Got a new (to me) Crosman 88 Skanaker

Started by Cowray, May 11, 2012, 03:45:15 PM

cmj21973

Not bad at all, for that price. :-*

Have fun with it!

BDS

Rule #1, don't believe everything you read on the internet, including a long lists of "cons" about your pistol.

I have known 2 fellas (years back) who had owned these pistols and they really liked them. No, they are not a Steyr or Anschutz with the most modern era design but... compared to the high production air pistols most of us shoot, the triggers don't need grinding  :o and new axle pins and the sights actually work like, well...real sights! ;) ;D Also, with patience and some reasonable woodworking skills, you can re-form the pistol grips to more closely resemble your grip and hold requirements, there is  a lot of wood there to work with and adjustability too.

Even if Tim McMurray no longer works on these pistols, he is a fountain of info if you can nail him down for 5 minutes or so. Put together a short list of questions, some good photos, serial number and send an email or even snail mail to Tim in L.A. He will get back to you, he loves this stuff.
Brian

Cowray

Quote from: BDS on May 11, 2012, 09:18:48 PM
Rule #1, don't believe everything you read on the internet, including a long lists of "cons" about your pistol.

I have known 2 fellas (years back) who had owned these pistols and they really liked them. No, they are not a Steyr or Anschutz with the most modern era design but... compared to the high production air pistols most of us shoot, the triggers don't need grinding  :o and new axle pins and the sights actually work like, well...real sights! ;) ;D Also, with patience and some reasonable woodworking skills, you can re-form the pistol grips to more closely resemble your grip and hold requirements, there is  a lot of wood there to work with and adjustability too.

Even if Tim McMurray no longer works on these pistols, he is a fountain of info if you can nail him down for 5 minutes or so. Put together a short list of questions, some good photos, serial number and send an email or even snail mail to Tim in L.A. He will get back to you, he loves this stuff.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Tim about a month ago, when I started looking at these. Very interesting guy. He knows these things well. He said he wouldn't buy one for someone in serious competition because there are limited parts and it could take time to get one fixed. I'll probably do 1-2 matches a year with it at most, so it is perfect for me.

I wouldn't buy this for my son because he shoots like crazy. Probably 2000-2500 rounds through his gun and 8 matches since the first of the year.

I also like shooting a C02 guns because so many people say you need PCP to be competitive. I'm an engineer, I understand the issues with C02, its limitations and it benefits. I kind of like competing with something different than everyone is using.

quickster47 †

Who cares about the price, that a great gun and a great piece of Crosman history.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BDS

Quote from: Cowray on May 11, 2012, 10:29:12 PM
I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Tim about a month ago, when I started looking at these. Very interesting guy. He knows these things well. He said he wouldn't buy one for someone in serious competition because there are limited parts and it could take time to get one fixed. I'll probably do 1-2 matches a year with it at most, so it is perfect for me.

I wouldn't buy this for my son because he shoots like crazy. Probably 2000-2500 rounds through his gun and 8 matches since the first of the year.

I also like shooting a C02 guns because so many people say you need PCP to be competitive. I'm an engineer, I understand the issues with C02, its limitations and it benefits. I kind of like competing with something different than everyone is using.

Good deal, Tim's a character and a living historian of Crosman stuff :-* ... same here, mech engineer, and co2 is fine for the window or operating range it is most efficient in. Before PCP (air) became so popular, the high-end Anschutz, Walther and Steyr co2 pistols were shooting one-hole, 10 meter olympic matches all day long, so well in fact, that they were part of the influence to reduce target sizes and scoring ring sizes due to the tremendous accuracy of those near zero recoil pistols and the shooters that mastered them.  :)
Brian

cmj21973

Quote from: quickster47 on May 11, 2012, 10:59:39 PM
Who cares about the price, that a great gun and a great piece of Crosman history.

Carl

I do he decides to sell it down the road! ;D :-*

Highly unlikely though. :(

Cowray

I cleaned up the Skanaker and refinished the grip. It looks new. I am getting my co2 bottle filled today, should be shooting this evening, if all goes well.

[attachment deleted by forum software]

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

quickster47 †

In Omnia Paratus

BDS

Quote from: Cowray on May 14, 2012, 05:43:00 PM
I cleaned up the Skanaker and refinished the grip. It looks new. I am getting my co2 bottle filled today, should be shooting this evening, if all goes well.

Yup, looks good. How are you filling your co2?
Brian

Cowray

Quote from: BDS on May 14, 2012, 07:29:50 PM
Yup, looks good. How are you filling your co2?

The Skanaker came from the factory with a fill kit. You screw the adapter on the tank valve on your co2 tank, screw the gun cylinder into the adapter, open the tank valve, and check the weight. Each gun cylinder (it came with two) holds 40 grams. I have a 5 lb co2 tank being filled right now.

breakfastchef

Is this pistol purely for one-hand shooting only? I am not versed on target comp pistols, but the grips look like they would only be one-hand friendly.
Larry

quickster47 †

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 14, 2012, 09:35:24 PM
Is this pistol purely for one-hand shooting only? I am not versed on target comp pistols, but the grips look like they would only be one-hand friendly.

Yep. Most match target pistols are single hand as that is only what the rules allow.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Cowray

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 14, 2012, 09:35:24 PM

It's designed for olympic style, also called international style, which is one handed. It's fun but difficult.

arkmaker †

She do look sweet! Show us some shot up targets and numbers when you get a chance. Always good to see the results of a nice gun!!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22