USPS Mailing Air Pistols

Started by sandpiper, March 27, 2012, 01:01:58 PM

Capt. Thomas

More back to the OP and for the purpose of USPS.

The undisputable fact:
As several have stated...... local / state regs. aside, the USPS is required by law to follow the ATF and legal definition of a firearm. Air guns are not "firearms" and thus can be mailed..... period. Show me a USPS employee that refuses to accept a package and I'll show you "an official reprimand and policy council" about to happen. Ask me how I know this? And to add insult to injury the Station Master herself was snotty and when I very politely attempted to explain the situation, she got outright rude. She left me no choice but to start pulling rank & regs. on her and I quoted the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) chapter & verse. At that point she took my name and asked me to leave. After I finshed the formal complaint to the I.G. & the Chief Postal Inspectors Office for official misconduct, I received a very nice written apology. I didn't want to cause a scene or get anyone in trouble but I will not allow tire tracks across my back from anyone, especially someone in a supervisory capacity that it is THEIR JOB to know the regs. Unfortunately, she was reassigned, which was not my intention but so be it. She forced my hand as a legal tax paying citizen and considering where I located in the pacific, I have no other option for shipping.

The short of it:
Make it easy on your self and don't invite potential issue. Label it as sporting goods and let it go. Totally correct, proper & legal.... no issues.

Co2, or any pressurized container such as scuba tanks, spare air etc. in ANY SIZE are considered HAZMAT and should not be shipped through USPS unless the valve or fill core has been removed and the vessel has zero pressure. I know a fellow that sent a small spare air scuba tank from here on Saipan to Guam and was fined $500. They never told him how the found out what in the box or other details but they DO inspect packages at random visually, with X-ray etc. They did make it real clear to him that if he wished to contest or appeal, the fine could be as much as $10,000. Take the Co2 out  :-*

Capt. Thomas
My prayer to God is a very short one: 'Oh, Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' God has granted it. - Voltaire
Capt. James Thomas

sandpiper

Quote from: Capt. Thomas on March 28, 2012, 06:11:17 PM

She left me no choice but to start pulling rank & regs. on her and I quoted the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) chapter & verse.
Capt. Thomas

If you received an official apology our question is answered. I am curious about the wording in the DMM though because I can see how the post office personel would be confused, assuming you're referring the same section.
"
11.1.1 Definitions
The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of which is regulated by this standard.

b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.

c. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon."

1377x

OP,
maybe if you posted the wloe definition instead of a link you would get a clear answer
i know for a fact you can send firearm handguns through the usps
every hangun(firearm) i got from out of state came via next day or priority usps mail to my ffl,since they are a firearm proper paperwork has to be filed
if you are that unclear send it to a ffl they cant do any paperwork onit because its not a firearm.maybe they wont charge the receiver
by definition add a stock to your airpistol call it a carbine rifle barrel size doesnt matter because it is not a firearm
then send it
closed mouths dont get fed

storsy

Air gun is the most accurate description.
Fire-arms use a combustable power source.
Absolutely anything can be used as a "weapon", pens, pillows, words..
So no more posting any of those, including letters?
it is ok that we protect animals rights,
But much more important,
We protect our HUMAN rights.....

Scotland-UK

sandpiper

Quote from: 1377x on March 28, 2012, 11:34:24 PM
OP,
maybe if you posted the wloe definition instead of a link you would get a clear answer
i know for a fact you can send firearm handguns through the usps
every hangun(firearm) i got from out of state came via next day or priority usps mail to my ffl,since they are a firearm proper paperwork has to be filed
if you are that unclear send it to a ffl they cant do any paperwork onit because its not a firearm.maybe they wont charge the receiver
by definition add a stock to your airpistol call it a carbine rifle barrel size doesnt matter because it is not a firearm
then send it

The link was provided for anyone interested in participating in this thread. One click and you're there. The original post was created to encorage discussion regarding a controversial subject. Anyone not interested didn't need to click it and although many have said they've mailed usps, I don't see any text in this thread qualifying it legal or not.

Mark5043

Quote from: Capt. Thomas on March 28, 2012, 06:11:17 PM
More back to the OP and for the purpose of USPS.

The undisputable fact:
As several have stated...... local / state regs. aside, the USPS is required by law to follow the ATF and legal definition of a firearm. Air guns are not "firearms" and thus can be mailed..... period. 
The short of it:
Make it easy on your self and don't invite potential issue. Label it as sporting goods and let it go. Totally correct, proper & legal.... no issues.

That pretty well sums it up.USPS does ship complete airguns.I've done it many times.USPS will ship it,"but the responsibility,falls on the shipper,for any legal issues",pertaining to it's destination.Is it's important to make sure your aware of those laws.Some places take the issue very seriously.Chances are that you won't have an issue,but I'm of the mindset,of "why take that chance"?I live 60 miles North of San Francisco CA.If you get caught with an airgun in that City,you will be arrested on the spot.."even something as benign,as a Daisy Red Ryder".Even though I CAN ship complete air guns through USPS,there are places where I absolutely won't.It may be a-little of topic here,as pertaining to the OP's specific USPS issue,but important none the less....

1377x

im not going to clickon the link myself
like i said before
i have received firearm handguns legally through usps numerous times
have sent airguns numerous times through usps with no issues
if your scared go to church
or
use other means of shipping bottom line
this thread is getting old

Mark5043

Quote from: 1377x on March 29, 2012, 01:23:11 AM

if your scared go to church
or
use other means of shipping bottom line
this thread is getting old
;D

woody67

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I love this stuff....

1377x

i believe the OP's question has been answered
if that's not satisfactory
i guess we cant help

sandpiper

Quote from: Mark5043 on March 29, 2012, 01:27:50 AM
;D

Yah, that was a real knee slapper  ;D

Stating an air gun was sent or received through usps legally is a valid point. Busting my balls through smartass comments has nothing to do with usps regulations.

1377x

Quote from: sandpiper on March 29, 2012, 02:10:21 AM

Stating an air gun was sent or received through usps legally is a valid point. Busting my balls through smartass comments has nothing to do with usps regulations.
no ones bustin your balls
this thread is going in circles
you have countered what others have said
this thread is dead

eric

Quote from: sandpiper on March 29, 2012, 02:10:21 AM

exactly and i might add that this a discusion with many opinions and no need to get testy and put others off 
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

1377x

Quote from: sandpiper on March 27, 2012, 01:01:58 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before but a search didn't produce anything so I'm starting this thread. While at the post office the other day I asked the clerk about mailing air pistols and she wasn't sure but said she didn't think it was allowed. I just checked the USPS website and the below text is what I found. The question is, what is "enough force to be used as a weapon". Any thoughts?

"Summary C024 describes other restricted or nonmailable items (e.g., firearms, sharp
instruments, controlled substances, pesticides).
1.0 PISTOLS, REVOLVERS, AND OTHER CONCEALABLE FIREARMS
Definitions
The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:
a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of
which is regulated by this standard.
b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single
hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion,
spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force
to be used as a weapon."

http://pe.usps.com/archive/pdf/dmmarchive0810/c024.pdf
since no one has answered the question th op asked
and when someone replies the op want to counter it
it going in circles and no clear answer can be given
like i said before
we are beating a dead horse here

arkmaker †

Quote from: sandpiper on March 28, 2012, 02:29:46 PM
That's more than some pistols are worth  :o  Not even worth buying a parts pistol.

I was talking firearms. From one dealer to another. That seems to be the going rate in North Florida.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22