PumpMaster 760 Pellet Question

Started by woody67, April 16, 2012, 04:06:22 PM

woody67

So I ordered a Pumpmaster 760, but completely forgot to order pellets for it.

Does anyone have a particular pellet they'd recommend for it?

I'm looking at the Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum  10.9 grain pellets. I'm wondering if that pellet is too heavy for this gun. I'm guessing it will get pumped 4 or 5 times per shot, depending on how hard it is for Mal to pump it.

So it's either the 10.9 grain, or the 7.9 grain hollow points...

Also, this gun holds bb's. What would you recommend as far as that? I have no clue about bb's for ammo...

asset smith

i always use whatever i have for bbs and never notice much difference. but my 760s have always liked all the crosman pellets but the premiere hollow points have worked the best. hope that helps.
"The dirty dozen for the price of one."

sandpiper

I agree with the Crosman Premier pellets. I'd hold off running bb's through it because of the rifled barrel but that's just my opinion.

asset smith

depends on the 760. i think only some of the old ones have rifled barrels. both of my newer ones are smooth bore.

woody67

Yeah, all the 760's are smooth bore.
I hadn't even thought to check. I guess it doesn't really matter, except now I can buy the cheap steel bb's and it's not going to make a difference.

sandpiper

Cowray

There have been a few variations of the 76X that were rifled. I bought a 761XL (has a rifled barrel) when I was a kid, just dated myself. It still shoots great. I've been told M4-177 is based on the 760 but it has a rifled barrel. Go figure.

woody67

Yeah, the guy at pyramydair said it was the exact same platform. Same clip, same everything, except the m4177 has the different look.

I wish it had a rifled barrel, but I've heard good things about accuracy with them, so I guess it's not really too much of a concern. Plus, whatever...it's a $30 or $40 gun. No big deal....

Crosshairs

I like the lighter pellets in my 760s like the RWS hobbys.
                                Mike  8)
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

woody67

What do you like better about them?

cmj21973

Quote from: woody67 on April 17, 2012, 12:50:40 AM
Yeah, the guy at pyramydair said it was the exact same platform. Same clip, same everything, except the m4177 has the different look.

I wish it had a rifled barrel, but I've heard good things about accuracy with them, so I guess it's not really too much of a concern. Plus, whatever...it's a $30 or $40 gun. No big deal....

Check with Crosman if they have 760G134 barrel or 76SB-134 barrel assembly.
Worth a shot if you want a rifled barrel.
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C760-EVP%20&%20PL3.pdf

asset smith

crosman.com says the m4177 has a rifled steel barrel. from what i know of 760s and being the m4177 is the same platform i bet the rifled steel m4177 barrel will fit right to the 760. i'm sure because of the bolt and clip system being the same the barrel will have the little plastic chamber. from the pics i can see there is a screw in the right place to hold the chamber on the m4177. i dont think parts are available for the m4177 yet though.  ???

cmj21973

Quote from: cmj21973 on April 17, 2012, 02:39:57 AM
Check with Crosman if they have 760G134 barrel or 76SB-134 barrel assembly.
Worth a shot if you want a rifled barrel.
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C760-EVP%20&%20PL3.pdf

Called Crosman to inquire about 760G134. They show a limited stock, so the only way to know for sure is to order one. :-*
They did inquire if it was for an older model 760 or the newer 760, so be creative! ;)

Colt25

Quote from: woody67 on April 16, 2012, 04:06:22 PM
So I ordered a Pumpmaster 760, but completely forgot to order pellets for it.

Does anyone have a particular pellet they'd recommend for it?

I'm looking at the Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum  10.9 grain pellets. I'm wondering if that pellet is too heavy for this gun. I'm guessing it will get pumped 4 or 5 times per shot, depending on how hard it is for Mal to pump it.

So it's either the 10.9 grain, or the 7.9 grain hollow points...

Also, this gun holds bb's. What would you recommend as far as that? I have no clue about bb's for ammo...

My powermaster 760. It has straight rifling. Liked 7.9 hollowpoints. smacking beer cans at 30-35 yards.

Crosshairs

Quote from: woody67 on April 17, 2012, 02:29:13 AM
What do you like better about them?
There pretty accurate lighter only 7.0 gr this will bring my fps up some and there cheap.
                                         Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!