why aren't they're any multi-stroke springers/nitro guns ?

Started by DBOdude, April 09, 2012, 07:03:40 PM

DBOdude

seems like it would be simple to make a break barrel air gun that could be "pumped" 1 , 2 or 3 times to vary its out put power to make it uber versatile . some folks here probably remember the old bumper jacks 40-50 years ago ... when bumpers were made of steel :) . anyhow , if it were set up for say 500ish fps and say 700ish fps in .22 that would cover the air rifle needs for a lot of folks . easy quiet cocking for plinking with the older kids and still enough for up to a possum or raccoon that insist on being a bad neighbor .
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

Plekto

IIRC, Beeman make two pistols that have two power levels.(P1 and P11) - pricey, but it works fairly well.  You'll note, though, that a typical pumper or CO2 pistol will do a better job.  For a *lot* less money.  This is probably why they never caught on. 

Now what I'd like to see is a PCP airgun with a simple a/b method to de-power it.(switch or bolt modification or similar)   That way we could get a lot more shots at a reasonable velocity when punching paper and use full power for hunting.

Crosshairs

I just cant see how that would work once its cocked the spring is compressed and thats that. The gun Plekto is talking about cocks the spring in two different positions one cocked farther then the other. But you just never no I'm sure it can be done some way.
                             Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

DBOdude

in my idea the first stroke wouldn't completely compress the spring . just enough to get about 500-550 fps with lead . the second/final pump would fully compress the spring/gas unit to get it's full power .
maybe i'm the only old fart that remembers the old bumper jacks that we used the lug bar to raise and lower the vehicle with :( LOL 
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

eric

Quote from: Plekto on April 10, 2012, 08:53:45 AM
IIRC, Beeman make two pistols that have two power levels.(P1 and P11) - pricey, but it works fairly well.  You'll note, though, that a typical pumper or CO2 pistol will do a better job.  For a *lot* less money.  This is probably why they never caught on. 

Now what I'd like to see is a PCP airgun with a simple a/b method to de-power it.(switch or bolt modification or similar)   That way we could get a lot more shots at a reasonable velocity when punching paper and use full power for hunting.
airforce has power settings ,thinking some airarms and daystates do as well
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Plekto

But are they a matter of a switch or a simple mechanic or adjusting some valve or knob a bunch of turns?

I know on the Crosman MK1 they had a dual-stage spring setup that worked fairly well. 

cmj21973

Quote from: Booty Monster on April 10, 2012, 08:12:51 PM
in my idea the first stroke wouldn't completely compress the spring . just enough to get about 500-550 fps with lead . the second/final pump would fully compress the spring/gas unit to get it's full power .
maybe i'm the only old fart that remembers the old bumper jacks that we used the lug bar to raise and lower the vehicle with :( LOL

I remember them and I'm 39.

The problem is that sear is stationary and the piston moves where as the bumper jack's mast is stationary and the hook moves.
To implement a half power and full power setting, a second sear would have to be located in front of the original sear with a transfer bar that can be engaged & disengaged.

eric

Quote from: Plekto on April 11, 2012, 06:04:02 AM
But are they a matter of a switch or a simple mechanic or adjusting some valve or knob a bunch of turns?

I know on the Crosman MK1 they had a dual-stage spring setup that worked fairly well.
yes depends on ther gun .speaking of co2 the MKI/II sure as well as the SSP250 and a few others have a hi/lo power also
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

seagullplayer

Crosman 1377 scope, laser, tactical light
Crosman 1322
Crosman 600
Crosman storm XL
Benjamin  titan 22
Daisy 15XT
Beeman P17
Crosman Trail NP Pistol
WRS 350 .177

Martin, Harley, Goldwing and Cub Cadet, ya I'm like that...

crossliner

Full power at all times is not always good. Where I hunt(ed) rats w/ my now defunct 2100 (long story) some of them are closer than a foot away from the muzzle tip.