take the airgun back to the police department for a safety check and ballistics test.
7. After the tests are conducted and they determine that the airgun is safe, you can take the airgun home.

Wow.  :o That's enough to make you move state.
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

sandpiper

Quote from: NorthStaR on March 27, 2012, 09:23:31 PM
Wow.  :o That's enough to make you move state.

Obviously they don't want guns of any kind. BTW, what's that amendment those darn guys wrote .... I think it was the second one that doesn't mean anything anymore?  ??? 

1377x

its up to the buyer to know their laws.their the ones who have to deal with the consequences

Crosshairs

Quote from: woody67 on March 27, 2012, 06:46:03 PM
Mike I think that depends on the state, because I get guns shipped via UPS and FedEx straight from PyramydAir all the time. I read that PA can only ship to dealers in states where a license is needed for a gun (like NY), and you have to go pick it up from them.
Unless you meant real guns---I wouldn't know about that..
Sorry Woody im ment to say powder burners.
                                    Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

arkmaker †

Interesting thread. Co2 is a hazardous material according to the USPS, so you should not mail it. If you read the definition is states "air" powered as well, so technically, you are breaking the law when sending airguns through the mail. Now I wish I never read that, because now I have no deniability!

Also, I was looking at having a SS slide form one of my PB's blackened. I found in my research that you can in no instance ship a complete firearm using the USPS, but if I disassemble the gun and just send the slide, it is legal. A part or two, just so long as the weapon can not be assembled and used if someone were to receive the post in error.

That said, FedEx seems to be the shipper of choice for many online firearms dealers to brick and mortar dealers.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

arkmaker it says that and yet you can legally ship a firearm rifle to yourself via usps
i have recieved firearm pistols at my ffl via usps but it has to be next day air.i have received a couple of pb pistols via priority mail via the ffl also.i depends on who's behind the counter
everytime i go to the post office and mail a package they ask if it is breakable parishable or hazardous never is there a gun in there
and they have opened some of my packages to inspect the contents.i have had packages shipped to me inspected also.almost thought i was going to lose my tko but they let it go through after a few days

millipede

ive shipped a few airguns through usps and straight up told the guy what they were. he didnt care as long as there wasnt any co2 in it. i think though if you HAD to tell them what it was, say it's a "BB gun"

sandpiper

Shifting the subject a bit but still on topic, what is the average fee a ffl dealer charges and is there a fee on both sides, seller's ffl and buyer's ffl?

arkmaker †

Quote from: sandpiper on March 28, 2012, 12:51:34 PM
Shifting the subject a bit but still on topic, what is the average fee a ffl dealer charges and is there a fee on both sides, seller's ffl and buyer's ffl?

30-50 bucks and usually just on the receiving end
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

sandpiper

Quote from: arkmaker on March 28, 2012, 01:25:45 PM
30-50 bucks and usually just on the receiving end

That's more than some pistols are worth  :o  Not even worth buying a parts pistol.

1377x

Quote from: sandpiper on March 28, 2012, 12:51:34 PM
$15-$25 in TC,MN