.22 PELLET DIAMETER vs. .22lr

Started by asset smith, April 26, 2012, 03:29:25 PM

asset smith

anyone know the exact o.d. of each of these projectiles? i know they are slightly different but i've not put them to the calipers as i dont have a working digital one at the moment and my manual ones are not that accurate. the reason i ask is i have an old stainless ruger 10/22 barrel i was thinking of milling the chamber/breech end to fit a p-rod style high rise breech. or possibly mill a groove on the underside of the barrel so it would work on a regular breech. i was thinking in terms of bull barrel on a 2250  ??? if anyone knows those od.s let me know

thanks
"The dirty dozen for the price of one."

1377x

if you sold the barrel
it would pay for at least half of a new tow or lw barrel
just a thought
the stainless barrels are sought after
i have one im thinking of selling just because people want them and paying a good price for them
closed mouths dont get fed

asset smith

hmm. thats a thought. i did'nt really  think about selling it. the ones the gunsmith supply store sell are like 30 bucks but they are the blued variety.  what do you think they are worth? i guess i could give it a try, but i still might chop it up  ???

1377x

i see them going for $50 before shipping
in great condition $60
i know the aguila colibri/super colibri .22lr fits in a crosman barrel.they weigh 20gr
i have seen the od of 22lr on the yellow forum.its discussed there quite a bit.
you must be planning a powerful build
its takes a lot of air to move a 32gr-43gr projectile out of a pb barrel and still have it be stable/accurate
i remember something about the rifling and low power makes the bullet unstable.i cant say for sure i never tried just read it
google 22lr od it will turn up
closed mouths dont get fed

asset smith

i am thinking more of shooting regular .22 pellets or something like rabbit magnums out of it. i think the .22lr is a couple thous larger so if anything i think the pellet would be slightly loose. but i assume the skirt would expand enough to make it a sealed fit. any thoughts?  ???

Plekto

The barrels of virtually all quality airguns and firearms in .22 are identical as it would cost too much to make custom sizes.  It's the pellets that are suffering from such poor consistency.  They get around this by cheating and having an easily deformed skirt that helps to seal it.  Many shotgun slugs (as an example) have a patch behind them to serve the same function.

asset smith

Quote from: cmj21973 on April 26, 2012, 05:25:48 PM
Something to read:
http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Airgun_Calibers_June_2003/4

thanks cmj21973 i have read that artical before but did'nt know where to find it. this is what i was looking for

"  The rimfire barrel is sized 0.222" to 0.223" across the grooves, while the airgun barrel is sized 0.217" to 0.218"."
i'm not sure but i think places like airguns of arizona have pellet tins with exact diameter tagged on the back. pellets do vary alot as plekto stated, but apparently the barrel size does differ between rimfire and airgun.

arkmaker †

Seems a pellet sizer might be the ticket. I have long thought about making one that would push the skirt of the pellet out for a snug fit in my barrel. Someday, I will give it a go....

Something to ponder and might just take the picky pellet equation away from many barrels?

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

eric

the rifling between the barrels could influence accuracy between a pellet and a bullet  http://www.airgun.co.uk/Airgun_Accurracy.html
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Nightsniper52

Quote from: 1377x on April 26, 2012, 03:49:58 PM
if you sold the barrel
it would pay for at least half of a new tow or lw barrel

just a thought
the stainless barrels are sought after
i have one im thinking of selling just because people want them and paying a good price for them
Thats how I got started in this Madness!!

Plekto

Quote from: cmj21973 on April 26, 2012, 05:25:48 PM
Something to read:
http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Airgun_Calibers_June_2003/4

That seems to be an odd practice, then, as it would make much more sense to actually use the same barrels.  I wonder what caused them to start designing ".22" rifles with almost exactly .01 inch smaller.  Perhaps some manufacturer didn't want .22 bullets to fit or somethng as lame as that and the trend just became the norm?

It seems to me that with PCP airguns, you'd almost want to use .22 ammo and barrels (actual firearm bullets (speer/horandy/etc) and barrels since you'd have the extra power to move 35-40gr.  The BC and consistency of those rounds is superb as well. 

asset smith

Quote from: Plekto on April 27, 2012, 04:55:39 PM
That seems to be an odd practice, then, as it would make much more sense to actually use the same barrels.  I wonder what caused them to start designing ".22" rifles with almost exactly .01 inch smaller.  Perhaps some manufacturer didn't want .22 bullets to fit or somethng as lame as that and the trend just became the norm?

It seems to me that with PCP airguns, you'd almost want to use .22 ammo and barrels (actual firearm bullets (speer/normandy/etc) and barrels since you'd have the extra power to move 35-40gr.  The BC and consistendy of those rounds is superb as well.

could have been mandated by the BATFE or something to prevent the conversion of a airgun to a firearm as the .22lr is the larger projectile. just a guess   ???